It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bishop Auckland vs GTFC Saturday 25th August
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:30 pm 

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:37 pm
Posts: 0
Location: Guisborough
News Release: Monday 28th August 2017

Priorymen pick up three deserved points

Bishop Auckland 2, Guisborough Town 4
(EBAC Northern League Division One)

Guisborough carried out what they have threatened to do several times in recent weeks when their exciting, attacking football yielded an excellent win and added to Bishop Auckland’s blues.

The game began at a frenetic pace and each time the visitors attacked, they looked capable of slicing open the home defence. The pace and trickery of Roberts and relentless pressing and harrying from Goldsack immediately put the Bishops’ defence on the backfoot and it was Stephen Roberts who skipped past his marker and coolly slotted home after just seven minutes. Having scored twice in the forty-five minutes he played on Thursday evening against Newcastle Benfield, Roberts had scored three goals in the space of only 52 minutes of football. His play threatened to add more to this tally and as the home defence were stretched, a ball into the box was knocked on by Lovatt and fell for Jack Connor who slotted home to give the Priorymen an excellent early two goal advantage.

With Lovatt returning to the heart of the defence, Robinson organising and barking orders and the midfield pairing of Hugill and Connor working effectively together to both protect the back four and to spring Guisborough onto the offensive, Guisborough looked as good as at any point in recent weeks. A third goal before the half-hour mark may have killed off the home side, who were yet to register a point from their games this season. As the ball fell to Roberts on the edge of the area he placed his curling right footed shot towards the corner. To most onlookers, it looked as though he had scored. However, the ball skimmed past the upright and allowed the home supporters to breathe again.

Perhaps spurred on by this narrow miss, Bishops themselves threatened on the counter attack. Andrew Johnson has been a thorn in Guisborough’s side on every occasion we have played against Bishop Auckland and famously scored two brilliant goals out of nothing two years ago to secure all three points. Although rumoured to be only half-fit, Johnson always carries a goal threat. Bishop Auckland won a free kick twenty five yards from goal. The well struck shot was well saved by Nixon, but Johnson was quicker than the Guisborough defence to react and raced in to tap in the rebound. At this point, Bishops were in the ascendency. Bishops' centre forward James Fairley acted as a good foil to Johnson. His direct running into the penalty area resulted in a thumping effort crashing into the post when perhaps a sideways pass to Johnson was the better option. The half-time 2-1 scoreline was a fair reflection of play and whilst it is a touch clichéd, the next goal was likely to decide which team went on to take all three points.

To the delight of the visiting support it was the Priorymen who restored their two goal cushion in the early stages of the second half. Ferguson's pinpoint left footed cross to the far post was met by Roberts who nodded the ball home. By now play became increasingly stretched and as Bishops themselves threatened, their forays into the Guisborough half left them very vulnerable to being hit on the break at pace. With fifteen minutes remaining, Goldsack received the ball on the left hand side of the area and had the vision to see the run of the excellent Jack Connor who bravely slid in to steer the ball perfectly into the far corner and effectively seal the three points.

There was still time for Bishops to achieve a further consolation as Trotter neatly turned in from close range. However, Guisborough had the greater verve and attacking intensity overall and fully merited the three points.

A managerial dilemma

On the previous Thursday, Town travelled to Newcastle Benfield. With several players carrying knocks and just forty-two hours separating one game from the next, Gary Foster had the difficult decision to make regarding how to set up against the experience of Benfield and with which playing personnel. Leaving Roberts, Hugill and Goldsack on the bench to save their legs, Guisborough trailed 2-0 at half-time. Despite going 3-0 down, the introduction of the aforementioned players totally changed the complexion of the game. Roberts quickly made it 3-1, then 3-2. A second half hat-trick narrowly eluded Roberts as he skewed the ball wide. With Guisborough in the ascendancy and Benfield at sixes and sevens, the home side then delivered a killer blown when Donninger scored his third goal of the evening as Guisborough pushed forward in numbers in an attempt to pinch a point.

Whilst Guisborough were left to wonder what might have been, the decision by Foster was totally merited and a shrewd move to enable his squad to compete effectively against Bishop Auckland. They achieved this with aplomb.

Guisborough now face two more important challenges over the next seven days. Firstly, they entertain in-form Dunston on Wednesday 30th August (kick-off 7.45p.m.) and then travel on Saturday 2nd September to Penrith. Whilst Penrith's opening day FA cup victory over West Auckland has not yet translated into league success, Penrith are always competitive and as ever, Town will need to be at their best to secure points on their travels


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group