It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Foul and abusive language
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:38 pm 

Love the forum and all the debates but i rarely post, but after reading some comments from a player last week regarding some spectators abusing the referee and appealing for every decision, whilst not defending the behavior of a very small minority of supporters I do feel its a bit hypercritical after listening to the foul and abusive language coming from the players on the pitch in the same game.
I know some might say its a competitive football match and you have to expect some bad language, but its getting way out of hand, players and management screaming foul language at the top of their voice over the slightest of things such as a throw in.
I was at the Durham game with my granddaughter and nearly walked out after hearing the words dirty c..t and effing c..t some many times.
Its about time the role models (the players) toned it down a little or even better the officials actually did something about it then maybe more parents could take their small children.
The FA preach on about the code of conduct but are totally blinkered on these matters.

Post subject: Re: Foul and abusive language
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm 

I completely agree.
My wife and sister in law wouldn’t attend another game after witnessing the language used.
Unfortunately the league saw fit to disband the Secret Shopper initiative despite it being an award winning scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm 

On saturday our referee called a player a c**t and asst referee called a coach a f**king idiot, now tbf the player may well be a c**t and the coach a f**king idiot but a referee who uses language like that to players or staff can’t go booking people for foul and abusive language. As for the secret shopper, it was subjective nonsense and some of the people who were doing the reporting had agendas against certain clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:11 pm 

Nextgoalwins73 wrote:
Love the forum and all the debates but i rarely post, but after reading some comments from a player last week regarding some spectators abusing the referee and appealing for every decision, whilst not defending the behavior of a very small minority of supporters I do feel its a bit hypercritical after listening to the foul and abusive language coming from the players on the pitch in the same game.
I know some might say its a competitive football match and you have to expect some bad language, but its getting way out of hand, players and management screaming foul language at the top of their voice over the slightest of things such as a throw in.
I was at the Durham game with my granddaughter and nearly walked out after hearing the words dirty c..t and effing c..t some many times.
Its about time the role models (the players) toned it down a little or even better the officials actually did something about it then maybe more parents could take their small children.
The FA preach on about the code of conduct but are totally blinkered on these matters.

I don’t recall any Durham or CLS players using foul and anusive language in that game mind.
I know it goes on in games however I always say that that is up to the ref to manage the language and dissent.
I’ve always said that an early card for the first show of dissent then shows players it won’t be tolerated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:43 pm 

marron04 wrote:
I don’t recall any Durham or CLS players using foul and anusive language in that game mind.
I know it goes on in games however I always say that that is up to the ref to manage the language and dissent.
I’ve always said that an early card for the first show of dissent then shows players it won’t be tolerated.

I'm not sure if you were maybe too involved in the game but how you didn't hear
any swearing is beyond me.
Also cant see why it should be solely left for the referee to handle the problem.
players are surely mature enough to refrain from using it.
Its not always just dissent either, a misplaced pass is often followed by a mouthful
of bad language.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm 

I was at this game and I heard loads of shouting, twisting, and over excited players and management teams for that matter however I could see there frustration getting louder as the referee and the linesman kept mixing the decisions up no wonder they were angry however apart from the gent behind the dugout I carnt say I heard too much swearing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm 

Most people now just seem to turn a blind eye or ear to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 pm 

Sossa wrote:
I was at this game and I heard loads of shouting, twisting, and over excited players and management teams for that matter however I could see there frustration getting louder as the referee and the linesman kept mixing the decisions up no wonder they were angry however apart from the gent behind the dugout I carnt say I heard too much swearing

Got to agree with that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm 

Nextgoalwins73 wrote:
marron04 wrote:

Also cant see why it should be solely left for the referee to handle the problem.
Its not always just dissent either, a misplaced pass is often followed by a mouthful
of bad language.

Well I heard the swearing off the field but I honestly heard no swearing from any of the players on either side.
Perhaps it was drowned out by the Home dugouts constant appealing about decisions and trying to get CLS players booked :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:38 pm 

marron04 wrote:
Nextgoalwins73 wrote:
marron04 wrote:

of bad language.

Well I heard the swearing off the field but I honestly heard no swearing from any of the players on either side.
Perhaps it was drowned out by the Home dugouts constant appealing about decisions and trying to get CLS players booked :wink:

May i suggest selective hearing :D
It certainly went on. i cant really see the point of saying it for the sake of it.
But looking at the bigger picture and not just this game, i've watched the Northern
for 30yrs and it was never used like it is today, maybe the standard of the league and society has declined more than i thought it had.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 pm 

I totally agree with the original post. I simply won't take my son to Northern League games based on the language players use. Now that might mean nothing to most people but where does that leave attendances if the next generation aren't interested?

Oh, and I thought the Secret Shopper was an excellent initiative and I checked the table regularly to see what games I fancied going to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 pm 

The Falcon wrote:
I totally agree with the original post. I simply won't take my son to Northern League games based on the language players use. Now that might mean nothing to most people but where does that leave attendances if the next generation aren't interested?

Oh, and I thought the Secret Shopper was an excellent initiative and I checked the table regularly to see what games I fancied going to.

It had too many flaws though, some of the “secret shoppers” certainly had agendas against certain teams and certain players so the same players and teams were always getting poor reports

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 pm 

Probably had an agenda against the teams/players that swore a lot. The players that lacked any respect towards the spectators, officials and teams they represented.

Thought it was a great initiative. Though i conceed it wasn't enforced consistently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 pm 

I agree with the OP; am afraid it is a symptom of modern society, foul language is almost everywhere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am 

As a NL Secretary at the time of the Secret Shopper I agreed it was a good idea but many of the reports were staggering and written as if they hadn't been at the game, which caused several issues and a couple of times I laughed at the full marks we got as they weren't merited and low marks at games I never heard or seen any issues and in the end you stop taking notice of the reports and it fell away as the NL had no authority to do anything but whinge at secretaries and inn the end a good idea went by the wayside.

Referees have the power to do something about it and I agree with Maz they can make life easier booking the first dissenter but many don't find it offensive so they don't do anything.