It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Foul and abusive language
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm 

After NTFC's 4th goal in the 6-6 draw with Alnwick - the Alnwick number 6 totally lost it at the linesman and unleashed a load of foul and abusive language towards him (thought the goal should not have stood as the keeper had been fouled) - no action taken - seconds later another Alnwick player questioned the referee's decision to award the goal and got booked. Surely everyone in the ground heard the rant and the referee was in ear shot. Why the booking for dissent and not foul and abusive language?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 pm 

allets2010 wrote:
The Falcon wrote:
Is that a question you really need to ask???

It is yes because it’s relevant, rhetorical and facetious fair enough, but if we are expecting players and staff not to swear and referee’s to clamp down then referee’s calling players c**ts which happened on Saturday can’t happen surely. Personally I think people get far too offended by words in general, it’s pathetic, my daughter hears an adult swearing she know’s the adult is in the wrong because I’ve taught her that way but she is going to see and hear swear words be it on social media, in the school yard or on a football pitch it’s inevitable, stop being so precious.

So it's precious to mention unnecessary foul and abusive language and people are too offended by words in general but it seems if it's a referee swearing it's ok to be offended? Isnt your post is a bit of a contradiction and it's nothing new for the odd referee to swear, but it's a lot lot less common than players using un-necessaary language on a football field.

I hope you've recovered from the shock of the referee swearing though as we know it can be upsetting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm 

Noeldinho wrote:
After NTFC's 4th goal in the 6-6 draw with Alnwick - the Alnwick number 6 totally lost it at the linesman and unleashed a load of foul and abusive language towards him (thought the goal should not have stood as the keeper had been fouled) - no action taken - seconds later another Alnwick player questioned the referee's decision to award the goal and got booked. Surely everyone in the ground heard the rant and the referee was in ear shot. Why the booking for dissent and not foul and abusive language?

They are simply not doing their jobs correctly mate. Say anything to a referee and your in with a good chance of a card, yet they constantly let foul and abusive language go a miss as if they never heard it.

One or two people have said you'll never get a game finished if they keep giving
red cards out. Nobody has said that is what is needed, but it would be nice if
the referee stepped in and had a quiet word instead of ignoring it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 pm 

ressly pest wrote:
allets2010 wrote:
The Falcon wrote:
Is that a question you really need to ask???

It is yes because it’s relevant, rhetorical and facetious fair enough, but if we are expecting players and staff not to swear and referee’s to clamp down then referee’s calling players c**ts which happened on Saturday can’t happen surely. Personally I think people get far too offended by words in general, it’s pathetic, my daughter hears an adult swearing she know’s the adult is in the wrong because I’ve taught her that way but she is going to see and hear swear words be it on social media, in the school yard or on a football pitch it’s inevitable, stop being so precious.

So it's precious to mention unnecessary foul and abusive language and people are too offended by words in general but it seems if it's a referee swearing it's ok to be offended? Isnt your post is a bit of a contradiction and it's nothing new for the odd referee to swear, but it's a lot lot less common than players using un-necessaary language on a football field.

I hope you've recovered from the shock of the referee swearing though as we know it can be upsetting.

haha no it’s the contradictions that I have a problem with not bad language, I’m more bothered about some of the bad tackles and off the ball stuff such as spitting at people and off the ball elbows in the face that I’ve seen this season, language doesn’t bother me at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

marron04 wrote:
johnna wrote:
allets2010 wrote:
So what about refs swear at players and staff?, that ok?

Tail end of last season, five minutes in, the referee swore at the player I was marking. Nobody took offence. Mid way through the second half the same player swore at the referee. As the ref was processing the player, I made it clear that as the match official, he could not have it all ways.

Before every game I make it clear to both sets of players that if they swear at me I will dismiss them and I will send it in. I owe it to all other referees... I also tell them that if I hear them swearing at all, I have a decision to make. That usually sets the tone, no language, no cards. Lovely!

Perfect way of managing the game mate

Fully agree. Would be great to see more of this

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 pm 

I hope you've recovered from the shock of the referee swearing though as we know it can be upsetting.[/quote]

haha no it’s the contradictions that I have a problem with not bad language, I’m more bothered about some of the bad tackles and off the ball stuff such as spitting at people and off the ball elbows in the face that I’ve seen this season, language doesn’t bother me at all.[/quote]

Cant disagree all of the above are un-acceptable and over many years playing and watching ive not seen many Spitting incidents and elbowing off the ball either to be honest, but of course it happens from time to time, bad tackles have always happened but thankfully there isn't that many serious injuries caused by them in a season, appreciating even one is too many it has always happened. Swearing used to be a huge deal in the NL and going back 30 year when I first played in NL you just didn't do it as the league controlled officials and jumping up and down on anyone swearing was a league directive, right or wrong is another discussion.

Imho swearing is un-necessary in a lot of the cases and can and should be managed better by officials but ive had more than one official say if I sent off 3 or 4 players for swearing id get bottom marks off the club or clubs and a letter off the league asking what the hell I was doing. As always Referees cant win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 pm 

ressly pest wrote:

Imho swearing is un-necessary in a lot of the cases and can and should be managed better by officials but ive had more than one official say if I sent off 3 or 4 players for swearing id get bottom marks off the club or clubs and a letter off the league asking what the hell I was doing. As always Referees cant win. [/b]

This is a moot point. The first red for swearing in any given game is easy enough, but then when another player swears and players run up to you pointing the fact out it gets tougher!

Prevention is, as ever, better than cure. Get in the changers for the game, warn both sets. Re affirm it to both captains over the toss and you've a chance of avoiding it.

Once players can swear at you, they have crossed the Rubicon. Players then have openly declared that they disregard your authority.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:38 am 

At the end of the day the power is in the hands of the FA and the referees themselves.
That’s why I was personally against the Secret Shopper you didn’t need someone snitching around shopping people, if the official representatives of the game at matches namely the 3 officials did their job.
The FA should instruct the officials to clamp down and implement the rules of the game, giving out yellows and reds for foul and abusive language.
Once clubs see their team being reduced to 9 or 10 men, then decimated through suspensions it would soon be reduced, although you’ll never eradicate it completely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:37 am 

If this language is driving down crowds in non league football then something needs to change in a day when clubs are struggling to survive as it is. That said I think it’s too easy to say the match officials should just issue cards. Does the rules not say ‘in the opinion of the referee’ with regards to dissent, foul and abusive language. In which case you will always get different opinions on every scenario, nature of the game, history between players etc. Just because I hear some bad language behind one goal does not mean that someone stood on the halfway line does. And just because I hear it does the referee hear it?? They have a tough job to manage 22 players and the game itself, throw in animated coaches and trying to impress assessor. A difficult job yet the majority of people’s views on here is a simple solution of ‘just send the player off’.

I don’t think it should be ignored but I personally think it needs more FA enforcement from the top down, this way when we all see it on Sky Sports on a Sunday and media talk about it then it can be filtered down to our leagues.

Some of the worst offenders have been recent past England captains (shearer, Rooney, Terry).

It will never be stopped and the sad part of this all is potentially clubs are losing spectators, in particular the young members who clubs should be trying to retain for the future of their clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:01 am 

Bad language isnt about opinion. e.g if someone says f off or c*** etc. Thats bad language. Nature of game, history between players and such like is totally irrevelant. Your in effect saying 2 players can swear because they have history but another 2 who have never played each other cant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 am 

trevor56 wrote:
Bad language isnt about opinion. e.g if someone says f off or c*** etc. Thats bad language. Nature of game, history between players and such like is totally irrevelant. Your in effect saying 2 players can swear because they have history but another 2 who have never played each other cant.

The Laws of the Game dont mention 'Bad Language' though and its always In the opinion of the referee. Foul and Abusive Language is actually hard to quantify as what is Foul and Abusive to one person simply isn't to another. Some people swear a lot in life others wouldnt dream of it and whatever we as individuals think it is still the referees call.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 am 
Site Admin

A year or two ago the FA tried to change the interpretation so that “foul” and “abusive” language were separated.

I believe a player successfully appealed a red card because whereas he admitted that his language was foul, as he didn’t direct it anyone it couldn’t be abusive.

Language generally is changing and what was foul a few years ago is heard more often.

You only have to check NLZ’s swear filter to see that posters on here are no angels, and often these are the ones complaining about players language.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm 

AllyGB wrote:
A year or two ago the FA tried to change the interpretation so that “foul” and “abusive” language were separated.

I believe a player successfully appealed a red card because whereas he admitted that his language was foul, as he didn’t direct it anyone it couldn’t be abusive.

Language generally is changing and what was foul a few years ago is heard more often.

You only have to check NLZ’s swear filter to see that posters on here are no angels, and often these are the ones complaining about players language.

Yeah! What a set of badgers the hypocritical trunks...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 pm 

Having moved up here from down south and after watching at various different grounds, I have been very pleasantly surprised at how little dissent there is from players towards the officials. Watching step 3,4 and 5 games in Kent and Sussex it was a wonder any finished 11 v 11 given the amount of swearing

However, the less pleasant surprise is the level of dissent and abuse from the supporters. As a unbiased watcher you have very good officials in the main in the NL and I feel they get too little credit for the time they put into the game