Post subject: Re: STANDARD OF THE NORTHERN LEAGUE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:21 pm 

Great game in terms of entertainment?

or quality of football?

some of us purists like both? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:18 pm 

Bovril Boy wrote:
The Northern League standard is way better than any pub level standard of football.

I could quite easily fit into a Sunday pub team and play as well as anyone else but there is no way I could play at Northern League level. The standard is far better for me and well worth paying to see.
Im quite happy to pay £5 to see Consett or any other Northern League team play but ask me to pay to watch a Sunday pub game - not a chance!!!
What position do you play ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 pm 

The standard of the Northern League?

Good enough to provide the winners of the FA Vase

Howay the Bay!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:17 pm 

some very interesting points and all quite valid as well seems the slant is towards lower standards in recent years

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 pm 

girlyfan wrote:
great game at consett last night
well worth the admission fee

well said girly fan. theres a lot of people out there who dont realise what they are missing. great value at a fiver a game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 pm 

Some years ago when I came out of junior football I played in the Durham & District League and then it was of a decent standard, some good teams around who would be a match for many of today's NL clubs, Newfield, New Durham, Thornley, Coundon, Stanley Utd to mention a few.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 pm 

your showing your age now dave :lol: :lol:its still value for money though and the comradeship and craic is second to none.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:04 am 

kays mate wrote:
your showing your age now dave :lol: :lol:its still value for money though and the comradeship and craic is second to none.

Your not wrong!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:13 pm 

think some of yesterdays results reflect some sentiments on here but well done roofing!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:44 pm 

consett newbie wrote:
girlyfan wrote:
theres a lot of people out there who dont realise what they are missing. great value at a fiver a game.

This does frustrate me. Alot of people are staying away from Darlington matches and saying that having to pay £16 a match for League 2 football is driving them out. The RA is right on their doorstep for £3 a match, but the response I often get when I tell people about the club is "who?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:56 am 

I said a few months ago on here with the way the NE league clubs were playing last season there was a massive opportunity for NL clubs to benefit. Get the public to weigh up the price of admission into a League game and after paying your admission into a NL game, a few beers in the clubhouse and something to eat you'll easily have change out of £20. If I was RA I'd be really pushing the boat out to get the punters in especially as Darlo are struggling. If the public don't know about them they are going to have make them aware of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am 

I would say that a fiver is good value. However if you get new people through the doors you have to try and keep them that means treating people with respect, ensuring that the club is run as a family club and ensuring that it stays that way and they are not subject to bad behaviour/bad language etc because it does stand out in small crowds and it does sometimes happen, its not nice to witness managers ranting and raving or players doing it either. I feel sorry for darlo (league2) because it is the towns team after all and they are in a predicament, its not as though they are prima donnas after all, both clubs deserve to be supported

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:12 am 

Bruce wrote:
The standard of the Northern League?

Good enough to provide the winners of the FA Vase

Howay the Bay!!!!

Agreed but the Northern League used to play in the Trophy not the Vase which used to only go as high as the Wearside league, using the Vase as a benchmark suggests the standard has dropped a lot!

This is a never ending argument, but for what its worth i think North East football was a hell of a lot stronger 20 year ago and that included about 7 or 8 Under 18 Leagues which now theres only about 2 or 3, a very strong Wearside league, and a Northern league with a host of top, top clubs in it.

But we live in todays world and i do agree the value for money compared to other levels is brilliant and although not a perfect world like Shieldsman said, still a decent enough place to try and get Dads (and Mams) to bring their kids along to get them watching and hopefully playing football.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 am 

\before the northern league were in the pyrmaid the northern league clubs had a choice of going into the vase or trophy. Most choose the trophy. Once the came into the pyrmaid at leval 5 that was a leval that played in the vase. So that is why all northern league clubs now play in the vase. I do not think that it is just the northern league standards that hace dropped. The standard of all football is not as good as it was in my younger days. However i still love going to watch a northern league game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am 

and if you remember you had teams from uni 1 competing in the vase