It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Northern league 2 v Wearside
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm 

There is a lot of people I have spoken too that think the Wearside league is as strong as the NL2, and although friendly results dont really matter there have been a few scalped already pre season.

I watched Easington v West end and very impressed with West even though from what I can gather Easington had a few missing.

Thoughts folks?

Post subject: Re: Northern league 2 v Wearside
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 pm 

Top few in the Wearside (likes of West End) would definitely be top 8 in NL2 for me.

Bottom half of the Wearside League is very poor in comparison to NL2 I think.

Easington were missing quite a few yesterday but West End were definitely better in the second half. They'd certainly at least hold their own in NL2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm 

I wonder if the teams promoted to the NL2 have significantly built on there squads for the current season, do you or anyone else know Connor? Redcar have had a couple of decent pre-season results I see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:36 am 

Having played in both, I think the top 5-6 in the Wearside would "cope" in the NL2. One or two might manage top half. Outside of that, the gulf is quite vast. The difference in game speed, fitness levels, tactical awareness, intelligence of the players make a very big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 pm 

Historically promoted sides have usually done well in their first season at NL2. Same goes for clubs joining from the Northern Alliance.

The difference in quality isn't that much, its fitness and squad size that matters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 pm 

The Falcon wrote:
Historically promoted sides have usually done well in their first season at NL2. Same goes for clubs joining from the Northern Alliance.

The difference in quality isn't that much, its fitness and squad size that matters

Thats a good point actually. The NL2 is much tougher over the course of the season in my opinion game wise in terms of physicality and regeneration.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:23 am 

ive only seen one friendly this season involving durham city...it was like watching graham lilleys div 3 sunday league.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm 

Went along to Nissan last night to watch Sunderland West against Ryhope CW. First 15 minutes was all West End who went 2 up. After that Ryhope came more into the game and dominated the second half and were unlucky not to win. West End will do well this season and Ryhope CW should do likewise if they maintain the form they've had in pre season and play like they did in second half last night

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:04 pm 

Just seen on Hartons twitter Chester le St 1 Harton and Westoe 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

TheJigsaw wrote:
Having played in both, I think the top 5-6 in the Wearside would "cope" in the NL2. One or two might manage top half. Outside of that, the gulf is quite vast. The difference in game speed, fitness levels, tactical awareness, intelligence of the players make a very big difference.

This is spot on, and it's the same between all divisions between all steps. Hence why teams at the top get promoted and teams at the bottom get demoted. Anyone who thinks the Wearside and NLD2 are the same standard is deluded.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm 

Even though i missed our defeat to Harton last week from what i was told they have significantly improved from last year. Lot of young lads in the squad by all accounts who the manager has high hopes for. I think it always takes a couple of months for teams to sort themselves out and new signings start to gel At Birtley we have quite a few new players who we hope can cut the mustard. Some with NL experience some without.
Out of last seasons squad there are 12 remaining players 11 new . The majority of the squad have tasted NL football so know what its about .
Cant wait to get started tbh , the lads are really up for the challenge so lets see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:24 am 

Quote:
Just seen on Hartons twitter Chester le St 1 Harton and Westoe 2

Harton looked a tidy side with some good youngsters and some old heads but this was a typical friendly with changes galore. CLS used over 20 players on the night to look at some younger players. However I think Harton may surprise one or two this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 am 

I personally think in a one off game against higher opposition, including friendlies, most teams will raise there game, Cestrian and Neil M make good points, and in my opinion doing it in a one off game compared to doing it week in week out in the NL2 is very different.

I think West End would be top 8 if they were in the NL2 with that squad this season but the rest Ive watched would struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am 

Still Learning. wrote:
I personally think in a one off game against higher opposition, including friendlies, most teams will raise there game, Cestrian and Neil M make good points, and in my opinion doing it in a one off game compared to doing it week in week out in the NL2 is very different.

I think West End would be top 8 if they were in the NL2 with that squad this season but the rest Ive watched would struggle.

Do you include Hebburn Reserves as a team that would struggle? Admittedly they need both their teams to win their leagues. For the Reserves to be eligible to play at step 6!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm 

Windy1970 wrote:
Still Learning. wrote:

Do you include Hebburn Reserves as a team that would struggle? Admittedly they need both their teams to win their leagues. For the Reserves to be eligible to play at step 6!

Havent seen them pre season hence why I haven't mentioned them.
Very good outfit last season but yeah if they the same squad I think they a bit lightweight to push top half in the NL2