It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Crook Town 1 - CLS 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:42 pm 

For me ...... another game where we beat us ...... from the opening minutes, where we didn't touch the ball and Crook got in way to easily and got a shot away .... anger dial turned up to max, unconstructive ranting all over the pitch set a really poor tone to the 1st half, some players didn't recover.

Better 2nd half more possession but mostly stuck down the right hand touchline

2 big games this coming week - hopefully we get back to doing whats given us the great start to the season !.

MOTM:

Post subject: Re: Crook Town 1 - CLS 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 am 

Poor first 15 minutes then completely dominated, Crook deserve credit for defending for their lives.
We had 4 great chances which we failed to take but we move on. Some get far too high with a win then rock bottom with defeat it’s up to us to respond.

Can you elaborate on the ranting mate?
Far too often I hear this nonsense of let’s encourage after people give ball away time and time again. That doesn’t improve people, minimise mistakes and work harder on our weaknesses and we’ll all improve. I had an interesting chat with Vince Kirkup and we were in agreement with the fact far too many younger lads cannot take any form of Criticism without answering back.
I’ve said it before but playing alongside Wakey,Brysa, Baz, Porky, Marc Irwin etc helped me immensely and toughened me up, watching them, training with them and listening to them rant at me taught me all about the NL and how to play northern leagu football.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:19 pm 

Poor start, we seemed a bit dis jointed without young Henderson wide. Crook were willing but not really to the standard of some of the teams we have dispatched with ease this season but they never stopped trying. Poor defending for their goal, the lad just seemed to walk through central defence and slip it past jack. Constant pressure in the second half but couldn't convert one of the chances we had. I think if we had got one then their heads may have went down but they defended for their lives and in the end probably deserved the three points. Need to rectify immediately i.e tomorrow night. Just one gripe I thought we could have used Hepps (M) and Cam Nichol a bit earlier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:34 pm 

Don't get me wrong Maz, there's nothing worse than a quiet team - if you're not on the pitch more often than not ..... silence :-) and I totally get a good rant gets people going ..... Saturday felt like the 1st piece of bad play be it a misplaced pass, a poor header or a run into the wrong area of the pitch got grief ...... as you say resulted in unneeded conversations which got Crook players going.

Even shouts of "calm the fudge down and start playing football" had the opposite effect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:49 pm 

yes Because some players cannot take any form of criticism without answering back like a kid. I gave the ball away 3 times Saturday and held my hand up as it was poor play. A few said come on Maz sharpen up. There shouldn’t be any comeback to a bollocking for poor play, I had no comeback and if I didn’t like was said it goes in one lug and out the other.
Whether it’s been me, Dicka, Kegs in the past we are from the same cloth, old school players

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:20 am 

Couldn't agree more Maz it is called respect. Out of the juniors at 18 I played for Birtley Joes in the old Washington league. I was the new kid on the block but would not answer back to the "old stagers" like Derek Minto, Trevor Preston, Morris longstaff, John Stanley etc because they had been there and done it and I knew that they weren't bollocking me to make me a worse player. I remember talking to Kev Middleton when he was at the Fell about this a long time ago and he just said you listen to the likes of Neil Bankhead or Tommy Oliver or Dickie Robinson or Joe Charlton because they know what they are talking about and are trying to help you to be a better player for the benefit of THEIR team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:35 am 

Spot on Lenny.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:53 pm 

Them first four players were proper players as well!! as was Neil Bankhead proper centre half!!

All them saturday afterno ons down at AEI were worth every second and especially watching a certain young someone at the time who is now an old secretary who could catch pigeons down that wing :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am 

Agree Maz, I'd never have dared said anything back to Marc Irwin or similar when I'd made a mistake. The bo!!ock!ng you got only fired you up to prove them wrong and learn from it. Game has changed massively now and it's much harder to manage players. It's very easy for lads to get dis-interested and give up or move to another team as they don't know how to take criticism. I find it so frustrating and disrespectful when a player argues back after an obvious error - take it on the chin and move on man!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:13 pm 

Those days are long gone mate :lol: but the point is right, learn from the people who know what they are talking about and I include your dad and Mr Bonney at the Moulders in that. You learn by listening and taking in what is right because as I said previously these people who are associated with your team are not trying to make you a worse player, it is for your benefit and their benefit to get to be a better player. BTW Mr Bankhead is still the hardest defender I have seen and played against, I think I still have bruises from playing against the Fell or the AEI now - why run when you can kick someone was his motto but he was very good at doing it . :lol: