It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Referees & Observers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 pm 

In 5 games where there has not been an observer present, my team has had 5 cautions.
Our 5 opponents had 3 between them.
In 3 games that have been observed, 12 yellow cards & 1+1 yellow card making a red have been administered.
Our 3 opponents had 9 between them.
Is an observer in the stand influencing a Referee?

Post subject: Re: Referees & Observers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm 

Yes they do. Thats why this type of post crops up season after season after season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:52 pm 

Why do the observers make the players be so naughty?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:29 pm 

Players are naughty most games. Depending on whos present in the stand ie mr observer sways a referees decision. Its fact some refs have even owned up to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

I was at the Shildon v Whickham game last night a observer was sat in front of me with clip board and pen , it wasn’t a dirty game but off memory at least 5 yellow cards dished out might have been 6 , all for a foul I would say .
Two things I picked up on the Whickham left backs numbers came off his shirt in first 10 mins , the linesman spotted it and the player was allowed to change when ball went out of play his side , the ref never noticed , should he have been told to leave the field of play changed his shirt and then been invited by the ref to re enter field of play or was it sensible officiating by the lines man .
Secondly why does the assessor announce his self before the game , to the official’s and put pressure on them before they blow a whistle, why not watch the first 45 mins and go in at half time or better still watch all the game and have de brief after the game ,I’m sure we would see the game flow better and players not getting frustrated with the refs because of the big brother watching from the stands .

Like I said wasn’t a dirty game in fact the language by some of the players was worse than the tackles but ref said nothing, strange really,I wonder if that was in big brothers report .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm 

I spoke to an assessor first hand last season and for a referee to get a good mark he/she mustcaution players. I asked “what if there are no bad tackles, no foul and abusive and the teams are lovely to one another?” He replied “then the ref gets a rubbish mark”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm 

I've always said officials shouldn't know when they are going to be assessed. its unbelievable how much they change there style, how does that help in giving a true reflection of a refs normal standard?

Also why do assessors feel the need to stand with a mucky great clipboard so everyone knows who they are and what they are doing.. Needs a big change around in my humble opinion..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:38 pm 

PC
The answer to your question is a big yes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 pm 

Heshootshescores wrote:
Players are naughty most games. Depending on whos present in the stand ie mr observer sways a referees decision. Its fact some refs have even owned up to it.

Always, even if a ref does not mean to be the observers play on their minds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:27 pm 

Observers at the northern league level don’t seem to give out marks for a referee dealing with things in a sensible way and using common sense, using common sense you can surely apply the laws correctly. It is easier for an observer to write a report if a yellow or red is issued to players maybe the observers are not as good as they should be and instead of taking time to look at more detail of the referees performance it’s easy just to say give a yellow or a red and you will get extra marks it will save time writing. Referees get frightened when the word observer comes about and some have the coaches and mentors sitting with them to nibble away at them during the game to enhance the marks awarded unbelievable the things I have heard when out and about and yes I do know a couple of referees at this level and I know the above to be true.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 am 

Another way of looking at this...

If the ref doesn't know an observer is coming, he will referee like an observer is there every game - do we want this? I know as a player I certainly wouldn't.

Referees are much more sensible when they KNOW an observer isn't there. It shouldn't be the case, but I'd rather have a sensible referee every other game than a pain of a referee every game.

I think the bigger issue is the way observers view how a game should be refereed and how they try to create "textbook" officials.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am 

WE had a ref when we played away at North Shields last season who was awful. At the end of the game I went to see him and gave him a roasting for his performance. Little did I realise the Assessor was stood behind me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm 

Referee’s are promoted based on two factors Assessors marks (scores from observed games)and Club marks (average marks from both teams each game over course of season).

To be promoted from level 4 to 3 or 3 to 2A then a referee needs to finish in what is known as band AA (top of assesors list and top of clubs list).

Assessors look at games from the letter of the law, clubs look at the game from a “what they see fit in a certain match situation” and the clubs interpretation can be very different to another clubs.

It’s difficult but some officials make it harder for themselves, as a ex NL referee and player my best attribute was speaking to players throughout the game and managing where had to manage but caution where I had to caution, didn’t change my style for an assessor. Most cases it was fine but in some cases clubs didn’t like how I did things mainly because something had went against them and they lost.

As for introducing themselves before the game, of you keep to your way of refereeing if they are their or not what’s the problem? And I can say if a game is assessed and has little action the mark is low but not a “fail” so to speak and for everyone of them you’ll have a one with lots of incident.

My opinion anyway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:26 pm 

Juniorhornet wrote:
Referee’s are promoted based on two factors Assessors marks (scores from observed games)and Club marks (average marks from both teams each game over course of season).

To be promoted from level 4 to 3 or 3 to 2A then a referee needs to finish in what is known as band AA (top of assesors list and top of clubs list).

Assessors look at games from the letter of the law, clubs look at the game from a “what they see fit in a certain match situation” and the clubs interpretation can be very different to another clubs.

It’s difficult but some officials make it harder for themselves, as a ex NL referee and player my best attribute was speaking to players throughout the game and managing where had to manage but caution where I had to caution, didn’t change my style for an assessor. Most cases it was fine but in some cases clubs didn’t like how I did things mainly because something had went against them and they lost.

As for introducing themselves before the game, of you keep to your way of refereeing if they are their or not what’s the problem? And I can say if a game is assessed and has little action the mark is low but not a “fail” so to speak and for everyone of them you’ll have a one with lots of incident.

My opinion anyway

and the clubs interpretation can be very different to another clubs.

You've hit the nail on the head there, I've lost count of how many times during my time in footy we've all thought the ref did well when we've won, and how terrible he was when we lost :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:48 pm 

A ref should be consistent regardless of if an assessor is there or not. He/she should be assessed on how well he/she has controlled the game regardless of the number of cards dished out/not dished out.