It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Whitley Bay FC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 am 

Well, that was an eventful night last night! The management team have left to join North Shields and following that announcement our social media manager, YouTube channel lad, tea hut lady and even the guy on tannoy duties have resigned from their voluntary posts as a result. Seen as the club's forum doesn't even work these days I thought I'd make a thread on NLZ.

Shocking that what started as such a promising season is petering out so rapidly. The management team were clearly invested in the project at Whitley & haven't been supported well enough. The pitch at Hillheads is embarrassing & not at all fit for what this squad is capable of which is reflected by our awful home form compared to brilliant away form. Club haven't even got enough decent footballs to make it through 90 minutes without having to interrupt play to swap them out numerous times per home game. If the club had any real ambition this was the set up to take us forward. Still got a great young squad at the club but it'll be a long time before we get another squad/management team as good as we started this season with.

Love the club & have only missed 4 of our 41 games this season, but there seems to be something seriously wrong behind closed doors. As a club the message has been sent that we're happy to just exist rather than progress & unless there is big change I think I'll be getting a Newcastle Falcons season ticket next year instead.

Post subject: Re: Whitley Bay FC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am 

the ones who have caused this are the ones who should resign but they will not accept they are the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 am 

Location: Westerhope...formerly Bedlington - Home to the most successful team in Wansbeck
Is the infamous Pool Club still going?

Dave Anderson
http://www.bedlingtonterriersfc.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 pm 

Very strange for not just the management side to go. But all the volunteers too. Any ideas of exactly what has happened to start all of this? Feel for WB but agree, the pitch is brutal. Hopefully can sort something soon.

All the best to Nashy, Woody and Chris at Shields.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm 

footyfan1 wrote:
Very strange for not just the management side to go. But all the volunteers too. Any ideas of exactly what has happened to start all of this? Feel for WB but agree, the pitch is brutal. Hopefully can sort something soon.

I think the management team had just done such a good job of making the volunteers feel involved in the club that they've sided with them in whatever has went on to cause this and don't feel they can continue in their positions. I could be wrong on that though.

Should also say all the best to Nash, Woody and Chrissy at Shields - very rare that you'd wish people well on moving to your local rivals but given the difference in ambition between the two clubs it seems a no brainer tbh :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm 

RyanS732 wrote:
footyfan1 wrote:

I think the management team had just done such a good job of making the volunteers feel involved in the club that they've sided with them in whatever has went on to cause this and don't feel they can continue in their positions. I could be wrong on that though.

Should also say all the best to Nash, Woody and Chrissy at Shields - very rare that you'd wish people well on moving to your local rivals but given the difference in ambition between the two clubs it seems a no brainer tbh :shock:

Whatever happened to supporting the club and not just individuals at the club :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 pm 

Mike M wrote:
RyanS732 wrote:
footyfan1 wrote:

Whatever happened to supporting the club and not just individuals at the club :roll:

I agree with supporting the club through thick and thin results wise, but if you flat-out disagree with the direction a club is heading you're well within your rights to stop volunteering your own time to support the decision-makers at the club. As far as I'm aware of all volunteers will be continuing to attend games as fans, although a couple of fans have mentioned a boycott on Twitter. It might seem melodramatic but for some people this stems all the way back to the Vase wins and has been building up for a long time.

From a personal point of view I was under the impression Whitley did have some ambition to climb the leagues in the future and actions this season suggest we don't, which makes you wonder what the point in following the club is if the long-term goal is to just continue existing in the Northern League. Again, I could be wrong about that and hope I am - but based on what we've seen this season it's hard to come to any other conclusion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:14 pm 

I don't know what it's like with other clubs but for me one of the biggest issues has been the silence from the club as to its direction. I've been going along since 83 and apart from a couple of years, particularly at the end of our Unibond experience when we all knew we were in financial difficulties, you never hear anything from the board regarding their hopes or aspirations. This has permitted a spirit of gossip and conspiracy theories to pervade the terraces over the years (particularly with the whereabouts of the Vase winnings). I've generally tried to avoid most of this, my day to day work and life gives me plenty enough to concern myself about, I just want to watch a game of football and have the drama on the pitch alone.
In recent memory, with the exception of Leon Ryan's departure, our managers have left with a unfilled cloud pervading over them. I'm not interested in the details of playing budgets, wages, the pool club or club accounts, you're the board, you can sort that lot out - but what as fans should be our expectations. Are we interested in promotion, or are we going to be low (or nil) paying club developing players (and managers) for better things, and there is nothing wrong in the latter. The perception as it stands is that some people know what's going, the rest of us are clueless with the result you feel that it's a business relationship in which we pay our money for a product, which is a shame as I've always thought non-league was always a bit more than that.

Last edited by aidan's father on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am 

So according to the Whitley Bay Reserves twitter feed, Gavin Hattrick takes control in a caretaker function tomorrow, with Gareth Williams helping. Nothing official from the first team website or any social media, but then that could be because the social media chappie resigned on Wednesday too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 am 

The social media guy will be a big loss, done an excellent job with the Facebook and Twitter accounts. The website says there's an update coming this afternoon so hopefully get a bit more information then.

Be very interesting to see what kind of team we've got out tomorrow as I imagine a couple of players will be following the management to Shields.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:19 pm 

RyanS732 wrote:
The social media guy will be a big loss, done an excellent job with the Facebook and Twitter accounts. The website says there's an update coming this afternoon so hopefully get a bit more information then.

Be very interesting to see what kind of team we've got out tomorrow as I imagine a couple of players will be following the management to Shields.

If some players move to Shields, surely they won't be playing for Shields tomorrow, tis already Friday ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm 

Steve H wrote:
RyanS732 wrote:

If some players move to Shields, surely they won't be playing for Shields tomorrow, tis already Friday ?

Northern League rules allow players to be registered up to four hours before kick off

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm 

collingwood wrote:
Steve H wrote:
RyanS732 wrote:

Northern League rules allow players to be registered up to four hours before kick off

yes but do you not have to give 7 days notice if you want to sign somebody from another northern league club.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 am 

Regardless of whether there is a notice period I wouldn't expect them to play for Whitley today if they are moving on due to the circumstances.

Latest from the club website ahead of Seaham's visit today:

Quote:

Whitley will have Reserve Team manager Gavin Hattrick in charge for this game, assisted by Gareth Williams, who played for the Bay over many years and was a member of the 2011 FA Vase winning side. The process of appointing a new manager is well underway with interviews expected to take place early next week.

http://whitleybayfc.com/

I personally think Bry Smith would appease the fans but he gave up the Shields job due to it being too much of a time-commitment so unlikely to happen. Really important for the club to get this appointment right if they want to get disgruntled fans/volunteers back on side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:45 am 

RyanS732 wrote:
Regardless of whether there is a notice period I wouldn't expect them to play for Whitley today if they are moving on due to the circumstances.

Latest from the club website ahead of Seaham's visit today:

Quote:

Whitley will have Reserve Team manager Gavin Hattrick in charge for this game, assisted by Gareth Williams, who played for the Bay over many years and was a member of the 2011 FA Vase winning side. The process of appointing a new manager is well underway with interviews expected to take place early next week.

http://whitleybayfc.com/

I personally think Bry Smith would appease the fans but he gave up the Shields job due to it being too much of a time-commitment so unlikely to happen. Really important for the club to get this appointment right if they want to get disgruntled fans/volunteers back on side.

It's going to take more that a good management appointment to get the fans and especially voluteers back onside.