It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Final blog of the season.
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:02 am 

The final general blog of the season and time England put an old quirk to bed.

THEY THINK ITS ALL OVER FOR ENGLAND!!

The problem with us English, even footballers who are perceived to be not the brightest of folk, is that we think too much. The English are thinkers - the Germans are doer’s! So when it comes to a penalty shoot out, we are intrinsic failures because we overthink matters. Stuart Pearce, David Batty, Steven Gerrard, Paul Ince, and Gareth Southgate - all complex characters. Even David Beckham & Chris Waddle are thinkers, admittedly not necessarily from an academic angle. For Germany read Muller, Brehme, Matthaus - all earned their ‘drei strieffen’ or are perfect representations of Nike’s motto.....’they just do it!’ Ok, there are other reasons for our abject failures but I’ll be damned if it’s down to a lack of talent; England has had significant potential since Bobby Robson took us to the semi finals of Italia 90. Subsequent failures have been down to the woeful choice in managers, tactics and tournament preparation as well as our notorious spot kick flaws. Only two England managers since Robson could be described as successful appointments. Terry Venables played to a system that suited the strengths of his players allowing Paul Gascogne the freedom to attack from midfield. Sven Goran Eriksson had the most talented squad of players since 1966 and was probably unlucky to face Brazil during the quarter finals in South Korea/Japan. But there is an interminable list of woeful appointments - Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan, Fabio Capello, Steve McLaren, Roy Hodgson are but a few, plus including interim managers such as Peter Taylor and Stuart Pearce. Fabio Capello turned up just for the cash while McLaren’s appointment was bizarrely based on his time at Middlesbrough. Keegan was infamously known for his defensive frailties and poor Taylor ended up being branded as a vegetable while Hodgson’s main successes came in Scandanavia and at Inter Milan during the 80’s and 90’s. Personally, I think Southgate falls into the same category as Taylor, Hodgson etc as a typical safe FA appointment; The stuffy white shirted English type. The one thing in Southgate’s favour which could be hugely significant, is the fact that this current youthful squad, appear to play without fear or pressure. They don’t play as if shackled or burdened by the media or by supporters back home on their couches, waiting to write them off on social media. Wayne Rooney, who was known for tournament melt downs cracked in South Africa when he spoke into the camera ‘nice when your own supporters boo you’ How does a country that produces the talent such as Matt Le Tissier, John Barnes, Robbie Fowler, Ian Wright, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes, David Beckham etc and not get the best out of them? Of course, the challenge has always been the ability to play a formation that gets the best out of the squad - a problem that can be highlighted by the persistence of pairing Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard in central midfield. The current side may not have a spine that jumps off the paper but it does have youth, pace, desire and a mental attitude not seen in my lifetime. And it’s the mental side that has so often let down this nation, not talent. If it did come down to spot kicks, I wouldn't be surprised if this group of players succeeded where others have failed. They won’t think, they won’t dwell and they won’t have the burden of expectation on their shoulders. And maybe Southgate does take some credit for that, using his experience as a player and as an u21s coach to good use. It’s about time the first team joined the u21’s u19’s U17’s in bringing a trophy home. The old saying that we aren’t good enough no longer washes. It’s the brain of the three lions that is key - the manager, the player and the supporter. All three need to work in cohesion and make sure they have plenty of serotonin levels that will last out for the four weeks! If they succeed, the nations lions will be high on happy endorphins for years to come!!

Sent from my iPad

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

Post subject: Re: Final blog of the season.
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm 

I disagree about Southgate.
Always thought he was nobody’s fool and his own man.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:32 pm 

I would say he has become that man through experience rather than having it naturally. When he was Manager at Middlesbrough he appeared to be out of his depth, admittedly with a reduced budget compared to McLaren. He certainly has more potential than say a Stuart Pearce for instance but last week he raised the issue of penalty kicks when he didn’t need to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:32 pm 

Sometimes. Just Sometimes, you just know when you write something.... You truly believe.... The monkey is off the back!!

Last edited by Interpol on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:41 am 

Do you not think that Southgate’s tenure as manager of the U21’s has helped? Plus the fact that England are now taking the junior competitions seriously?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:59 pm 

Personally irrespective of how far England go this time i would like to see the FA give Southgate a contract to cover the upcoming Euros and next world cup. Its as obvious as the day is long the players love the bloke. And to be fair to him he is the first manager to have the bottle to go with youth and leave the older players at home. i applaud him for that