It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Great news and hope for others.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 am 

Great post from Billingham Towns chairman, perhaps if more clubs were as transparent as this, supporters wouldn't be so mystified/angry at the clubs decisions and policies.

Also perhaps a template which could be repeated by others.

Chairman's AGM Report:
It is a privilege for me to take the Chair of Billingham Town Football Club albeit we have witnessed one of the most difficult periods that I have seen at any football club. To say that the club has been through a turbulent time last year is an understatement.
Since February my aim and the aim of the committee was to lead the club to more settled and productive times, build a quality team on the pitch and bringing much needed stability, real leadership and direction off it.
It is important that you now know the scale of that task. In February the club was left in £8600 of debt with no bills having been paid for considerable amount of time. We had no money in the bank, our clubhouse license that had been intentionally cancelled and we had no lease for the ground.
I want to thank Neil Martin who has worked tirelessly to bring me in as chair, supported me 100% in bringing the vital changes that the club required and building the Billingham Supporters Trust which invariably handed this great club back to the fans.
Financial stability was absolutely essential and since February the committee has worked hard to flatten all debts or put in place payment plans for those debts that we could not divert elsewhere. A lot of time and effort has been put in to manage this debt down to a level the club can manage. Sponsorship was essential in raising vital funds for the club to move forward. I would like to thank all of our sponsors whether it is through direct cash investment, pitch side advertising and player and kit sponsorships for their continued support.
I would like to put on record my thanks to our main sponsors, who at our time of need, invested in the club. They are, Utility Alliance Ltd, Drive Vauxhall (Hartlepool) and Chris Musgrave from Wynyard Developments.
In just 6 months the club has gone from £8600 in debt with all the additional burdens it had, to having money in the bank, with a strong management support structure, and a progressive team on the pitch. That is down to the hard work of the committee and volunteers and the support of the fans.
We also had to make essential changes to the governance of the club. Some decisions were unpopular but nevertheless necessary. The management team of James Hunter and Harry Taylor left the club. To clarify this decision the club simply could not meet the financial demands that the management team required to take us into 2018/19.
Our current management team were appointed. It cannot be understated what Barry Oliver and Paul Edwards bring to the club. Not just experience and financial support on the field but continued financial and additional support with their contribution to improvements to facilities at Bedford Terrace.
The committee profile has changed too. While I was sad to see one or two individuals leave, changes were required. Those changes were made and I am pleased to chair the committee that we have today. It is forward thinking, industrious and supports the wider aims of the club. It is a great blend of supporters and people with management and football experience.
I would also like to put on record my thanks and gratitude to the volunteers around the club that help run match days and assist outside of our “match day” with events such as social functions, maintenance, income generation and closed season events. The club can only function and thrive if we have sufficient volunteers to help out so please get involved if you can.
I would also like to put on record my thanks to Neil Martin for his work with the local authority in negotiation a long term lease for the club. We have been granted a 20 year lease; however, this is on hold as we are negotiating an extension of up to 30 years to allow for wider funding opportunities.
The future of the club is bright.
We have the right people in the right places; our communication has improved not only within the ground but with residents, councillors, the local authority and partners. Our financial situation has stabilised and is improving and the football team and management is bringing success.
That’s the good news and I say that with a note of caution.
The club must look forward and in the medium to long term become more community focussed. We need to be in a position to maximise available funding and grants to achieve our strategic objectives.
We must become part of the community and the community part of us. We must use our facilities to improve opportunities for sport, education, leisure, health and wellbeing in the local community.
We must use sport and our facilities to help develop children and adults through regular participation in sport. We must work in partnership with others to deliver on local sporting needs and aspirations and maximise all opportunities available.
The club must continue to work hard to succeed. We are in a great place, let’s keep it there.
Paul Beddow
Chairman

Post subject: Re: Great news and hope for others.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm 

Fantastic post by the Billingham Chairman. Something we are also striving to achieve at Birtley.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Great report from Paul who has done a fantastic job at the club since taking over as Chairman. At one point in February things were looking so bleak we discussed resigning from the league and winding the club up. The turnaround has been unbelievable and a lot of people have played a part in that. The club is now being ran well, democratically, and transparent :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:53 pm 

Might knock on the head talk of merging with synners! Maybe not! Lol

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 pm 

We played Billingham Town 2 weeks ago in the Vase and i have to say it was a fantastic day all round apart from the result of course. Very well received by what looked like an army of volunteers. The atmosphere generated by the fans from the main stand was superb.

We are in a similar position to Billingham where we have made some significant changes since we were relegated 2 years ago.
A lot of the people involved during the first year in the Alliance have gone, replaced by some very enthusiastic local lads and lasses led by Chairman Richie Barrett who put the emphasis on improving at the right pace. The difference over the last 2 years is amazing.

The ground is looking superb due to everyone's hard work. The clubhouse located pitch side is ran by 2 very hard working girls with another 3/4 who regularly muck in when needed including 2 who travel in from West Cornforth.

Our relationship with the Juniors which was virtually non existent is so much better and improving week in week out. Junior Chairman Steve Minto is now on the Senior committee which means the Juniors are fully aware of everything we do.

We have mascots at every home game now to get the kids involved and they absolutely love it .
Our crowds are steadily improving, sponsorship has increased 10 fold over the last 12 months with our commercial manager Paul Hay working very hard behind the scenes to lift the profile of the club.

Last but no means least, the players are committed to what we are trying to achieve under a very good Management team.
I only hope that the good people of Birtley and beyond keep up the fabulous support shown to everyone at the club.

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:30 am 

bigcbeat wrote:
We played Billingham Town 2 weeks ago in the Vase and i have to say it was a fantastic day all round apart from the result of course. Very well received by what looked like an army of volunteers. The atmosphere generated by the fans from the main stand was superb.

We are in a similar position to Billingham where we have made some significant changes since we were relegated 2 years ago.
A lot of the people involved during the first year in the Alliance have gone, replaced by some very enthusiastic local lads and lasses led by Chairman Richie Barrett who put the emphasis on improving at the right pace. The difference over the last 2 years is amazing.

The ground is looking superb due to everyone's hard work. The clubhouse located pitch side is ran by 2 very hard working girls with another 3/4 who regularly muck in when needed including 2 who travel in from West Cornforth.

Our relationship with the Juniors which was virtually non existent is so much better and improving week in week out. Junior Chairman Steve Minto is now on the Senior committee which means the Juniors are fully aware of everything we do.

We have mascots at every home game now to get the kids involved and they absolutely love it .
Our crowds are steadily improving, sponsorship has increased 10 fold over the last 12 months with our commercial manager Paul Hay working very hard behind the scenes to lift the profile of the club.

Last but no means least, the players are committed to what we are trying to achieve under a very good Management team.
I only hope that the good people of Birtley and beyond keep up the fabulous support shown to everyone at the club.

Colin

Good to hear Colin, it takes a big push and everyone singing from the same hymn sheet to turn things around so good on you all mate.