It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Jobs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am 

Is it true that some managers offer players jobs outside of football to secure there signatures for them to play for them on a Saturday??

Post subject: Re: Jobs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 am 

I have heard that being rumoured for a few years but never heard or saw any proof.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:04 am 
Site Admin

It has been going on for many years, clubs arranging jobs through sponsors’ companies. I’m not sure about managers’ interests employing players though

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 am 

Mckays carpet factory in durham...if you could play football you got a job...i personally knew two, freddie warton who was captain of portsmouth and harry bell captain at ferryhill when they last won the league.billy nesbitt also at ferryhill when the won league.tucker ovington was at wolves. they not only got a job..they got the best jobs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:39 am 

Quite a few the 1980s Spennymoor Utd team and wives worked at Smart & Browns.
The captain of Spennymoor was a manager there.
Personally i cant see anything wrong with it . its not just football where it goes on

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 pm 

Been going on since the 1920’s, Way back in the day if you could play football then you’d find yourself working at one of the local shipyards or one of the local pits.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:23 pm 

I believe he means currently and not in the much bluey eyed past. Things were better then 3 day weeks, beer 8p a pint etc. etc. These days the Managers are more likely to be working for one of the player's firms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:13 am 

the good old days.....jackie milburn £20 a week,stanley mathews £20 a week,Seamus O,connell(bishops) £20 a game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:56 am 

Could be wrong here but isn't Ben Sayer of Morpeth employed by one of the owners companies?, Personally I see nothing wrong with this, It’s a Win Win for both parties.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 am 

Lovenonleague wrote:
Could be wrong here but isn't Ben Sayer of Morpeth employed by one of the owners companies?, Personally I see nothing wrong with this, It’s a Win Win for both parties.

What about if a player is already signed for one team but is offered a job to go and sign for another team this were I think it’s wrong, if the player is out of work then fair play but if there using the job as a bargaining tool that we’re its wrong

What ever happened to players just getting signing on fee’s??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 am 

North Shields used to have a load of teesside lads playing for the them and they also got work at Kvaerner, this was late 90s I think

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:47 am 

It’s gone on for years and might not be as common as it was but it’s still going on.
When Banks Group sponsored Bishop’s back in the 80s a job with the them pushed a couple of deals over the line.
It happens quite a bit up where I am now in Scotland. I know one left full time football to go part time and work for the manager’s company who signed him. He then fell out with him during a game and subsequently lost his job as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am 

When Blyth Spartans left the Northern League in 1994 they were faced with more traveling in the NPL.
The chairman at the time was Jim Telford who was one of the MD’s at Wilkinson Sword so unsurprisingly the Cramlington factory saw a sudden influx of new employees.

Worked a treat players were able to swap shifts and travel to games, however a down side to planning shift patterns in advance to make players available came when we reached the FA Cup First Round and 2 players weren’t able to swap shifts.
Mark Telford & Tommy Ditchbutm worked their night shift and then drove straight down to Bury for the game.
After a superb 2-0 win in which Ditchbutm scored they then had to get back in the car and drive straight back to Cramlington to start their night shift as the rest of the players celebrated into the night.

It still happens now Joe Tait who’s just left Spennymoor was employed by their chairman, which made him turning down a deal for this season a surprise as he’d put himself out of a job. He’s now on trial at York looking to go full time.

What spirit is man can be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 am 

Big lad wrote:
Lovenonleague wrote:

What about if a player is already signed for one team but is offered a job to go and sign for another team this were I think it’s wrong, if the player is out of work then fair play but if there using the job as a bargaining tool that we’re its wrong

What ever happened to players just getting signing on fee’s??

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 am 

Lovenonleague wrote:

You are wrong yes. Ben Sayer is a full time teacher at a school in Killingworth.