It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Development league.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:14 pm 

Heshootshescores wrote:
To say getting thrashed every week is good for development I think your still a bit typsy off last night. Must be a Hebburn thing.

Depends how you look at it, for every negative and dissapointment there is a positive and a opportunity. Yes they are getting thrashed and yes it probably feels frustrating for them, but for every defeat no matter what the scoreline they'll learn and develop as a team, as individuals and a group of mates.

I know nothing about the teams they are playing but I'm assuming they are seasoned/experienced in open age football (men) and with a mixed ability across the team and age range, these lads are U19's (in reality) and still learning the trade so to speak. It's like playing Sunderland U18's v's NUFC first team (bit extreme but that's the best way i can portray it). It'll probably take them a good 10 games to get to grips with the differnece between playing U18's football to open age.

"Each to their own"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:04 pm 

Ten games. Keep up man. They went through a whole season without getting a point. The team isnt just made up of u19s either. Basicly what your saying is there in the wrong league.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm 

First of all, I admire Noel and the crew for keeping going. Secondly, I admire their ambition to be in a (relatively) strong league. It is also an expensive league with three officials for most games.

Which league would they go into alternatively?

They are probably too far away to be elected into the Crook & District league.
They would need to look a predominately Northumberland FA leagues- The Newcastle Corinthians or the Tyneside Amateur.

But what if they are happy doing what they are doing? All power to them!

Reasons why teams are disappearing and leagues are shrinking/ dying:

*growth of junior club football- some players are worn out by 16
*growth of digital gaming- football needs to be worked at. Games consoles are much easier
*growth of gym culture- why conform to a team doctrine/ fixed KO times when you can work out as you please?
*work shift patterns have changed- it is difficult to get regular players
*employers increasingly frown on active sports participants
*reduction of 'works teams'
*drug culture- there has been a huge leap in the availability and use of drugs
*popularity of the premier league- kids and families have forgotten the joy of playing local football- it's the next Neymar or nowt
*increased squad sizes- more subs= fewer players to go around
*the hard times of the pub trade. Most new adult teams start out with a boozer backing them
*the reducing pool of volunteers- can't run a club with players alone
*sneering attitudes to anyone who starts something humble that isn't the finished article within a month or two

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 pm 

Not the worst result i've seen, I remember Simonside SC 38 -0 Ryton Reserves in the Durham alliance back when there were 18 teams in it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:25 pm 

*increased squad sizes- more subs= fewer players to go around
*the hard times of the pub trade. Most new adult teams start out with a boozer backing them
*the reducing pool of volunteers- can't run a club with players alone
*sneering attitudes to anyone who starts something humble that isn't the finished article within a month or two[/quote]

Great points Johnna. Particularly the bit about sneering attitudes. Hats of to anyone who attempts to start a new team off . Its hard bloody work i can certainly vouch for that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm 

The situation at jarrow reserves seems to be that they are getting little or no help from their senior side and are certainly in a league that is beyond their physical and technical capabilities. The result will be total demoralisation, loss of numbers and the team will probably fold. The most obvious solution would be to, with the cooperation of the wearside development league, convert to one of the local sunday morning football leagues without penalties. Its not too late. Football must be fun to play or whats the point ?