It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Foul and abusive language
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 am 

There are two issues here, dissent and foul language. On dissent, clearly it is up to referees to take a stand, but unfortunately few do it rigorously enough to stop it happening. On bad language, some players (and managers, coaches, etc) seem to have no barriers to what they yell, be it at the officials, the opposition, their teammates or even themselves. There used to be a generally accepted code of conduct that you didn't swear in front of women or children, but that seems to have disappeared completely in local football. To me, it demonstrates a lack of respect for others and, in fact, for oneself. Unless the league or the clubs themselves decide to take a stand on this it will continue to get worse, but I can't see that happening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am 

Have to agree with Maz on the Durham City game. I despise audible swearing and cringe when our players do it but I have to say last Tuesday at Willington I heard very little swearing shouted out by the players of either side. Lots from the home dugout and behind but noit a lot from the players.

Have to agree with Maz and Les that if the ref takes a dim view early on or even warns the players in the changing rooms that he will act immediately on foul and abusive language then we will get less. Up to the men in black and their assistants. Some of the abuse I have heard assistants take is not on and they should report this to the ref who should take action to protect his "team"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am 
Site Admin

If it’s the referees are at fault for not punishing foul and abusive language, then assessors should be advised to tell referees and mark them on it. Proper “policing” of on pitch bad language will soon stop it.

As for fans, it’s down to themselves and the clubs to cut down and stop it. Language changes and what is generally acceptable now would have been pit language until recently , but there is no excuse for the trades that have been reported here or elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm 

While the officials are partly to blame for not taking any action , i really cant
understand how players feel that they need to be warned before hand.
I totally agree with Raffleman when saying it demonstrates a lack of respect for
everybody involved including themselves.
I wonder how they would react if people started to swear obscenities infront
of their young children or grandparents, surely just because they are on a football
field shouldn't give them a free reign to do so with other peoples families.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm 

In an under 18 game fairly recently, I had cause to dismiss a player for swearing, his coach an NL player told me he should not be sent off, as he wasn't swearing at me.

Now, if we consider he shouted "**** off ref!", I wonder if that reasoning stands up to question. Beyond that, in the dying embers of a game, I followed the correct substitution procedure and the same coach shouted "Oh ******* hell referee!".

I blame the TV...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 pm 

So what about refs swear at players and staff?, that ok?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm 

Is that a question you really need to ask???

"He swore at me so I'm swearing back". Jees....

I must be old-school but if you use bad language when there's kids about then you need to have a word with yourself. I don't care what role you have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 pm 

The Falcon wrote:
Is that a question you really need to ask???

It is yes because it’s relevant, rhetorical and facetious fair enough, but if we are expecting players and staff not to swear and referee’s to clamp down then referee’s calling players c**ts which happened on Saturday can’t happen surely. Personally I think people get far too offended by words in general, it’s pathetic, my daughter hears an adult swearing she know’s the adult is in the wrong because I’ve taught her that way but she is going to see and hear swear words be it on social media, in the school yard or on a football pitch it’s inevitable, stop being so precious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm 

We would never see a game finished if referees started giving red cards for foul language. The challenge at this level for most NL clubs is that due to fairly low attendances you generally hear most bad language from players and dugout staff.

In comparison at the top level in the Premier League you don’t necessarily hear the bad language from players due to size of crowds but it certainly still goes on.

The only way to clamp down on it is for the FA to implement it from the top down and not the bottom up. Until the top referees enforce it there is little chance of stopping it. And the premier league won’t allow that as it will affect the global brand and number of viewers.

To add, at the lower level of football the clubs will mark referees at the end of each game. A couple of red cards for bad lanaguage will certainly not go down well with club secretaries as their fines will go through the roof when making ends meet is already difficult.

I think it’s a collective problem in the game that requires the powers that be to enforce top down to bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm 

spartacus wrote:
We would never see a game finished if referees started giving red cards for foul language. The challenge at this level for most NL clubs is that due to fairly low attendances you generally hear most bad language from players and dugout staff.

In comparison at the top level in the Premier League you don’t necessarily hear the bad language from players due to size of crowds but it certainly still goes on.

The only way to clamp down on it is for the FA to implement it from the top down and not the bottom up. Until the top referees enforce it there is little chance of stopping it. And the premier league won’t allow that as it will affect the global brand and number of viewers.

To add, at the lower level of football the clubs will mark referees at the end of each game. A couple of red cards for bad lanaguage will certainly not go down well with club secretaries as their fines will go through the roof when making ends meet is already difficult.

I think it’s a collective problem in the game that requires the powers that be to enforce top down to bottom.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 pm 

allets2010 wrote:

Tail end of last season, five minutes in, the referee swore at the player I was marking. Nobody took offence. Mid way through the second half the same player swore at the referee. As the ref was processing the player, I made it clear that as the match official, he could not have it all ways.

Before every game I make it clear to both sets of players that if they swear at me I will dismiss them and I will send it in. I owe it to all other referees... I also tell them that if I hear them swearing at all, I have a decision to make. That usually sets the tone, no language, no cards. Lovely!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

I watched a game last season, keeper had ball in his hands, boots it down the field way past any player. As it rolled out for a goal kick he bellowed to his winger "F***ing chase the c*** then".
I was standing behind the opposite goal to this keeper and heard it as if he was stood next to me. Now that has nothing to do with the Premier League and everything to do with being a clown. If you want to stop foul language then don't do it. Stop blaming TV or other people and stop passing the buck.

If you don't want to stop, carry on.....but you'll sound like a prat.....and probably get booked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:59 pm 

Maybe more female refs is the answer. There seems to be a bit more respect shown by the players towards them than male refs, even when they make a daft decision!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm 

johnna wrote:
allets2010 wrote:

Tail end of last season, five minutes in, the referee swore at the player I was marking. Nobody took offence. Mid way through the second half the same player swore at the referee. As the ref was processing the player, I made it clear that as the match official, he could not have it all ways.

Before every game I make it clear to both sets of players that if they swear at me I will dismiss them and I will send it in. I owe it to all other referees... I also tell them that if I hear them swearing at all, I have a decision to make. That usually sets the tone, no language, no cards. Lovely!

Perfect way of managing the game mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm 

The Falcon wrote:
I watched a game last season, keeper had ball in his hands, boots it down the field way past any player. As it rolled out for a goal kick he bellowed to his winger "F***ing chase the c*** then".
[b][b]I was standing behind the opposite goal to this keeper and heard it as if he was stood next to me.[/b][/b] Now that has nothing to do with the Premier League and everything to do with being a clown. If you want to stop foul language then don't do it. Stop blaming TV or other people and stop passing the buck.

If you don't want to stop, carry on.....but you'll sound like a prat.....and probably get booked.

Aw bless you, are you ok?