It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Morpeth v Guisborough Town
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm 

Tomorrow we head off up to Northumberland to visit Morpeth in the FA Vase game.

We last played them in our promotion and North Riding Cup winning season in 2010-11. We comfortable beat them twice in the League games but they did knock us out of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup 2-1 at the KGV.

Morpeth supporters and players will however be glad that most of the scorers of the 14 goals in the two League games (9-1 and 5-1) will not be wearing the Guisborough Town shirts tomorrow. David Onions scored 5 but is now at Marske United, Chris I'Anson scored 2 and is no longer playing, Michael Roberts scored 1 but he is playing in Australia now, Tom Portas and Shane Henry both scored 1 and both are now at Evo Stick Whitby Town.

But that does leave 4 goals unaccounted for and they all were scored in the 9-1 game by the same player Luke Bythway who will be returning to the Squad and eager to get back on the scoresheet after several games out.

Coach will leave KGV at 11.30pm.

30th Season in the Northern League 2014-15

Current holders of North Riding Senior Cup 2013-14 and the Eric Powell Charity Cup

Follow on twitter @guistownfc

Post subject: Re: Morpeth v Guisborough Town
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:51 pm 

we lost one nil. Goal in extra time on 119 minutes.

Current holders of North Riding Senior Cup 2013-14 and the Eric Powell Charity Cup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 pm 

Saturday 13th October 2012

FA Vase

Morpeth 1 Guisborough Town 0 (AET)

Escritt, Roddam, Casey, Bishop, Gell, Guy, Lewis Wood, Johnston, Stewart, McPhillips, Poole. Subs: Gary Wood, Jameson, Luke Bythway (on for Guy 70), Evans (on for Stewart 75 ), Steel

The first half was a very scrappy affair on a heavy pitch with both sides struggling to get a strangle hold on the game and no surprise the half time score was 0-0.

Second half was a similar half to the first although Morpeth did have a few chances either saved by Ben Escritt, the woodwork or the assistants flag.

So into extra time we went and at that stage the game could of course got either way but just as it looked like the tie was to be decided by penalties Steven Anderson scored for the hosts right at the very end 119 or 120 minutes.

Two hours of play and Chris Hardy reflected "there was little between the two sides. However I can't have any complaints about losing today's game as this was a poor display by ourselves. We will now brush ourselves down and regroup for Wednesday fixture with local rivals Billingham Synners."

All at Guisborough Town thank Morpeth for their hospitality and wish them well in the next round and for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 pm 

Best team wanted it more and won. Really disappointing. :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:20 pm 

Tough conditions against a good side...

My take on things here:

http://www.farfromthemassivecrowds.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:04 pm 

Nice report Mark. Such a shame that after whats been a very good start of the season by us, we crash out early in the F.A. Vase. I think that the expectations going into this match made the defeat feel worse, though in all fairness Morpeth were no mugs and deserved to go through. Good luck to them in the next round.

Is it me or is our final 3rd looking a bit of a worry? I know we have a few games in hand, but we have scored 15 league goals this season so far, which is well below most sides including a few struggling. Take yesterdays match. Not for the first time this season, we created or should I say started numberous 'promising' attacks without ever looking dangerous with a genuine goalscoring opportunity. I think we had 2 in 120 minutes, Morpeth had several before the 90 was up and could/should have been 2-0 victors in normal time. Are we trying to hard at times?

I hope this doesn't sound like a whinge since we've been impressive so far, but I hope when we go forward we start to finish a few more of our good build up play! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:20 am 

Our defense is very good and our midfield exceptional this season.

But apart from Luke Blythway I dont think we have a striker who will get above double figures this season.

Evans looks good at everything except finishing so far.

Its a shame Earl never stayed as he could have been the missing link. :(

I still fancy top 10 though and that would be good progress this season.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]