It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Blyth AFC
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm 

It looks like, at least from the ENL management committee minutes that Blyth will continue their groundshare next season at Ashington. This seems totally out of order to me as they have obviously put a groundshare in place just before the end of the season to gain promotion. I would think those at Northallerton are extremely non plussed about this. I would now advise any club wanting to progress from the Wearside , northern alliance or the North Riding league that if your ground is not up to standard put a groundshare in place for the last couple of games of the season and you will be alright. Absolutely wrong IMHO

Post subject: Re: Blyth AFC
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm 

As a Northallerton fan I find the whole situation "bizarre" .It seems Blyth have morphed out of Blyth Town , and done very well in the league (fair play) but with no infrastructure whatsoever.

Lets not forget the reason they left their home ground was apparently the pitch would not take the amount of games planned at the end of the season. If this is the case then surely 1; they didn't have first call on the pitch, which is clearly against the rules and 2; if this was the case then why are they not playing back in Blyth.

I know Northallerton spent a huge amount of money obtaining a properly crafted lease last year in order to comply.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm 

Wack wrote:
As a Northallerton fan I find the whole situation "bizarre" .It seems Blyth have morphed out of Blyth Town , and done very well in the league (fair play) but with no infrastructure whatsoever.

Lets not forget the reason they left their home ground was apparently the pitch would not take the amount of games planned at the end of the season. If this is the case then surely 1; they didn't have first call on the pitch, which is clearly against the rules and 2; if this was the case then why are they not playing back in Blyth.

I know Northallerton spent a huge amount of money obtaining a properly crafted lease last year in order to comply.

This ^^

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 pm 

Wack wrote:

Yeah cigarettes are extraordinarily expensive these days. Spare a thought for Newcastle University who had to buy 3 packs.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm 

the little fella wrote:
Wack wrote:

Yeah cigarettes are extraordinarily expensive these days. Spare a thought for Newcastle University who had to buy 3 packs.

I’ve heard that the whole Blyth thing has gone legal & it may effect there status at the AGM. A lot of money has gone missing.......

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm 

Soulless club with no ground or fanbase.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

Can't see why they were allowed to even start the season,Blyth Town still operate a senior side in the nal.Blyth AFC are a new club,shouldn't have been given the go ahead.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:15 pm 

tenpole tudor wrote:
Can't see why they were allowed to even start the season,Blyth Town still operate a senior side in the nal.Blyth AFC are a new club,shouldn't have been given the go ahead.

How a new club, Blyth AFC were able to take Blyth Town FC’s place beggars belief and needed explaining by the NL.
They rented a ground off Blyth Town FC who rented the land off NCC, another sorry state of affairs.

The whole Blyth Town FC to Blyth AFC is an absolute mess at best.
A club built by a community, a ground funded by grants for community & kids teams who chased a dream And paid the price, shame.

What spirit is man can be.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 am 

THe ground staff do a very good job at Ashington, but the drainage can sometimes be a problem through the winter. I'd be concerned as an Ashington fan about how the pitch holds up.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am 

Moo wrote:
THe ground staff do a very good job at Ashington, but the drainage can sometimes be a problem through the winter. I'd be concerned as an Ashington fan about how the pitch holds up.
What a load of manure!

The drainage is one of the best in the league. We've often been able to get games on when others in the vacinity have had to call theirs off.

I do wonder about how much damage will be done by having another team playing their games on it however. And the whole Blyth AFC set up looks odd to say the least.

'Say, hey Johnny boy, the battle call
United we stand, divided we fall
Together we are what we can't be alone
We came to this country, you made it our home.'

Dropkick Murphys - 'Boys on the Dock'

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am 

No-one is going to drive to Ashington to watch them, at South Newsham you had a reasonable catchment area who could walk up to the ground. Now Town's first team is in the Alliance and next season will be a division below the Spartans reserve side who currently don't have a regular home ground of their own.

What a mess!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
It looks like, at least from the ENL management committee minutes that Blyth will continue their groundshare next season at Ashington. This seems totally out of order to me as they have obviously put a groundshare in place just before the end of the season to gain promotion. I would think those at Northallerton are extremely non plussed about this. I would now advise any club wanting to progress from the Wearside , northern alliance or the North Riding league that if your ground is not up to standard put a groundshare in place for the last couple of games of the season and you will be alright. Absolutely wrong IMHO

Great post. Crazy if this continues there will be no limit to clubs using a ground-share option to gain promotion. Could have a dramatic affect on clubs that have worked hard to get the required grading..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm 

Has anyone heard the rumour about a Blyth AFC & Bedlington Terrier merger?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm 

matt wrote:
No-one is going to drive to Ashington to watch them, at South Newsham you had a reasonable catchment area who could walk up to the ground. Now Town's first team is in the Alliance and next season will be a division below the Spartans reserve side who currently don't have a regular home ground of their own.

What a mess!

The irony in this being that even with a good cachement area in Newsham, their average attendance has gone up since moving to Ashington, however arguably this didn’t take much in the first place...

Absolutely bizarre.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 pm 

Seems like people want to knock them down. Well I wish them well. I