It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Tuesday results and scorers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:25 pm 

scrambled wrote:
It’s good to see clubs having decent cup runs as long as the prize money gets invested into their club and not the chairman’s pockets.

Pretty harsh, considering many chairman will be out of pocket over a season

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 pm 

Wack wrote:
Mike M wrote:
AMB wrote:
Just to put in Contrast
Dunston up to now with coming in at Extra prem round have won up to Now 20k in prize money
should they beat chester thats over 35k which in some smaller clubs cases could cover a full seasons expenses. So in all essence win 4 games for 20k or 5 games for 35k certainly not to be sniffed at when considering you have to win about 11/12 games to win the FA vase for what 25k to the winners puts it into perspective.

Win 4 or 5 games in the FA CUP For a lot of money or win the league for very little money!

Thanks AMB, puts relevance to my original point.

Im with Mike on this, why would any fan of one Club be disappointed if a rival Club got knocked out. They more than likely would use any winnings/gate receipts on strengthening their "war chest" in order to beat said rivals team.

I might be in the minority on here but my only interest as far as winning is concerned is my own Club (although I do have a soft spot for Ashington as I was born there :D )

Fair enough, you’re entitled to whatever opinions you may have in regards to football.

Let’s put this into perspective; billions of pounds are pumped into Professional football in England annually. The money available to Clubs at this level is a pittance by comparison. If a Club at this level gains any form of finance that helps them to stay afloat, keeps football in a local community, provides the volunteers, supporters and whoever else maybe associated with a Football Club a reward for the hours of time they’ve dedicated to a Club. Why would anybody show envy towards that? That’s bizarre, not passing condolences on a Cup exit or saying unlucky, whatever, envy towards another Football Club in the same situation as the one you support is bizzare.
How many Clubs in the last decade have faced financial problems, or worse still ceased to exist, in North East Non-League Football? Too many. Whilst in the upper reaches of this fine sport, billions gets wasted and fails miserably in making it’s way down this level and lower.

Whatever Dunston achieve this season will be based on their own merits, hard work and ability, so a few grand going to ‘a rival’ as you put it, is a moot point as far as I see it. There’s a bigger picture to see, which two people on here appear to be missing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm 

I think the Northern League is quite unique. There is definately a camaraderie amongst supporters and goodwill to other clubs. As a Billingham Town fan, I should want them to slip us as we play them soon. But actually, looking at their highlights, the football is top quality.

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm 

When I played Northern League my aim, each season, was always to make the first round of the FA Cup. I don't think there is any greater achievement. I think it is far superior than winning the Vase. The last team I remember doing this was Shildon with my Marra Jacko in goal. I'm sure they had the whole of the Northern League behind them. It puts the League in a far stronger standing.
I feel the League is far weaker now and I use FA Cup progression as the main indicator for this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:37 pm 

Kosh wrote:
When I played Northern League my aim, each season, was always to make the first round of the FA Cup. I don't think there is any greater achievement. I think it is far superior than winning the Vase. The last team I remember doing this was Shildon with my Marra Jacko in goal. I'm sure they had the whole of the Northern League behind them. It puts the League in a far stronger standing.
I feel the League is far weaker now and I use FA Cup progression as the main indicator for this.

I agree. I remember watching Whitley Bay on MOTD beating Preston North End at Hillheads. It was my first introduction as a kid to Local non-league football and the notion that there are Football sides in the North East other than Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough.
Perry Briggs, when he was the Manager of Dunston, forced everybody to watch the video of it on the bus for an away game, probably one of his proudest achievements as a player.
Benfield beating York City at home, Richard Brodie bagged himself a pro deal off the back of it. Fair play to them. Like you say, reaching the first round and progressing in The FA Cup is a massive thing for any NL side, players, committee, supporters and whoever else associated with the club.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 pm 

Interpol wrote:
I think the Northern League is quite unique. There is definately a camaraderie amongst supporters and goodwill to other clubs. As a Billingham Town fan, I should want them to slip us as we play them soon. But actually, looking at their highlights, the football is top quality.

We play Consett this Saturday, I imagine it could also work in reverse. Consett will be looking to bounce back after losing to Warrington. We could have our heads on The Chester match. If we lose that one, you bet your bottom dollar that we’ll not want to be out of the two National competition within a week of each other.
Consett Saturday, Chester in The FA Cup the following Saturday and then a tricky game against yourselves in the Vase a week later. What a time to be alive.