It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Durham City fc...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am 

Bernard had visions to get the youth setup all up and runnings, bairns teams etc. Will be difficult to get that up and running without a home ground in the city, bairns will just hang about on street corners/play on their xbox in the house etc instead of going for a kick about in a safe environment. You see the impact football in the community has on places like Hartlepool United, and it would be canny to see something similar in Durham City. I wish them well but I can see this been a very long struggle for them

Post subject: Re: Durham City fc...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 am 

local lad wrote:
Bernard had visions to get the youth setup all up and runnings, bairns teams etc. Will be difficult to get that up and running without a home ground in the city, bairns will just hang about on street corners/play on their xbox in the house etc instead of going for a kick about in a safe environment. You see the impact football in the community has on places like Hartlepool United, and it would be canny to see something similar in Durham City. I wish them well but I can see this been a very long struggle for them

I thought Durham City had kids teams already?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 am 

andy_pool wrote:
local lad wrote:

I thought Durham City had kids teams already?

They do have kids teams mate,from under 7s upwards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 pm 

Mr Bernard was lucky/ smart/ skilled enough to engage Sacriston Juniors and to have them become the junior section of Durham City FC. The junior section has the Reynolds brothers actively involved, which can only be a good thing. I count Steve Reynolds as a friend and he is quietly going about his business. It will pay dividends.

It will pay off in the same way that Chester Town FC have gained benefits from engaging with Riverside FC and adopting them as Chester Town Juniors. The excellent work of Dave Winter and Ann Metters has seen former juniors promoted to the first team. Dan Maguire in particular is a good example of this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:02 am 

the youngsters dont get a penny from the parent club(durham fc) they havent got nowt.mr bernard wants all the good young sides playing under the durham city fc banner for some reason..would be understandable if the parent club helped with expenses etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am 

local lad wrote:
the youngsters dont get a penny from the parent club(durham fc) they havent got nowt.mr bernard wants all the good young sides playing under the durham city fc banner for some reason..would be understandable if the parent club helped with expenses etc.

Not having a pop at you m8 as this is the second time Ive posted on your thread but at quite a few clubs, its actually the other way around, the main adult club take money from the youth teams, so I suppose, although in an ideal world I totally agree with you paying "nowt" and getting "nowt" isn't bad..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:15 pm 

Still Learning. wrote:
local lad wrote:

Not having a pop at you m8 as this is the second time Ive posted on your thread but at quite a few clubs, its actually the other way around, the main adult club take money from the youth teams, so I suppose, although in an ideal world I totally agree with you paying "nowt" and getting "nowt" isn't bad..

Totally agree, the whole point is that the structure should ultimately support the team at the top.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 pm 

england wrote:
Still Learning. wrote:
local lad wrote:

Totally agree, the whole point is that the structure should ultimately support the team at the top.

Personally, I disagree with this being about funding a first team, but then I appreciate I'll be in the minority on this board as a result. Taking subscriptions from kids football to fund adult players is not justifiable IMHO.

My junior club were approached by a senior side, but we chose instead to grow our own at no cost to the juniors (like Still Learning's point). Placing finance to one side, a supply line of top youngsters is invaluable (this can hugely support the team at the top), so if the adult section has talented coaches, they should be shared with the junior section.

It is understandable that football an NL level should be about results, but junior football needs a keen eye on player development and I'd contend that football beneath the NL should have one eye on player development and one eye on team development- if only there was a third eye for club development!! Hahaha! That is where my senior side sits, as a stepping stone for u17s, u18s and u19s. Why not? We're enjoying it and feeding the greater good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm 

I have two sons that play junior football and i wouldnt be happy at all if my hard earned cash which goes to paying their subs each month was going to the senior side and funding players wages.

Senior club should be self sustaining where possible and not take a penny out of said junior club funds as expenses and the likes dont come cheap to junior set ups.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 pm 

I agree with both your points, but I wasn’t talking about finances singularly.
My whole point is that all roads lead to the team at the top, whether this is through fund raising, player development etc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:01 pm 

I wonder how many parents actually realise that some clubs take part of their junior teams subs/fund raising..

It could of course be to contribute to the cost of the facilities they use or such.
Personally I think as long as it works for everyone and all parties are in agreement its horses for courses as long as these young players are given a chance if good enough to turn out and become a part of their main team, that's what is important and I think you'll find a lot whom have grown through a clubs youth system will stay loyal to their club and not ask for unrealistic wages.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 pm 

england wrote:
I agree with both your points, but I wasn’t talking about finances singularly.
My whole point is that all roads lead to the team at the top, whether this is through fund raising, player development etc

Yeah, I totally appreciate that England there has got to be a purpose behind it all. I'd always prioritise player development, others won't.

I've said before that the junior section at South Shields is well invested in and will pay dividends in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 pm 

Still Learning. wrote:
I wonder how many parents actually realise that some clubs take part of their junior teams subs/fund raising..

It could of course be to contribute to the cost of the facilities they use or such.
Personally I think as long as it works for everyone and all parties are in agreement its horses for courses as long as these young players are given a chance if good enough to turn out and become a part of their main team, that's what is important and I think you'll find a lot whom have grown through a clubs youth system will stay loyal to their club and not ask for unrealistic wages.

All great points- certainly in my travels abroad I note that players in Holland for instance stay loyal to their local village club (dropping levels rather than seeking a transfer) paying direct subscriptions as they had as children unless they are taken by a club operating several levels higher. But as a nation of farmers you'd expect them to grow their own!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 pm 

I'm surprised if the Youth sections don't have their own funding and accounts as our Youth section do administerd by the the Youth Committee and not accesible by the First Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:01 pm 

Joe90TheCestrian wrote:
I'm surprised if the Youth sections don't have their own funding and accounts as our Youth section do administerd by the the Youth Committee and not accesible by the First Team

Absolutely Joe, and the real rewards for the first team are the players coming through.