Switch to full style
Forum rules
Post a reply

Wednesday 16th August GTFC vs Consett

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

Tomorrow we host Consett at the KGV Stadium for our first home league game of the season. The 2 games so far this season have resulted in 1 point for The Priorymen after a spirited comeback on Saturday against Newton Aycliffe. Consett are yet to gain a point but have only played one game away to Dunston on Saturday with a 2-0 defeat.

Town conceded 7 goals against Consett last season with a 3-3 thriller at The KGV before a 4-1 defeat later in the year

Jack Connor returns to the squad for the 7.45pm tie

Admission £6 for adults and £3 for concessions

Re: Wednesday 16th August GTFC vs Consett

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Bitter Sweet for Guisborough as defensive lapses allow Consett to snatch all 3 points

Guisborough Town 0 Consett 2

(EBAC Northern League – Division One)

Consett striker Michael Sweet scored two second half goals to dash any hopes of a Guisborough Town revival at the KGV on Wednesday.

After their stirring comeback from three goals down at Newton Aycliffe on Saturday, optimism was high in anticipation of the Priorymen further consolidating their recent improvement.

But not for the first time against Guisborough, Consett’s prolific striker Michael Sweet turned things sour for the Priorymen when after a goal-less first half he netted two opportunistic goals midway through the second half to give his side a 2-0 victory.

It was tough in one sense on the Priorymen who fought hard but in the end they proved the architect of their own downfall when defensive slips twice let in Sweet on 61 minutes and 70 minutes and he beat Guisborough keeper Jordan Nixon first with a hard low shot and then with a looping header.

The first half was a pretty dour affair with neither side showing any real penetration up front although first Guisborough winger Steve Roberts went close with a great shot on 25 minutes which just cleared the bar. Then three minutes later Consett’s Michael Mackay forced a good save from Jordan Nixon in the Town goal.

Guisborough full back Anthony Snook saved his side in the 41st minute with a great tackle to deny Mackay.

But just after the hour mark in the second half Snook fluffed an attempted clearance which allowed Sweet to run clear and score to put Consett 1-0 up.

The goal had been building as Consett came out after the interval with more purpose and cutting edge which had been largely absent from both sides’ play in the first half.

And even before Sweet’s opening goal Guisborough keeper Nixon had twice been called into action to make smart saves from Consett skipper Daniel Craggs in the 53rd minute and then a great stop from Sweet on 55 minutes.

Just before those two incidents Guisborough had two good chances of their own but Roberts’ intelligent long-range shot was blocked and then a Joe Ferguson shot whistled wide across goal.

In the 70th minute, however, Sweet doubled his side’s lead when Guisborough again failed to clear the ball and the Consett centre forward guided a looping header over Nixon’s head and into goal.

Guisborough tried hard to get back into the game but they just couldn’t apply the final telling touch and it was actually Consett who went closest to increasing their lead but in the end they were content to see the game out to a 2-0 victory.

Play became niggly and tempers frayed in the last 20 minutes and the referee produced four yellow cards in that period with Consett’s Shaun Ryder and Guisborough’s Ben Hugill, Charlie Marshall and Tom Bligh all cautioned.

Guisborough’s lengthening injury list wasn’t helped by a worrying calf injury to winger Steve Roberts 10 minutes from time which resulted in the Priorymen playing out the game with 10 men.

The fast and tricky Roberts comes in for some harsh treatment at times from opponents not averse to resorting to some rough stuff to stop him.

And even before kick-off Guisborough suffered another blow when in the warm-up central defender Matty Lovatt aggravated a foot injury he sustained at Newton Aycliffe and had to be replaced by Snook.

As a result of the defeat, Guisborough slipped further down the table with only one point from three games.

The attendance was a fairly healthy 151.

Guisborough return to FA Cup action on Saturday 19 August when they entertain Shildon at the KGV Stadium in the Preliminary Round (KO 3pm).
Post a reply