All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Northern league 2 v Wearside
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm 

Still Learning. wrote:
Windy1970 wrote:
Still Learning. wrote:
I personally think in a one off game against higher opposition, including friendlies, most teams will raise there game, Cestrian and Neil M make good points, and in my opinion doing it in a one off game compared to doing it week in week out in the NL2 is very different.

I think West End would be top 8 if they were in the NL2 with that squad this season but the rest Ive watched would struggle.

Do you include Hebburn Reserves as a team that would struggle? Admittedly they need both their teams to win their leagues. For the Reserves to be eligible to play at step 6!

Havent seen them pre season hence why I haven't mentioned them.
Very good outfit last season but yeah if they the same squad I think they a bit lightweight to push top half in the NL2

I asked the question to them, on where they want see their Reserves. They want them playing at the highest standard they can do & that is obviously NL2. I think they're going to be taking both the 1st's & Reserves seriously. Because a strong Reserves playing at the highest level, will be a massive help to their 1st. If the 1st are playing NPL1E football. Now they've got to have a lot of luck & a lot of decent players across the club, for both teams to win their league's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:42 pm 

Windy1970 wrote:
="Still Learning."]
Windy1970 wrote:
Still Learning. wrote:
I personally think in a one off game against higher opposition, including friendlies, most teams will raise there game, Cestrian and Neil M make good points, and in my opinion doing it in a one off game compared to doing it week in week out in the NL2 is very different.

I think West End would be top 8 if they were in the NL2 with that squad this season but the rest Ive watched would struggle.

Do you include Hebburn Reserves as a team that would struggle? Admittedly they need both their teams to win their leagues. For the Reserves to be eligible to play at step 6!

Havent seen them pre season hence why I haven't mentioned them.
Very good outfit last season but yeah if they the same squad I think they a bit lightweight to push top half in the NL2

I asked the question to them, on where they want see their Reserves. They want them playing at the highest standard they can do & that is obviously NL2. I think they're going to be taking both the 1st's & Reserves seriously. Because a strong Reserves playing at the highest level, will be a massive help to their 1st. If the 1st are playing NPL1E football. Now they've got to have a lot of luck & a lot of decent players across the club, for both teams to win their league's.[/quote]

I have watched Hebburns first team pre season and with all due respect I personally dont think they in a position to win NL1 and move on. But fantastic what is happening at the club as a whole considering the position they were in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:04 pm 

Going to be very interesting over the coming years to see how Clubs with Reserve teams stick with reserve team setups or do the go the Academy route as some other clubs of done??.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 pm 

Lovenonleague wrote:
Going to be very interesting over the coming years to see how Clubs with Reserve teams stick with reserve team setups or do the go the Academy route as some other clubs of done??.

I've yet to see a Reserve side even enter step 6, let alone cut it.

Its very expensive to run a Club at step 6, and what usually happens is Clubs want all the resources for their main team.

Darlington are much better resourced than Hebburn and they couldn't make a reserve team fit at step 7, let alone step 6.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:37 pm 

South Shields pulled their reserve side out of the Wearside League this Summer and are now concentrating fully on there Academy setup to work alongside the first team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:56 pm 

Personally I think reserve sides are a dying entity .