It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern League Restructure Proposal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 pm 

paxton1410 wrote:
england wrote:
President_Obama wrote:
Surprised to read Frank Bell is part of the appeal, I always thought Consett wanted to go up, does anybody actually want to? I understand all the arguments about the pyramid etc and personally think it’s crackers to win a league and not go up but I think it’s a shame to just force anyone, I also get the “well if you don’t want to win the league then don’t pay the budget” but if every team started a season with a zero budget it could be any one of us and then there would be a lot more teams panicking. Surely the best solution is for anyone that actually wants to go up this season get them to say so, top two teams that fancy it can go then enforce it next season?

I might have a different view of everyone started with zero budget, but they don’t, hence why there is some opposition to teams not being pushed through the leagues and saying finances are the reason!!

So are you asking for a level playing field with “zero” budgets so your team can get promoted instead or just jealous?

Neither!!
Think is pretty obvious I’m saying I don’t have sympathy with clubs who have large budgets are don’t want to go up citing financial reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 am 

super_les wrote:
All about the NL rather than the clubs moving on and the NE being forward looking and progressive as much as we can by getting teams playing at the highest level possible.

Not sure if that was his expected role as Northern League Chairman to promote the league above the individual clubs moving on, I guess maybe it is and he was/is only doing what's best for the league but for me it holds back NE football.

Nothing against Amos, I enjoy reading his daily blog as I'm sure many others do but I'm glad he ain't the NL chairman anymore. His "devil take the hindmost" go-to response was getting pretty antiquated. Teams are finally having to go up through the leagues now, and it is seriously about time. Spennymoor and South Shields don't seem to be waxing nostalgic for the good old days of a safe, insular clique, whoops, I mean league, and the chance of a corporate jolly at Wembley in May for the Tinpot. No, they're powering through the opposition that's put in front of them and aiming as high as they can, and it is absolutely terrific to see. I wish them well, and I hope they continue to smash their way through the leagues.

The Northern League now has no choice but to finally get with the programme and not before time. It just makes me wonder, why on earth has it taken so long for the NL collectively to wake up and realise that there is a whole new footballing world waiting out there to be experienced. I say this as someone who moved to this area seven years ago, found and fell in love with his local team (Marske United) and decided to look into things a wee bit more. The 125-year history of the NL book is a terrific piece of local history and I enjoyed it very much but at the same time it epitomises everything that's wrong with football in the NE, in my view. So inward-looking, so parochial and so, so unambitious. The world's 2nd oldest league? Whoopty-doo! Doesn't mean a damn thing unless you test yourself, come out of your comfort zone and go as high as you possibly can. A little less back-slapping and a little more ambition. :) Who knows where you'll end up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:30 am 

There are two main problems with promotion up the pyramid. One is the extra travelling & the other is the F.A. unnecessary ground grading requirements. The F.A. aren’t going to change the grading requirements, but they could help grassroots football & make sure more that the funding filters down & it’s easier to access! They can then make sure they listen to clubs from the northeast & far southwest. By creating a structure that doesn’t kill off any clubs, that do go higher in the pyramid!

Last edited by Windy1970 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 am 

ParsJake wrote:
super_les wrote:
All about the NL rather than the clubs moving on and the NE being forward looking and progressive as much as we can by getting teams playing at the highest level possible.

Not sure if that was his expected role as Northern League Chairman to promote the league above the individual clubs moving on, I guess maybe it is and he was/is only doing what's best for the league but for me it holds back NE football.

Nothing against Amos, I enjoy reading his daily blog as I'm sure many others do but I'm glad he ain't the NL chairman anymore. His "devil take the hindmost" go-to response was getting pretty antiquated. Teams are finally having to go up through the leagues now, and it is seriously about time. Spennymoor and South Shields don't seem to be waxing nostalgic for the good old days of a safe, insular clique, whoops, I mean league, and the chance of a corporate jolly at Wembley in May for the Tinpot. No, they're powering through the opposition that's put in front of them and aiming as high as they can, and it is absolutely terrific to see. I wish them well, and I hope they continue to smash their way through the leagues.

The Northern League now has no choice but to finally get with the programme and not before time. It just makes me wonder, why on earth has it taken so long for the NL collectively to wake up and realise that there is a whole new footballing world waiting out there to be experienced. I say this as someone who moved to this area seven years ago, found and fell in love with his local team (Marske United) and decided to look into things a wee bit more. The 125-year history of the NL book is a terrific piece of local history and I enjoyed it very much but at the same time it epitomises everything that's wrong with football in the NE, in my view. So inward-looking, so parochial and so, so unambitious. The world's 2nd oldest league? Whoopty-doo! Doesn't mean a damn thing unless you test yourself, come out of your comfort zone and go as high as you possibly can. A little less back-slapping and a little more ambition. :) Who knows where you'll end up.

Best reply in ages, Well said, Unfortunatly there's far too may lets be home for tea brigade in the Northern League, Especially on this forum, And yes Mike Amos wasn't good for the Northen League, His style of Management was unhealthy and very old school 60's/70's, But upon saying that there is also some good people running the NL, All I will say embrace the future, Some very exiting times ahead, If you want to be the Best, Then play against the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:16 am 

Last two posts are spot on for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:49 am 

Location: Westerhope...formerly Bedlington - Home to the most successful team in Wansbeck
ParsJake wrote:

This

Dave Anderson
http://www.bedlingtonterriersfc.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:55 am 

Location: Westerhope...formerly Bedlington - Home to the most successful team in Wansbeck
Lovenonleague wrote:
Best reply in ages, Well said, Unfortunatly there's far too may lets be home for tea brigade in the Northern League, Especially on this forum, And yes Mike Amos wasn't good for the Northen League, His style of Management was unhealthy and very old school 60's/70's, But upon saying that there is also some good people running the NL, All I will say embrace the future, Some very exiting times ahead, If you want to be the Best, Then play against the Best.

To be fair to Mike, he was always there for a club in need, I can testify to that at Bedlington in 2006. We had many discussions over the years about potential restructuring and the role of the Northern League in it - and often disagreed - but his commitment to the league and its clubs was beyond doubt.

Also, a point often made on here, ultimately the League could never prevent a club wishing to take promotion form doing so, the club itself made that decision. After all, my own club knocked it back 5 years in a row. Who knows what might have happened had we pushed on when at our peak. Instead we are where we are today....

Dave Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 am 

Er, what if the NL win the appeal today? Someone I know believe they will but I still reckon not. Have the FA encouraged the NL to make the appeal? I can't see any other reason as to why they would have appealed. Either way it's going to be interesting to see what is actually in their appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am 

Isn't the appeal regarding the NL administering the proposed step 4 division, rather than 'promoting' the NL itself? I've read that the FA encouraged the NL to make this proposal and yet when they did, were knocked back? Perhaps the proposal was too limited in terms of catchment area?

I've come back a little late to this debate, so some clarity would be appreciated :D

Dave Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 am 

I hope they do win as it would be a big help to the region, I don't think the whole league should be promoted, though just an extra step 4 created.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am 

Terrierdave wrote:
Isn't the appeal regarding the NL administering the proposed step 4 division, rather than 'promoting' the NL itself? I've read that the FA encouraged the NL to make this proposal and yet when they did, were knocked back? Perhaps the proposal was too limited in terms of catchment area?

I've come back a little late to this debate, so some clarity would be appreciated :D

My understanding is the Northern League has tabled a proposal to administrate a step 4 league , however this has come at the 11th hour and since it has become clear compulsory promotion is happening and will make the league much weaker in the long run. This was rejected by the FA

In theory a great idea, just don't understand why this wasnt offered ages ago

Last edited by Wack on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am 

Terrierdave wrote:
Isn't the appeal regarding the NL administering the proposed step 4 division, rather than 'promoting' the NL itself?

Correct, Dave. The NL want to administrate one of the new Step 4 divisions, which would increase league membership to 60 clubs in 3 divisions and would increase the league's catchment area by bringing in teams which have qualified for Step 4 from other neighbouring leagues.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 am 

All sounds sensible - and the natural flow of clubs out of and back into the NL shouldn't reduce the quality of the competition. I'm not going to restart the debate that will already have been covered in this thread (and countless more over the past 10 years!) but a 1-2-4-8 structure is what many of have been crying out for for a long long time, and will reduce some of the fears fostered by the thought of automatic promotion.

Dave Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am 

el Queso Grande wrote:
Terrierdave wrote:
Isn't the appeal regarding the NL administering the proposed step 4 division, rather than 'promoting' the NL itself?

Correct, Dave. The NL want to administrate one of the new Step 4 divisions, which would increase league membership to 60 clubs in 3 divisions and would increase the league's catchment area by bringing in teams which have qualified for Step 4 from other neighbouring leagues.

At the meeting, the F.A. asked the NL to consider a step 4 league. At the end of the meeting, the NL stated they had considered it & the proposal was offered up. This was rejected by the F.A. On a personal basis, I think the NL’s proposal is next to nothing.
I agree that the NL covers a huge area, but let’s be honest here! It basically covers a tiny area from Middlesbrough to Newcastle & the surrounding areas. Yes, there’s the odd exception, but you can’t build a step 4 league in the same area & add the two clubs from North Yorkshire. There simply isn’t 60 clubs with the correct facilities! The F.A. wants to create a 1-2-4-8-16 pyramid. So that means if you are promoted, you’ve got to accept that the league you’re promoted into, is double the size of your current league.
With this in mind & the fact that the F.A. wants to create two more step 5 leagues. Also the lack of step 5 leagues in the north & midlands. I’d suggest that the F.A. might wait until those two new step 5 leagues have been created. So the NCEL becomes a Yorkshire league only for instance & the winners of that league & the NL are promoted into a northeastern & Yorkshire step 4 league. I don’t think it’s the administration that’s the issue. It’s being realistic with the proposals that’s the issue.
I have no idea what time the appeal is being held!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am 

Windy1970 wrote:
At the meeting, the F.A. asked the NL to consider a step 4 league. At the end of the meeting, the NL stated they had considered it & the proposal was offered up. This was rejected by the F.A. On a personal basis, I think the NL’s proposal is next to nothing.
I agree that the NL covers a huge area, but let’s be honest here! It basically covers a tiny area from Middlesbrough to Newcastle & the surrounding areas. Yes, there’s the odd exception, but you can’t build a step 4 league in the same area & add the two clubs from North Yorkshire. The F.A. wants to create a 1-2-4-8-16 pyramid. So that means if you are promoted, you’ve got to accept that the league you’re promoted into, is double the size of your current league.
With this in mind & the fact that the F.A. wants to create two more step 5 leagues. Also the lack of step 5 leagues in the north & midlands. I’d suggest that the F.A. might wait until those two new step 5 leagues have been created. So the NCEL becomes a Yorkshire league only for instance & the winners of that league & the NL are promoted into a northeastern & Yorkshire step 4 league. I don’t think it’s the administration that’s the issue. It’s being realistic with the proposals that’s the issue.
I have no idea what time the appeal is being held!

Thanks Windy! (By the way your last comment is a cross post from the other forum :wink: )

It seems a lifetime ago from when I was in regular correspondence with Mike Appleby about these issues. I agree that the NL will need to (literally) expand its horizons enough for the FA to seriously consider giving it such an administrative role.

Dave Anderson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next