It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Im not a fan of the new looking northernleague website
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:05 am 

MikeS wrote:
We’re sorry people are having problems accessing the new website on matchdays. We’re obviously aware of the situation and have done a number of things to try and sort the problem out – including moving the site to a more powerful server.
The old site was a text-based system and therefore did not put as much demand on the server. The new website has more processes behind it. Those new processes mean we are able to provide more information – such as goal scorers, red cards etc and attendances for each match.
It also means we can load news stories and attach photos to stories and the blog. When developing the new site we tried to keep it as clean and simple as possible and with a similar lay-out to the old site – so that it was easy for people to navigate around.
The style of any website – either new or old – will obviously appeal to some people and not to others.
We continue to look at ways to solve the access problems which occur immediately after matches finish, particularly on a Saturday afternoon when demand is at the highest.
Again, we’re sorry for the problems encountered.

Mike Snowdon
Media and PR officer
Ebac Northern League

Thanks for the update mike, appreciate your hard work and hopefully you can find a solution.

Pretty refreshing to get some official dialogue on here, that’s much appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm 

nemesis wrote:
People running the site clearly do not know much about web dev

I don’t use red site now it has gone back over and most times unusable

Thats a bit harsh. If that's the way you feel maybe join them and show them how its done eh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am 

Is there a feature on the site anywhere (or another site) for the league's top scorers/golden boot?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am 

RyanS732 wrote:
Is there a feature on the site anywhere (or another site) for the league's top scorers/golden boot?

Cheers.

Home page, click Matches, its at the bottom

Last edited by bigcbeat on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am 
Site Admin

RyanS732 wrote:

Cheers.

Not for previous seasons, but you can see the current season http://www.northernfootballleague.org/t ... ague-only/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 am 

Neil M wrote:
RyanS732 wrote:

Cheers.

Not for previous seasons, but you can see the current season http://www.northernfootballleague.org/t ... ague-only/
Last Updated: Wednesday 26th September 2018.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm 

Cheers for the directions.

Multi-scorer stats are a nice feature too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 pm 

MikeS wrote:
We’re sorry people are having problems accessing the new website on matchdays. We’re obviously aware of the situation and have done a number of things to try and sort the problem out – including moving the site to a more powerful server.
The old site was a text-based system and therefore did not put as much demand on the server. The new website has more processes behind it. Those new processes mean we are able to provide more information – such as goal scorers, red cards etc and attendances for each match.
It also means we can load news stories and attach photos to stories and the blog. When developing the new site we tried to keep it as clean and simple as possible and with a similar lay-out to the old site – so that it was easy for people to navigate around.
The style of any website – either new or old – will obviously appeal to some people and not to others.
We continue to look at ways to solve the access problems which occur immediately after matches finish, particularly on a Saturday afternoon when demand is at the highest.
Again, we’re sorry for the problems encountered.

Mike Snowdon
Media and PR officer
Ebac Northern League

Hi Mike, thanks for missive. I hope moving to a stronger server will improve things drastically on match days. But my issue is the lack of genuine stories. The NWCL has a great site & is probably the best step 5/6 site http://www.hallmarksecurityleague.com
Not far behind is the NCEL http://www.ncefl.org.uk which has a part that shows twitter for all each club.
Basically your stories are basic, few & far between. Have you ever considered speaking with your neighbouring league’s for advice & looked at their websites to consider improvements? I know it’s hard work, but I doubt you’ll even reply to this Mike!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:38 am 

We very much rely on clubs letting us know what's happening at their club and I think most people follow the club/clubs they're interested in by going to their website or signing up to their social media outlets.
It's very time consuming to try and trawl through all the teams' material, time I don't always have.
I try and encourage clubs to let me know their news.
Apart from the server issue, the website continues to be work in progress. It has features that the old site didn't have and we're always looking at ways that we can improve it.
And yes, I did contact other leagues at our level and I do look at their websites too.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 am 

MikeS wrote:
We very much rely on clubs letting us know what's happening at their club and I think most people follow the club/clubs they're interested in by going to their website or signing up to their social media outlets.
It's very time consuming to try and trawl through all the teams' material, time I don't always have.
I try and encourage clubs to let me know their news.
Apart from the server issue, the website continues to be work in progress. It has features that the old site didn't have and we're always looking at ways that we can improve it.
And yes, I did contact other leagues at our level and I do look at their websites too.
Mike

The NCEL have a continuous twitter feed on their website. Whereby all the clubs tweets are shown. The NWCL had articles about all their new clubs(17 in all) & history about their existing clubs. They also have a section on step 7 clubs that have shown interest in applying for promotion into the league. This is updated whenever the FA releases the step 7 applicants list. They even do later articles on how those clubs are doing in their ground developments & what requirements they need to pass. You have a lot less clubs applying for promotion(from the 3 feeder leagues)& all you post is x,y & z clubs have applied from x,y & z league!
One question that the league should be asking the FA & letting the clubs/fans know. How many clubs will be relegated from the NL1 this season(now you are down to 18 clubs)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am 
Site Admin

el Queso Grande wrote:
Neil M wrote:
RyanS732 wrote:

Cheers.

Last Updated: Wednesday 26th September 2018.

Thanks for pointing that out Keith, the server was caching the page which it shouldn't have been, meaning the updated page wasn't showing properly for everyone.

Should all be correct now.

Gav

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm 

Gav wrote:

Gav
James Ellis of Ryhope CW shows as having scored 10 goals even though he has scored 11 according to the club's results page.
Nathan Fisher of West Auckland shows as having scored 9 goals but the count of his goals on the club's results page only comes to 8.
There may be more I haven't compared them all with my own records.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

el Queso Grande wrote:
Gav wrote:

Gav
James Ellis of Ryhope CW shows as having scored 10 goals even though he has scored 11 according to the club's results page.
Nathan Fisher of West Auckland shows as having scored 9 goals but the count of his goals on the club's results page only comes to 8.

I'll double check them, but they are based on the information supplied at the end of games to the league by the home club.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm 

Gav wrote:
el Queso Grande wrote:
Gav wrote:

Gav

I'll double check them, but they are based on the information supplied at the end of games to the league by the home club.
Gavin, I'm not disputing the given information, just the arithmetic as indicated above.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

el Queso Grande wrote:
Gavin, I'm not disputing the given information, just the arithmetic as indicated above.

Blyth AFC's record (results) have been expunged, however I was informed that the goals would still count towards players goal tallies (the same as County Associations still count yellow and red cards).

Nathan Fisher scored 1 goal in their match against Blyth which does not show on the results page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next