It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Steve Dowling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:09 pm 

Guisborough Town announce resignation of popular manager Steve Dowling after run of heavy defeats

Guisborough Town have reluctantly accepted the resignation of their manager Steve Dowling following last night’s 5-1 defeat at fellow relegation strugglers Ryhope CW.

With only three league wins out of 22 games so far this season, Guisborough are firmly rooted to the bottom of the table and currently stand seven points away from safety.

‘Dowlo’ as Steve is affectionately nicknamed by the KGV faithful stepped up from assistant manager to manager when former Town boss Chris Hardy moved to Whitby Town in October 2015.

Since then the unlucky Dowlo has had to withstand the loss of the equivalent of an entire squad of quality players to other clubs, chiefly Whitby Town and so far this season virtually every member of his new squad has been missing through injury at some point.

Guisborough Town Chairman Don Cowan commented: “After the defeat at Ryhope Steve Dowling offered to resign and It was with great regret that the Club reluctantly accepted Steve’s decision.

“He was worked incredibly hard over the past 12 months since he took over as manager and particularly since the start of the season in the face of great adversity to pull around the fortunes of the club we all love so much.

“It is typical of Steve that he has decided to step aside in such a dignified way to allow us to appoint someone else at the helm who hopefully can try to bring about the much-needed revival we all want so much.

“I would like to place on record our heartfelt thanks to Steve who has done everything he possibly could do and we wish him very well for the future,” added Don.

For Guisborough’s next game at home to Whitley Bay on Saturday, 26 November in charge of team affairs will be current Assistant Manager Dave Markham and first team coach Chris Fairless.

Beyond that the Club hopes to be in a position to make an announcement about a permanent new manager as soon as possible.

Steve Dowling commented: “My decision to resign has been a difficult one but after last night’s defeat at Ryhope I feel a new face with new ideas is the way forward for this great club.

“I worked as hard as possible to turn things around but it's tough when you lose 12 members of last year’s squad. I thought I could build a good team and tried every avenue but ultimately to no avail.

“Out long injury list this season certainly hasn't helped but that's not the only reason for our poor performances.

“I've been involved in non league football for 34 years and 19 years of that coaching, so I think I deserve a rest!

“I would like to thank all the people associated with Guisborough Town and hope that my time spent with them twice as a player and three times on the management team wasn’t wasted.”

He added: “I'm sorry to leave but the future wellbeing of the Club is the main concern and not me or any one individual.”

For further information about Guisborough Town please contact Club Press Officer Bill Perfitt on e-mail at: bperfitt@aol.com

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxjrAGVO3j-tlhQAK4tVtQ

Post subject: Re: Steve Dowling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:43 pm 

Feel sorry for Dowlo who is a really nice bloke and contributed a huge amount towards the success we had under Chardy. Our current plight, sad though it is, can hardly be blamed on him at all and whilst we remain in the NL the cycle may well continue! Probably the correct decision by the club, although I personally think it might be too late and we need to start planning ahead with NL2 in mind. Just my views, that's all.

Cheers for everything Dowlo. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm 

Steve is a top bloke and results from last year show that with the personnel we had last year that things were very different in terms of results.

Football is cyclical, as we all know.

It must be remembered what a huge role Steve played in the development of the team over the last five years. He was part of a team of people who brought on young talented players and helped to develop them. Look at Johnson at Gateshead. Dowlo and the rest of the management team really got him back on track, sharpened him up physically and sharpened his approach mentally.

None of this will be forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:18 am 

Andy Campbell is out of work. Would be a good addition to Guisborough. Many interested applicants?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm 

[quote="mrgreaves"]Andy Campbell is out of work. Would be a good addition to Guisborough. Many interested applicants?[/quote)

Didn't notice it advertised.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 pm 

Well they must be interviewing some candidates as they hope to make an announcement soon.

If your interested put your CV in :wink:

Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:26 pm 

Sorry, only reason I asked was I'd heard they were promoting from within but was corrected on that so wondered had they advertised.

The two lads entrusted with this weekend might just turn it around. Good luck to them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 pm 

I hope they do turn it around.

I just think Andy would be a good choice. I know it never worked out at West Auckland but the team he put together their is getting results now.

Only time will tell.