It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: SAFC v Hartlepool tonight?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:12 pm 

Is this still on?

Nothing on twitter from either side?

Post subject: Re: SAFC v Hartlepool tonight?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 pm 

The game is on as i've seen a picture of the Hartlepool FC players at Eppleton CW's ground

DONT LOSE THE FAITH!!!!!

1st Team - NL North
#CoxhoeFanChris
#EveshamFanChris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm 

Behind closed doors apparently.....and no, I am not joking.

I wonder what excuse SAFC come up with for this one.....potential crowd trouble perhaps, or maybe they are expecting such a big crowd they won't be able to cope.......it's laughable, it really is.....behind closed doors...ha ha ha ha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm 

FT. @SunderlandAFC U23s 5-0 @hpoolfc. According to Katie and Lee on Twitter, who appear to be behind those closed doors. https://twitter.com/KatLee_necgcpl/stat ... 0345333766

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

Post subject: Sunderland U23s 5-0 Hartlepool FC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:40 pm 

http://wp.me/p4i04N-42H
Here's my report from tonight's Durham Challenge Cup First Round clash between Sunderland U23s and Hartlepool FC where a Benji Kimpioka hat-trick helped Sunderland to a 5-0 win in a game that was played behind-closed-doors.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:41 pm 

Behind-closed-doors because of "stewarding issues" apparently.
FC are getting absolutely nothing from it. Shocking stuff.
Anyway, I was there and this is what I thought of it. http://wp.me/p4i04N-42H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 pm 

SAFC is a complete shambles at the moment, from turning their backs on the ladies team and chucking them out of both Hetton and the Academy for training, to stuff like this. Not a peep from them on the website all day and nothing on twitter, facebook either.

I did not find out it was a BCD job till I got there and I wasn't the only one. I ended up watching the first half over the fence from the trees behind and was even asked to move from there by a steward. Whilst I fully accept the stewards authority inside the ground, I strongly suspect he has no jurisdiction over people standing on the public land outside the ground and if they want to stop people watching from there then put up a bigger fence!!

Thankfully the Bob Paisley bar was open by the time the second half started and I watched the rest of the game in more comfort from the balcony overlooking the ground and spent the cash I would have given to SAFC on a pint at the bar instead.

I have no doubt this will be down to more penny pinching. Probably to save paying stewards etc. I have already been to Durham Cup ties at Tow Law and Whickam this season and they don't seem to have an issue yet a so called fully professional team do. I have been advocating Sunderland entering this competition more regularly than they do, as they are the most senior professional side in the county, but for god sake, if you are going to enter, do it and the club justice and do the thing properly or just withdraw to save further embarrassment.

PS - I bet SAFC will be advertising it fully and charging the max they can if they draw South Shields at home in the next round. I know the club are in severe debt but saving a few hundred quid on stewards at the expense of a decent Wearside league club like Hartlepool and to the detriment of fans who actually just want to support a struggling club, is nothing short of pathetic.

Last edited by Shy Tall Knight on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 pm 

Shy Tall Knight wrote:
SAFC is a complete shambles at the moment, from turning their backs on the ladies team and chucking them out of both Hetton and the Academy for training, to stuff like this. Not a peep from them on the website all day and nothing on twitter, facebook either.

I did not find out it was a BCD job till I got there and I wasn't the only one. I ended up watching the first half over the fence from the trees behind and was even asked to move from there by a steward. Whilst I fully accept the stewards authority inside the ground, I strongly suspect he has no jurisdiction over people standing on the public land outside the ground and if they want to stop people watching from there then put up a bigger fence!!

Thankfully the Bob Paisley bar was open by the time the second half started and I watched the rest of the game in more comfort from the balcony overlooking the ground.

I have no doubt this will be down to more penny pinching. Probably to save paying stewards etc. I have already been to Durham Cup ties at Tow Law and Whickam this season and they don't seem to have an issue yet a so called fully professional team do. I have been advocating Sunderland entering this competition more regularly than they do, as they are the most senior professional side in the county, but for god sake, if you are going to enter, do it and the club justice and do the thing properly or just withdraw to save further embarrassment.

Totally agree.
Imagine if a Northern League club asked to play a Durham Challenge Cup game behind-closed-doors!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 pm 

connorandblitz wrote:
Shy Tall Knight wrote:

Thankfully the Bob Paisley bar was open by the time the second half started and I watched the rest of the game in more comfort from the balcony overlooking the ground.

Totally agree.
Imagine if a Northern League club asked to play a Durham Challenge Cup game behind-closed-doors!

I suspect they would be thrown out of the competition. Maybe its time the Durham FA grew a pair and hold SAFC to account on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:14 pm 

Shy Tall Knight wrote:

Thankfully the Bob Paisley bar was open by the time the second half started and I watched the rest of the game in more comfort from the balcony overlooking the ground and spent the cash I would have given to SAFC on a pint at the bar instead.

PS - I bet SAFC will be advertising it fully and charging the max they can if they draw South Shields at home in the next round. I know the club are in severe debt but saving a few hundred quid on stewards at the expense of a decent Wearside league club like Hartlepool and to the detriment of fans who actually just want to support a struggling club, is nothing short of pathetic.

Well said, the Fc lads will have been buzzing at the draw to be let down by a pro club who obviously dont mind riding rough shot over grassroots football..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 pm 

Time for the Durham FA to act and either throw SAFC out of the competition or make them compensate Hartlepool FC generously....but we all know that this won't happen don't we as the County FA are spineless.

Stewarding issues.....I'd like to know what they are, but in truth SAFC will just lie through their teeth to get away with it all.

Just think about this one....how much money will they have actually saved.....it will only be a few hundred pounds, yet their underperforming first team players earn fortunes..............SAFC screwing grassroots clubs that really need the money.......shocking !!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:48 pm 

Sir Rodney Effing wrote:
Time for the Durham FA to act and either throw SAFC out of the competition or make them compensate Hartlepool FC generously....but we all know that this won't happen don't we as the County FA are spineless.

Stewarding issues.....I'd like to know what they are, but in truth SAFC will just lie through their teeth to get away with it all.

Just think about this one....how much money will they have actually saved.....it will only be a few hundred pounds, yet their underperforming first team players earn fortunes..............SAFC screwing grassroots clubs that really need the money.......shocking !!

I agree mate and it pains me as a lifelong Sunderland fan who watches them at all levels, including the Womens' teams.

They will have saved coppers in the great scheme of things but will receive a huge amount of negative publicity. There is already a thread on the SMB about tonight's events.

There are economy's and then there are false economy's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 pm 

I also see they have taken down the comments on the official Sunderland AFC Facebook page about fans not getting into tonight's game and the fact that it was behind closed doors.........if they make these kind of decisions then they should have the backbone to accept the brickbats that come with it...........they are running it like a dictatorship.

Post subject: Re: Sunderland U23s 5-0 Hartlepool FC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:55 am 

connorandblitz wrote:
http://wp.me/p4i04N-42H
Here's my report from tonight's Durham Challenge Cup First Round clash between Sunderland U23s and Hartlepool FC where a Benji Kimpioka hat-trick helped Sunderland to a 5-0 win in a game that was played behind-closed-doors.

Perhaps if Sunderland do this behind closed doors policy again the away club should ask people on their guest list for a donation that's half the cost of what would have been the admission price. 70 on Hartlepool FC's guest list last night so well done them for that. But last night's game stopped them from coming away with a couple of hundred quid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm 

A statement taken from the Hartlepool facebook

We have been made aware of the various comments on social media, message boards etc regarding last nights game being played behind closed doors and feel we should comment.

When the draw was first made Sunderland AFC generously offered to switch the tie to ourselves and allow us to keep all the gate receipts, unfortunately as we don't have floodlights at our home ground we were unable to take them up on the offer.

The game was then scheduled to be played at the Academy training ground before being switched to Eppleton late last week.

Due to a large event already taking place at the Hetton Centre the same night, the lack of available parking and the short amount of time to get the required stewarding and medical staff needed a decision was made to play the game behind closed doors.

Whilst this wasn't the ideal scenario Sunderland couldn't have been more helpful in ensuring the game went ahead and allowed players families to attend.

Last night was a fantastic opportunity for our young players to test themselves against full time professionals and we were proud of the way they conducted themselves.

We would like to thank Sunderland Afc for their hospitality and wish them all the best for the rest of the season.