It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Is the future bleak.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:07 pm 

It seems every other day on the forum, local papers, and websites, there is another team having off field problems.
I said some years ago, many of our local leagues were in decline and the amount of teams, and indeed leagues that have ceased to exist, speaks for itself.

Northern league, thankfully is much stronger and better supported of course than most, but, at the same time is "almost" unique in its wage structuring. Will we see the trend continue further up the ladder, to our level.

Personally I think its time for as many football loving folk and mainly, the guys at the top who run our game to realise the seriousness of what is happening and actually "do something about it"

There are many issues in my opinion, some which can be addressed, some which cant. I've been involved in football at most levels from the pro game to Raggy ars ed rovers playing in the aldi carrier bag league and have met some fantastic people who have had some very good ideas on how to keep their clubs afloat, so I thought I would pass them over and even if it helps just one club out it will be beneficial.

#Players/managers/coaches paying their own fines.
Believe me this helps saving a substantial amount of money, keeps fines down to a minimum, gone mostly are the petty yellows and reds for arguing with officials and opposition players, kicking the ball away other pointless things fines are dished out for this also, again just my opinion also gives a squad more discipline right through the game.

#Saying that I have always said the amount of money Durham Fa cream from clubs, citing it is "for the good of the game" is deplorable.
There are many better, less financially gratifying to Durham and its hierarchy ways, to cut out ill discipline on the field. Pressure on the association, letters, emails, from ALL clubs and leagues would be the first place I would start.

#Councils, private landlords etc. taking their chunk out of the coffers doesn't help, again letters, emails, meetings with the people in charge can be helpful and beneficial, get these people involved in your club, make them feel part of it. One club I was involved with actually made their landlord president of the club, others I have been involved with invite them to presentations, club functions etc. wine and dine them and their families. Its amazing the difference it seems to make.

#Club lotteries for different aspects of the club, from match day ball sponsorship, player sponsorship, programme sponsor, renaming stands, dug outs, up to the ground if needs be and possible. I have found the the days of businesses throwing money at clubs for no return are gone, whereas they dont mind throwing £20, £50 or for the main benefits a couple of hundred quid in for a chance of having a stand, ground named after their business.

# Involve families, wives, youth teams in your club as much as possible, ball boys/girls, family days, a lot of clubs at academies now actually have a crèche with child entertainers/minders employed on training, and match days.

Sorry if this has gone on a bit, but I think as many as possible on here should come up with as many ideas as possible, share positive experiences and activities that have benefit clubs they have been involved WITH.

Post subject: Re: Is the future bleak.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm 

A good and relevant post.

Facilities and playing surfaces need drastic improvement. All division 1 pay wages and 70% of division 2 do also, so the argument of not being able to afford it doesn't wash.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm 

FemaleFan wrote:
A good and relevant post.

Facilities and playing surfaces need drastic improvement. All division 1 pay wages and 70% of division 2 do also, so the argument of not being able to afford it doesn't wash.

Very true, but realistically is that not a huge part of why, the league has some of the best amateur teams in the country, there is simply a stigma attached to the league which I cant ever see going away, play northern league get a wage. I have spoken to just half decent players in the past just out of school trousers who, the first thing they ask is how much?

Some see it as a medal to show off and shout about to mates in the boozer, "I get paid for playing me" I'm sure we have all heard it many, many times.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 pm 

Interesting post and some good points "still learning"

On a slightly different angle, supports should act as "compliance" for the Clubs they love. This should also offer protection and a brighter future. I have heard of Clubs who are ran as private members Clubs with no AGM, no committees, no accounts published, I have also heard of Clubs that are ran as Ltd Companies who ride rough shod over accounts, returns etc

Anyone who cares about their Club should ask difficult questions regarding its constitution/ articles of association etc . This could avoid pitfalls in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 pm 

Wack wrote:
Interesting post and some good points "still learning"

On a slightly different angle, supports should act as "compliance" for the Clubs they love. This should also offer protection and a brighter future. I have heard of Clubs who are ran as private members Clubs with no AGM, no committees, no accounts published, I have also heard of Clubs that are ran as Ltd Companies who ride rough shod over accounts, returns etc

Anyone who cares about their Club should ask difficult questions regarding its constitution/ articles of association etc . This could avoid pitfalls in the future.

Again I totally agree, my worry is, and you getting around most of the grounds Wack will see there just doesn't seem the interest from the younger generation to support and get involved with their local club, many faces I see at games are the ones I have seen for many years their just more weathered, with greyer hair, its a worry for the future, which is why I think getting youth teams, and their parents involved, if you look at the Russel foster and TJFA leagues, its unbelievable how many youth teams aren't linked to NL/WL league clubs and how, the ones who are, in the main dont feel to be part of their club.