It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: durham city fc.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm 

mr austin carney part owner of ferens park...allegedly said we havent ruled out city coming back to ferens park.but i dont know if this was quoted before durham united were set up..

Post subject: Re: durham city fc.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:44 pm 

local lad wrote:
mr austin carney part owner of ferens park...allegedly said we havent ruled out city coming back to ferens park.but i dont know if this was quoted before durham united were set up..

Durham Utd were set up in 2012. So if he said it before then, it's unlikely to be happening now?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:57 pm 

sorry windy...should of said durham united senior team playing out of ferens park...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 am 

On a side issue I was up at New Ferens park recently watching some Russell Foster action and thought the playing surface didnt look the best, do these 3g surfaces have a lifespan on them and would it be suitable now for Northern League football ??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 am 

wayne norris wrote:
On a side issue I was up at New Ferens park recently watching some Russell Foster action and thought the playing surface didnt look the best, do these 3g surfaces have a lifespan on them and would it be suitable now for Northern League football ??
i would of thought it was time it was relayed now..about 20 years.must be passed its sell buy....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 am 

Could be wrong ? but i cant New Ferens 3g pitch on the Durham FA registered pitch site for 2019 like i say could be wrong.

i watched the game there on Saurday not the best awfull bounce and players getting caught up in it and slipping over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 am 
Site Admin

The lifespan depends on use but they also need be regularly maintained. 3G pitches can't just be laid down then left until you replace them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:29 pm 

None of these bloody 3G, 4G, 27G pitches are any good for this standard of football. Great for the kids leagues on a Saturday morning, sunday morning but for northern league!!!! It is like watching a five a side game. I understand they may be the way forward but that is when I will stop watching. Will not watch at Consett and Stockton now ( nothing against these fine clubs just hate watching cosmetic football)

Rant over!!!! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
None of these bloody 3G, 4G, 27G pitches are any good for this standard of football. Great for the kids leagues on a Saturday morning, sunday morning but for northern league!!!! It is like watching a five a side game. I understand they may be the way forward but that is when I will stop watching. Will not watch at Consett and Stockton now ( nothing against these fine clubs just hate watching cosmetic football)

Rant over!!!! 8)

Agree. I have said all along its all ok getting huge grants and raking in the cash 7 nights a week from hiring it out , but what happens when it needs replacing . They cosy over 100k, so unless someone has been banking £200 a week to replace after 10 years, they will become a massive liability.

On a slightly separate note Harrogate Town have a massive dilemma as their pitch isn't allowed in the football league. They will have to replace theirs with grass.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Personally I think the plastic pitches are better than half the cow fields we play on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm 

4G, 5G and indeed 27G (this made me smile Wack!) are all actually just third generation pitches.

They do need to be maintained regularly and carefully policed.

The installations at Gateshead College and the Bobby Robson centre are now beyond tired (tyred!?!?!?) and are simply piles of the black rubber crumb. There is active debate on the carcinogenic effects of the rubber crumb.

I played on the Consett pitch on Sunday and it is beginning to show some signs of age, but it is significantly healthier than New Ferens.

The comments on the certification are very interesting, as the mini 3G at Cleveland Hall is (I believe) no longer subject to a valid certificate, so the local junior small sided league do not use it, despite using Cleveland Hall as a venue.

I'm suprised that a team in the Wearside Development league can therefore use a pitch without a valid certificate.

I suspect that grants to re-lay surfaces will emerge soon if the rubber crumb can be found to be safe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm 

johnna wrote:
4G, 5G and indeed 27G (this made me smile Wack!) are all actually just third generation pitches.

They do need to be maintained regularly and carefully policed.

The installations at Gateshead College and the Bobby Robson centre are now beyond tired (tyred!?!?!?) and are simply piles of the black rubber crumb. There is active debate on the carcinogenic effects of the rubber crumb.

I played on the Consett pitch on Sunday and it is beginning to show some signs of age, but it is significantly healthier than New Ferens.

The comments on the certification are very interesting, as the mini 3G at Cleveland Hall is (I believe) no longer subject to a valid certificate, so the local junior small sided league do not use it, despite using Cleveland Hall as a venue.

I'm suprised that a team in the Wearside Development league can therefore use a pitch without a valid certificate.

I suspect that grants to re-lay surfaces will emerge soon if the rubber crumb can be found to be safe.

Agree with your assessment on both the pitches you have mentioned johnna . Gateshead is an absolute mess yet still charging top dollar . Should be free of charge until its relaid or half price at least. I would be shocked if its on the list of suitable venues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

Wack wrote:
Cestrian wrote:

Rant over!!!! 8)

Agree. I have said all along its all ok getting huge grants and raking in the cash 7 nights a week from hiring it out , but what happens when it needs replacing . They cosy over 100k, so unless someone has been banking £200 a week to replace after 10 years, they will become a massive liability.

On a slightly separate note Harrogate Town have a massive dilemma as their pitch isn't allowed in the football league. They will have to replace theirs with grass.

If you are having people playing on it 7 nights a week and you aren’t making £200 profit a week, I’d seriously look at your business model

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:20 pm 

They make a fortune on them man. Is it not a condition of the funding that they have to put money to one side to replace when worn ? Doubt any of them do. All about the money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:00 pm 

The cow fields make it for an interesting game. Football was meant for grass!