It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wakefield 1-1 Garforth Town
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:00 pm 

Marc Roberts' equaliser in stoppage time earned a point for a lacklustre Wakefield side who deserved to lose against Garforth at College Grove.

From www.wakefieldfc.com

Wakefield made one change to the eleven that drew with Radcliffe on monday night with Andy MacManus starting in midfield in place of the suspended Mark Wilson.

The visitors went in front on 17 minutes when Jan Zolna could only parry a curling effort from the right wing and Tom Greaves nipped in to stab the ball home.

Jon Froggatt miscued a difficult effort and Craig Thompson headed over for Wakefield as they searched for an equaliser.

Zolna was on hand to deny Chris Ovington at the other end before Marc Roberts and Chris Howarth both placed efforts wide just before half time.

In the second half Wakefield struggled to create chances. Zolna did well to save a Tom Claisse free kick and then watched another free kick fly wide, this time Darren Thornton was the Garforth player to strike it.

Garforth goalkeeper Craig Ellison kept out a MacManus effort and as time ticked on it looked like Garforth were going to hang on for the three points.

However, Roberts rose to head in an Aidan Morris corner in the sixth minute of added time to earn Wakefield a share of the spoils.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Marc Roberts

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Morris, Laight, Milnes (c), Roberts, Froggatt, MacManus (Pleasants 83), Thompson (South 45), Howarth, Ferguson (Henson 75).

Subs Not Used: Shooter, Glavin.

Attendance: 121

Post subject: Re: Wakefield 1-1 Garforth Town
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:06 pm 

Pretty hard to get the game in perspective, i thought that Garforth were the best team by a distance,we went in front with a disputed goal,we were stood behind the goal,it appeared that our player challenged the keeper and put in the rebound,anyway to most peoples amazement the ref gave a goal,although i thought 1st half we were in control we never got the 2nd goal,2nd half i think the Wakefield keeper made only 1 save ,our keeper was the busier of the 2,i still didn't think that Wakefield would score,however in injury time a header went in for the equaliser,Garforths problem is that we can not hang onto a lead,this happens regular,probably today we were unlucky with injuries at the back,but we have had this problem for a while now leading to many points being dropped.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:16 pm 

Garforth deserved to win, Wakefield improved in the last twenty minutes or so but it still wasn't good to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:23 pm 

I agree, Garforth should have had the game sewn up,with all due respect i have seen better performances by Wakefield teams against us,having said that given our current form i would have settled for a draw beforehand,BUT,once again we let slip a winning lead so to me a draw is a poor result.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:37 pm 

I could not make this game due to being in Leeds, Wakefield need to keep working hard to Gel, and find the finnishing touch in front of the net, As for Garforth I think they will get better, the Garforth v Wakefied.f.c. is one of the games I enjoy each seaon, but I missed this one :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:05 am 

Not sure Garforth were the best team by a distance Gazza!
I thought Garforth were the better footballing side, but that's not unusual when you follow Wakefield, our players seem to 'panic' when they have time and space on the ball and seem to want to get rid of it as quickly as possible!

I thought each side had the better of a half; 1st half for Garforth with their footballing and 2nd for Wakefield with their endeavour but neither side really dominated or made the opposition keeper work. Garforth keeper might have been the busier but not by much!

I couldn't understand why Marc Roberts was at centre half and Craig Laight in midfield or Chris Howarth stuck out on a wing when he is our most consistent goal scorer and for me Del doesn't seem to be hitting form this season.

I thought Danny South did rerally well when he came on and gave their centre half (captain) a run for his money. Also I thought Caldon did well and is always a threat with crosses and his long throw in.

Fairly vocal Garforth crowd with their 3 flags, pity there were no FDA and very few DOC to offer resistence!

I know the ref makes decisions that both sides don't agree with but I thought he had a good game today. He talked to the players and, as I was stood on the dug out side, he talked to the (female) liner and let her know she had the responsibility of making the decisions that she was closest to and had a better view.

Also was the van doing pies today????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:02 am 

Tallyho wrote:
Not sure Garforth were the best team by a distance Gazza!
I thought Garforth were the better footballing side, but that's not unusual when you follow Wakefield, our players seem to 'panic' when they have time and space on the ball and seem to want to get rid of it as quickly as possible!

I thought each side had the better of a half; 1st half for Garforth with their footballing and 2nd for Wakefield with their endeavour but neither side really dominated or made the opposition keeper work. Garforth keeper might have been the busier but not by much!

I couldn't understand why Marc Roberts was at centre half and Craig Laight in midfield or Chris Howarth stuck out on a wing when he is our most consistent goal scorer and for me Del doesn't seem to be hitting form this season.

I thought Danny South did rerally well when he came on and gave their centre half (captain) a run for his money. Also I thought Caldon did well and is always a threat with crosses and his long throw in.

Fairly vocal Garforth crowd with their 3 flags, pity there were no FDA and very few DOC to offer resistence!

I know the ref makes decisions that both sides don't agree with but I thought he had a good game today. He talked to the players and, as I was stood on the dug out side, he talked to the (female) liner and let her know she had the responsibility of making the decisions that she was closest to and had a better view.

Also was the van doing pies today????

Would largely agree with you here..... gifted a goal by combination of keeper and ref..... we had the better of the game overall I think but inability to create plenty of clear scoring chances has been our problem this season so far, as well as holding on to leads.... we seemed to get at least one goal a game from dead ball situations last year :roll: :shock:

No pies that I saw.... :x Had tastely, tho' rather pricey, chips at £1.50

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:58 am 

I agree with you Tallyho, Chris Howarth is wasted on either wing, he is the best goalscorer we have so should always play up front for me. If he scored 21 goals from the wing last season, how many could he score playing up front? I thought Del played really well yesterday, in fact I would say he was our best player before he was taken off. At times he looked like the only player who was interested and he did a lot of work chasing back and winning the ball and setting up attacks.

Caldon for me should have either started or come on a lot earlier, we looked more threatening as soon as he came on, but we only started to play more than one up front in stoppage time, something I think needs to change in order for us to score more goals, especially in home games. Danny South did play well but lacked support until late in the game.

Looking on the bright side, that is the worst we have played this season and we still got a point from the game.