It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern League Restructure Proposal
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm 

Anyone any idea when the FA and/or the NL are expected to make a statement regarding the outcome of the Appeal today?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 am 

CharlesRhodeAtlas wrote:
Anyone any idea when the FA and/or the NL are expected to make a statement regarding the outcome of the Appeal today?

The appeal was dismissed out of hand, apparently.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 am 

el Queso Grande wrote:
CharlesRhodeAtlas wrote:

The appeal was dismissed out of hand, apparently.

https://mikeamosblog.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:45 am 

I've not read Mikes blog for a while so appreciate the link but I dont agree with him and believe automatic promotion is overdue and the NL will get on without its so called bigger clubs like we have without Blyth, Whitby, Spennymoor, South Shields, Darlington and at various times over the years Bishop Auckland, Durham, North Shields, Whitley Bay because that's what happens when your part of a pyramid.

Promotion into the NL has allowed good clubs like West Allotment, Heaton Stan, Jarrow, and many others to progress into the NL from the Northern Alliance and Wearside leagues.

I dont know clubs budgets but id hazard a guesstimate that most of the so called bigger clubs in the NL have a bigger budget than Whitby who have miraculously (well not really) managed for many years in leagues above. Theyve aways known they can be relegated back into the NL if it goes wrong but its not happened yet and good luck to them.

The Northern League committee could have a massive choice coming up if any of their clubs appeal promotion because backing them could see the league thrown out the Pyramid which would seemingly suit some clubs if they could stay in the Vase and FA Cup whch would be unlikely and rightly so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 am 

Location: Westerhope...formerly Bedlington - Home to the most successful team in Wansbeck
ressly pest wrote:
I've not read Mikes blog for a while so appreciate the link but I dont agree with him and believe automatic promotion is overdue and the NL will get on without its so called bigger clubs like we have without Blyth, Whitby, Spennymoor, South Shields, Darlington and at various times over the years Bishop Auckland, Durham, North Shields, Whitley Bay because that's what happens when your part of a pyramid.

Promotion into the NL has allowed good clubs like West Allotment, Heaton Stan, Jarrow, and many others to progress into the NL from the Northern Alliance and Wearside leagues.

I dont know clubs budgets but id hazard a guesstimate that most of the so called bigger clubs in the NL have a bigger budget than Whitby who have miraculously (well not really) managed for many years in leagues above. Theyve aways known they can be relegated back into the NL if it goes wrong but its not happened yet and good luck to them.

The Northern League committee could have a massive choice coming up if any of their clubs appeal promotion because backing them could see the league thrown out the Pyramid which would seemingly suit some clubs if they could stay in the Vase and FA Cup whch would be unlikely and rightly so.

Agree 100% Les

Dave Anderson
http://www.bedlingtonterriersfc.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:00 am 

Well said, as a Whitby fan, the promotion moans irk me for that reason. The sky high budgets could easily afford to progress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 am 

Very disappointed with Mike Amos's blog, Sounded very much like a little child crying in his pram when he's lost his toy, I've always said Mike's heart was in the right place for the league and would always help clubs if and when needed, But the league was his priority, NOT for Ambitious clubs who want to progress up the pyramid league, Mike wanted the Northern League to look good by winning the FA Vase on a regular bases with it's top teams, Personally I think today is a great day for North East football and the rebirth of the Northern League with fresh exciting challenges ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:48 am 

Automatic promotion would be a good thing if the lower reaches of the game was still strong as it was say 20 years ago and beyond, when there were many ambitious and strong clubs looking to progress, but it simply isn't.
There's virtually no leagues left in the north east below Wearside and Alliance League level, all this focus by the FA on the pyramid and upper reaches of non league is simply ignoring the crisis which is at hand in the real grass routes.
Imagine what the Northern League will be like in say 5 or 10 years, Amos is right it'll be not far off a pub league.
There's simply not the strength or structure below the pyramid to sustain this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 am 

I think participation is down nationwide, so it isn't just an issue in the North East. There are some good, ambitious clubs and leagues below the Northern League so no need to fear. There are already too many clubs in there, it could easily function with 18 or so clubs as many further south do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am 

Mike Amos appears confused as to why the FA turned down the seemingly excellent appeal by the NL, so obviously he never read the post I wrote on here earlier. Calling the FA bully boys is not very helpful nor tactful, nor diplomatic. The NL has to accept is part of the pyramid and make the best of it. The consequences of noncompliance are not worth thinking about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 am 

The whole thing is a shambles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:52 am 

However little fella Mike is entitled to his opinion just like you or anyone else on here. Now that he is a "lay person" northern league wise what he thinks is a personal attitude and not that propounded by the league. Totally agree with your second part of the contribution and totally agree with les and dave from earlier. We have to accept the rules and move on, no two ways about it.

BTW welcome back Dave!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:55 am 

Sea View, I agree local football is dying and you can gauge that by the number of U18 leagues now compared to 30 year ago when i played junior football, the kids have a million other distractions now and i still believe starting at U6s has them sick of football by 16 as well, but not sure why automatic promotion from the NL has any bearing on that, clubs that go up can be relegated back into NL if they struggle, where is the problem?

The NL cant have it all ways as they seem to not want to promote clubs yet stay in a pyramid that allows them to play in and win the Vase every season and make a few quid in the FA Cup. It will be very interesting to see who finishes top 2 and what they decide to do about it, if both are promoted.

Mike has always given his views honestly and he's entitled to them and I've agreed with most over the years, we've certainly disagreed before aswell but that's also fine, but not sure what he's hoping to gain by this blog post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:10 am 

One league official from the SWPL, on a separate forum. Who is on the F.A.’s step 5/6 committee. Has suggested that the biggest problem isn’t who runs the new step 4 league or where it covers. It’s the fact that moving the top NL teams up a level, only delays the issue with compulsory promotion for a season. The same clubs that are at the top of the current NL, would then be at the top of this proposed step 4 league. If they were promoted, they would then face an even bigger footprint at step 3 & everyone that’s banging the drum against compulsory promotion, will be banging those drums even harder.
That’s why a more difficult step 4 league in the area is crucial imo. So the likelihood of promotion, becomes less certain. So the NL & clubs must accept compulsory promotion at every step!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am 

The NL has to accept what is happening, like it should have done many years ago. Imagine how many NL clubs would be in the Evo Stik Div One North league now had clubs accepted promotion? And costs don’t come into it for me, just don’t pay silly money to playing staff and use budget more wisely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next