It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: West Auckland Town - BBC NEWS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm 

West were in the BBC news at lunchtime today with the headline they may fall out of existence if they don’t get more support/volunteers, not just matchdays but for all the other tasks we all know are vital to keep a non/league club running.

Is this a new issue or one that’s been brewing for some time as i’ve not really seen anything on any social media or news before today?

Good luck to the club though and hope they can get the relevant off field support to make it work

Post subject: Re: West Auckland Town - BBC NEWS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm 

Juniorhornet wrote:
West were in the BBC news at lunchtime today with the headline they may fall out of existence if they don’t get more support/volunteers, not just matchdays but for all the other tasks we all know are vital to keep a non/league club running.

Is this a new issue or one that’s been brewing for some time as i’ve not really seen anything on any social media or news before today?

Good luck to the club though and hope they can get the relevant off field support to make it work

It'll just be a money-making heartfelt plea to the community to pump some cash into them.

Worked well for Hebburn and Shields in recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 pm 

I always thought West Auckland had a big backer?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:04 pm 

They are not as I see it asking for funds but for volunteers I hope they get it sorted they are always a club who've had good support and been competitive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm 

Pay some helpers a percentage of what you pay players.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 pm 

How would a club with their resources fail due to lack of volunteers. Most clubs could do with extra help but to suggest they may go out of existence seems a bit over the top

An article in Sat Echo suggests they can’t afford to go up if they get promoted....” we can’t afford to go up - for example we will have to pay travel costs to all sorts of places “ states chairman Stuart Alderson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:11 pm 

Here we go again, loads of money for players, but non for infrastructure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 am 
Site Admin

Actually it was about the need for volunteers, not a plea for money.

It's by no means a unique situation at this level, but I did think it a bit over the top to stress the Lipton trophy and then say that they would go out of business without more volunteers.

And they did stress that - volunteers - paying people to help brings its own administrative problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:56 am 

The article in the Echo started as a call for volunteers, then went on to say that if they got promoted they would go out of business because of the additional cost . I might be a bit thick but surely the solution here is don’t get promoted then

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 am 

AllyGB wrote:
Actually it was about the need for volunteers, not a plea for money.

It's by no means a unique situation at this level, but I did think it a bit over the top to stress the Lipton trophy and then say that they would go out of business without more volunteers.

And they did stress that - volunteers - paying people to help brings its own administrative problems.

If they are struggling that bad, pay for some non playing staff!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 am 

Wack wrote:
The article in the Echo started as a call for volunteers, then went on to say that if they got promoted they would go out of business because of the additional cost . I might be a bit thick but surely the solution here is don’t get promoted then

They wouldn’t be close to promotion if they weren’t paying large sums for a team!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 am 

england wrote:
Wack wrote:

They wouldn’t be close to promotion if they weren’t paying large sums for a team!

I think the cry for help is laughable considering some of the players pay packets at Waste!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm 

Fellside wrote:
Juniorhornet wrote:

It'll just be a money-making heartfelt plea to the community to pump some cash into them.

Worked well for Hebburn and Shields in recent years.

Thats what springs to mind . as you say it worked for Hebburn who were almost a gonner at one stage last year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:14 pm 

Junior hornet

Its been in the Northern Echo (last Saturday) and the Weardale Gazette.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... bs-future/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:36 pm 

yakka1 wrote:
Junior hornet

Its been in the Northern Echo (last Saturday) and the Weardale Gazette.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... bs-future/

Nice to see the transport argument making a return again. It’s great to hear new ideas as to why teams can’t go up, but nice to hear the classics now and again.

If I may use the case of Morpeth, they now have really a core of about 14 or 15 players as opposed to the squad of 18 or so they had last year. Surely this is then the right way to do it.