It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Players looking for a change of scenery...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm 

I've been asked by several managers at rival clubs in our leagues whether or not I know of any lads heading over or keen to head over to Brisbane to play the 2019 season.

I've put several of these posts up in the past 10 years since i moved out here and had a fair amount of success with the lads who have responded and gave it a go. Some good players/lads have now made a new life for themselves and are loving it. Others come over, have a great year seeing the country and then head back home to settle down etc. Whatever suits your own situation i guess.

The standard of football ranges from Durham Alliance League to what I remember as the old Unibond league (i believe it's now Evostik). Training is usually 2 nights a week with the top clubs training 3 nights. The top two divisions are moving towards being more professional in the way they operate with most having S&C coaches, GPS trackers, video analysis of games etc (all games are filmed, some streamed live etc).

Financially.....clubs will pay around $150-500 a game (depending on the level). I'd say a solid Northern League player will be hitting $250+ easy. Some clubs will help with accomodation and will be able to assist with finding some form of work during the days. Plenty of coaching work available as most clubs have hundreds of juniors attached to them.

Brisbane is situated on the east coast of Australia and is directly in between the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. Weather is warm all year round, although the season is a bit easier with temperatures around 15-22 degrees during games (which usually kick off 5pm, 6pm or 7pm to allow it to cool down). Summers are 28+ most days.

Season runs Feb-Aug/Sept with pre season usually starting December. Most clubs are fine with UK/European lads arriving January though as their fitness is kept high due to playing.

I think that covers off on most FAQ that i'd get after a post like this......but if i've missed anything, PM me or comment on the thread.

Post subject: Re: Players looking for a change of scenery...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 am 

Ben, if any club needs a septuagenarian statto who wears a badge-encrusted woolly hat and uses a walking stick, and would finance one, let me know :mrgreen:

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.