It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The Old Brown Packets
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:26 pm 

Hello fellow forum go-ers.
With the season really taking shape and being one of the most competitive to date and with a lot of the teams challenging for top 6 or so not the usual bunch up there one has to wonder. Just how much money has been pumped into Wearside league squads this year? It seems a lot of Northern league lads are down in this league and as much as it may be because the league is a great competitive set up, one cant help but think that there are some dusty old wallets being opened. :lol:
Cleator celtic is no great discovery with Dunny back in the squad, them as high in the league as they are and openly saying about the undergoing changes etc. Sunderland West End have been bound over by an array of Northern League talent with the likes of Ross, Robinson, Nathan Cummings who I cant think of turning up without a brown packet. Ourselves obviously don’t get the best team in the league without the odd £10 going a stray. What really fascinates me though is the sides outside the top 5 or so who are paying but still somewhat struggling. Stokesly I know paid our very own Sean Davies to go and captain them this season, Richmond seem to be in and out with Scott Ryan to get some form back which is £. Silksworth who started poorly suddenly winning 6-0 and 5-0 and coincidently have Moodie & Muir back up top who £100 wont come cheap. Coxhoes “Buster”? and tattooed Centre half? I understand left Eastington in the Northern League which again cant be for free?

Very intriguing to see how far the league has came in terms of funding? And how many teams are seeming to achieve this with no issues also in the lower teams case are they panicking during the season and throwing money for the sake of it ? :shock:

Post subject: Re: The Old Brown Packets
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:47 pm 

Tony I think your vastly over exaggerating how much money Wearside league teams are shelling out, if any at all. Moody and Muir just play for silksworth because all their friends do and I'm of the understanding that west end are reluctant to invest in players until they are in a position to move up the pyramid and by all accounts boldon are taking that stance aswell. I'm sure the odd player gets a bit petrol money here and there but nothing resembling nl1 or 2 money

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:49 pm 

There is definitely (and has been for a few years) money being thrown about. Good luck getting teams/committees/people involved with those clubs to admit to it but I'm also interested to see how much and where.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:51 pm 

With a lot of clubs it's hard to understand as really you should be able to get a competitive side out without paying money. Jarrow managed to get promoted without doing it and other clubs have survived a long time without it! I was promoted with Stokesley and we didn't pay, and I'm involved with Birtley now and we don't pay.

I get the ambitious clubs looking to do it to get promoted - Redcar for example appear from the outside to be doing things properly and getting good sponsorship. So why not use that to benefit the team and bring in better players? They've been close for a few years now so I'm sure will do what it takes to get there this time round.

What I don't understand is the stigma that paying is a bad thing. If you are ambitious and want the best players, then they cost money. If your club is well organised (or well supported) enough to do that then hats off to the people at the club bringing the money in!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:08 pm 

razzler wrote:
Tony I think your vastly over exaggerating how much money Wearside league teams are shelling out, if any at all. Moody and Muir just play for silksworth because all their friends do and I'm of the understanding that west end are reluctant to invest in players until they are in a position to move up the pyramid and by all accounts boldon are taking that stance aswell. I'm sure the odd player gets a bit petrol money here and there but nothing resembling nl1 or 2 money

I did not mean this as a knock to any of the teams i think its great that theres so much competition and maybe i dont know so much about the teams in Sunderland as yourself but if any of the lads mentioned aren’t getting some sort of special treatment id be very surprised as there the best of the bunch in my opinion. Even recently Hall who has joined 4 Sunderland teams in 2 weeks? One thinks that must be something to do with a packet? Either that or the lad just upsets every team he visits :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 pm 

Chinny wrote:
With a lot of clubs it's hard to understand as really you should be able to get a competitive side out without paying money. Jarrow managed to get promoted without doing it and other clubs have survived a long time without it! I was promoted with Stokesley and we didn't pay, and I'm involved with Birtley now and we don't pay.

I get the ambitious clubs looking to do it to get promoted - Redcar for example appear from the outside to be doing things properly and getting good sponsorship. So why not use that to benefit the team and bring in better players? They've been close for a few years now so I'm sure will do what it takes to get there this time round.

What I don't understand is the stigma that paying is a bad thing. If you are ambitious and want the best players, then they cost money. If your club is well organised (or well supported) enough to do that then hats off to the people at the club bringing the money in!

Exactly my point Chinny if a club has the funding and ambition i say its a brilliant thing i know our lads get quite a kick from saying there paid to play for Redcar and therefore love doing so!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 pm 

[quote="Teeside Tony"]Hello fellow forum go-ers.
With the season really taking shape and being one of the most competitive to date and with a lot of the teams challenging for top 6 or so not the usual bunch up there one has to wonder. Just how much money has been pumped into Wearside league squads this year? It seems a lot of Northern league lads are down in this league and as much as it may be because the league is a great competitive set up, one cant help but think that there are some dusty old wallets being opened. :lol:
Cleator celtic is no great discovery with Dunny back in the squad, them as high in the league as they are and openly saying about the undergoing changes etc. Sunderland West End have been bound over by an array of Northern League talent with the likes of Ross, Robinson, Nathan Cummings who I cant think of turning up without a brown packet. Ourselves obviously don’t get the best team in the league without the odd £10 going a stray. What really fascinates me though is the sides outside the top 5 or so who are paying but still somewhat struggling. Stokesly I know paid our very own Sean Davies to go and captain them this season, Richmond seem to be in and out with Scott Ryan to get some form back which is £. Silksworth who started poorly suddenly winning 6-0 and 5-0 and coincidently have Moodie & Muir back up top who £100 wont come cheap. Coxhoes “Buster”? and tattooed Centre half? I understand left Eastington in the Northern League which again cant be for free?

I dont know about the rest but Buster and the tattooed one have played for one of the managers at Coxhoe quite a few times before and from what I can gather he took them to Coxhoe after they both packed Easington in when their management went. Cant see Buster playing for nowt tho to be fair.. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 pm 

I don't see the problem with it myself.
Redcar have big ambitions so if they can afford it good luck to them.
Silksworth were struggling without the two ginger lads up top at the start of the season. Something has made the two of them return and the results seem to have turned around. I wouldn't be surprised to see Silky pick up a cup this season as unfortunately for them any league aspirations are long gone.
It's well known that Sunderland West End are paying players, but once again good luck to them too. If a footballer has the chance to earn a couple of quid to help cover his travel costs and time lost from work why shouldn't they benefit?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 pm 

Buster and Shane have played for Don before for free, so it wouldn't surprise me if its happenng again. Both good lads to have around as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 am 

stoaty fox wrote:
I don't see the problem with it myself.
Redcar have big ambitions so if they can afford it good luck to them.
Silksworth were struggling without the two ginger lads up top at the start of the season. Something has made the two of them return and the results seem to have turned around. I wouldn't be surprised to see Silky pick up a cup this season as unfortunately for them any league aspirations are long gone.
It's well known that Sunderland West End are paying players, but once again good luck to them too. If a footballer has the chance to earn a couple of quid to help cover his travel costs and time lost from work why shouldn't they benefit?

The two gingers were injured and or swanning around the Caribbean. Worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 am 

andy_pool wrote:
Buster and Shane have played for Don before for free, so it wouldn't surprise me if its happenng again. Both good lads to have around as well.
Assuming "Buster" to be David Paul, he also signed for Crook Town on Friday gone.
From Twitter:
@crooktown_afc wrote:
He's back ........... @bustapaul9 has returned to the club from @Official_ECAFC #welcomehome #bustasback

https://twitter.com/crooktown_afc/statu ... 8464723968

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am 

Looking at the other thread on here the manager at Coxhoe resigned and the other managers and coaching staff went with him probably why Busta has gone to Crook.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:35 pm 

andy14 wrote:
]

The two gingers were injured and or swanning around the Caribbean. Worth every penny.
[/quote]

Little Tony seems to think they only came back for Brown envelopes?
Stuck to your goings on down Teesside Tony, I don't think you're as informed as you like to make out :D

So are we to assume the two ginger Silksworth forwards didn't only come back for money then? But they are getting paid? Is Silksworths budget as big as West Ends? Who is Little Tony in the real world?
Questions, questions....................

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:59 pm 

Both at Silky are useless. Definitely won't be getting paid a penny.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:58 pm 

razzler wrote:
Both at Silky are useless. Definitely won't be getting paid a penny.

After watching Silky struggle against a pub team from the Alliance I think you might be correct