It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Match Day Programmes
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 pm 

The end....?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/43959769

Personally think it would be an immense shame. It's a labour of love, but I thoroughly enjoy compiling the programme for Brandon.

Will the Northern League follow?

Post subject: Re: Match Day Programmes
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

It's part of The FA Standardised Rules, so not sure how the EFL can just vote it out (unless I'm missing something?)

Hopefully the FA do abolish this rule and give clubs the option though. It's a lot of work for clubs/volunteers to have to do, especially for little return.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:30 pm 

Super Hiro wrote:
The end....?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/43959769

Personally think it would be an immense shame. It's a labour of love, but I thoroughly enjoy compiling the programme for Brandon.

Will the Northern League follow?

And you do a fantastic job with it too,especially as there is no sponsorship to promote it.others too are great.i say give clubs the option.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 pm 

Personally think it’s a dying trend, be interested to know how many clubs sell or what they generate?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 am 

Should be optional.. Personally I think water of money.. All info is on internet and up to date. Surprised anyone bothers

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 am 

Location: Westerhope...formerly Bedlington - Home to the most successful team in Wansbeck
Used to be the bane of my life doing the programmes - heartfelt sympathies for those doing it at the moment with this fun fixture backlog!

Dave Anderson
http://www.bedlingtonterriersfc.com

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 am 

It should be mandatory to display a team sheet (which I think it is at step 5). Its the team line up is usually what most people want at a match, however a match day programme should be a choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am 

Wack wrote:
It should be mandatory to display a team sheet (which I think it is at step 5). Its the team line up is usually what most people want at a match, however a match day programme should be a choice.

Have to totally agree on this one, Eventually even team sheets won't be neccassary as the vast majority of people will just check via the mobiles for team selections, But that's a couple of years away yet, I used to read programmes in the past, These days i'm more than happy to sit with a pint and read all the info I require via my mobile.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am 

Lovenonleague wrote:
Wack wrote:

Have to totally agree on this one, Eventually even team sheets won't be neccassary as the vast majority of people will just check via the mobiles for team selections, But that's a couple of years away yet, I used to read programmes in the past, These days i'm more than happy to sit with a pint and read all the info I require via my mobile.

no so t everybody has a fancy mobile mine just makes phonecalls so while I don't think you should be forced to produce a programme but a displayed team sheet is a must.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 am 

2009vasewinner wrote:
Lovenonleague wrote:
Wack wrote:

no so t everybody has a fancy mobile mine just makes phonecalls so while I don't think you should be forced to produce a programme but a displayed team sheet is a must.

Hence why i said a couple of years away :D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am 

I often buy a programme just to support the Club, a bit like a raffle ticket. I do read them, but wouldn't be bothered if they were not available.

Most Clubs seem to draw up the teams which is great or hand out team sheets which is brilliant . Providing upto date team data seems to be taken seriously by most Clubs.

Northallerton produce a printed team sheet around 2-15 and also announce the team over the (new much clearer) tannoy system

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:34 am 

I'm a collector (much to the annoyance of my wife...) and have upwards of 10,000.

Periodically I'll get a bunch of them out and have a good read of them. I think it's fascinating looking back at programmes from the 50's to 70's (earlier) to see what the trends were, not only in football but from a wider social aspect as well.

I use them as a source material for the programmes I do if & when I do a historical piece.

I buy them from any sporting event I go to be it Football, Rugby League or Cricket and, personally, get extremely aggravated if I turn up at a game and there's no programme. (It has been known for me to turn up at a ground to not find a programme on sale then to make a quick detour to a nearby ground in the hope of getting one.)

The programmes that are 'personal' to me, the ones that matter the most, I enjoy looking back on the most. They evoke memories from the day, from the occasion, from the day out, from the result. I have the programmes/team sheets from when my school team went from the 1st round to the Schools County Cup Final in 1981.... Looking at those programmes and seeing the names on them brings back brilliant memories. How can you do that on a mobile phone if all you're doing is looking up team sheets or league tables?

At Brandon it's very hitty/missy with the amount we sell. Last week against Chester produced 15 programmes and sold 7 from a crowd of 65. Couple of days later sold out against Darlington RA with a crowd of only 45.... You just cant gauge it. But as I said in my previous post, I enjoy doing the programme and would still do one if it becomes a choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 am 

Super Hiro wrote:
I'm a collector (much to the annoyance of my wife...) and have upwards of 10,000.

Periodically I'll get a bunch of them out and have a good read of them. I think it's fascinating looking back at programmes from the 50's to 70's (earlier) to see what the trends were, not only in football but from a wider social aspect as well.

I use them as a source material for the programmes I do if & when I do a historical piece.

I buy them from any sporting event I go to be it Football, Rugby League or Cricket and, personally, get extremely aggravated if I turn up at a game and there's no programme. (It has been known for me to turn up at a ground to not find a programme on sale then to make a quick detour to a nearby ground in the hope of getting one.)

The programmes that are 'personal' to me, the ones that matter the most, I enjoy looking back on the most. They evoke memories from the day, from the occasion, from the day out, from the result. I have the programmes/team sheets from when my school team went from the 1st round to the Schools County Cup Final in 1981.... Looking at those programmes and seeing the names on them brings back brilliant memories. How can you do that on a mobile phone if all you're doing is looking up team sheets or league tables?

At Brandon it's very hitty/missy with the amount we sell. Last week against Chester produced 15 programmes and sold 7 from a crowd of 65. Couple of days later sold out against Darlington RA with a crowd of only 45.... You just cant gauge it. But as I said in my previous post, I enjoy doing the programme and would still do one if it becomes a choice.

Great post, Very much like comparing Vinyl records to CD's, We all know which one wins hands down everytime, Just like match day programmes,A match day programme is far more attractive and in most cases a far better read, Especially as you rightly say looking back on the old 60's 70's programmes, But programmes are just no longer economical to produce, As I hate this expression the old school like myself move on, The younger generation (Our future) just don't see the appeal to purchase a programme or even the appetite to read one.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Going slightly off the topic of Northern League I know, but staying with programmes:-

A couple of years ago I went to a Greek non-League game. The club produced a great glossy programme every season, and sold it for something stupid like 8 Euros. This is commercially printed at the beginning of the season, and is the costs are subsidised by advertising. However for each home game they produced a four page addendum with team sheet, team news and club news for a few cents ( 25 cents I think ) . Now I didn’t buy either ( my Greek is not exactly good ) , but talking to a local it seems as though a few teams in their league do a similar thing.

I though at the time what a good idea, as it keeps both sides of the argument happy. And after each game they put a pdf of the addendum on their website so if you miss a game you can print one off.

I don’t know if they have regulations to enforce a programme and if this system gets round it, but the idea seems to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 am 

Lovenonleague wrote:
Wack wrote:

No it's not.

At Ashington we use the excellent Goalshouter app, which gives you the line ups and in match info (goals, subs, cards etc) as it happens. It's great when you can't be at a game to keep abreast of things. Any other club not using it currently should have a look at it.

'Say, hey Johnny boy, the battle call
United we stand, divided we fall
Together we are what we can't be alone
We came to this country, you made it our home.'

Dropkick Murphys - 'Boys on the Dock'