It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern League Restructure Proposal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 pm 

handifan2 wrote:
Spenny are an interesting case study. Our squad in the ENL was huge, 25 or more at times, because that was the squad size needed to compete in every competition at that level. 2012/13 we played 75 games.
Now we see the entire squad every match day in the 11 on the pitch plus 5 subs. Injuries are covered by some very capable young lads at U18 sitting on the bench who also play in the DCC.
Yes, we do spend more on the squad now but we did make savings. We also charge £12 and get double the crowds that we did in the ENL. There are also many more ways to increase match revenue with catering, bars, platinum club, clubhouse, Night on the Town, golf days etc.. We have won more prize money from cup competitions than we ever could in the ENL.
This hasn't happened because our owner has money. It is good management and hard work by volunteers. We may one day need to survive without Mr Groves at the helm but I fear the loss of his drive, business acumen and ambition far more than I fear the loss of his money.

Those fans who don't go to watch ENL all know that it is a very low level of football. £5-£6 gate fee doesn't make it attractive, it just confirms what is on offer. They will happily pay double and more to watch a higher level of football. There are no league clubs in this area outside the big 3 and they are struggling to excite fans tbh. There is a thriving non-league scene in the North East outside the ENL. To all the clubs who have the potential, don't let the league hold you back. I'd say go for it, be a part of it and take part. Forget about the status of the ENL which is just a stepping stone in the pyramid. Be the best you can be.

Absolutely spot on, this can happen if people want to ale it happen, the finance argument is absolutely ludicrous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:13 pm 

Great Post, Also looks like South Shields are following Spennymoor’s example, Massive attendances, great quality of football, Wonderful match day experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 pm 

Don't necessarily disagree with the Spennymoor post but your forgetting it was the owners money initially that bought the club the time to build the commercial offering they have Now.

Spennymoor always had potential to get good crowds and have built on it very Well but it also took Spennymoor 4 years I believe to actually leave the NL and interesting you say don't let the league hold you back, name any club this leagues held back from taking promotion?

The winners will.go up this year and possibly 2nd aswell so well see natural movement and oddly enough had Spennymoor been forced to leave the NL the 1st year they won it things might not have been as straight forward as it was with them waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:14 pm 

ressly pest wrote:
Don't necessarily disagree with the Spennymoor post but your forgetting it was the owners money initially that bought the club the time to build the commercial offering they have Now.

Spennymoor always had potential to get good crowds and have built on it very Well but it also took Spennymoor 4 years I believe to actually leave the NL and interesting you say don't let the league hold you back, name any club this leagues held back from taking promotion?

The winners will.go up this year and possibly 2nd aswell so well see natural movement and oddly enough had Spennymoor been forced to leave the NL the 1st year they won it things might not have been as straight forward as it was with them waiting.

A very reasonable post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:50 am 

President_Obama wrote:
OhMightyOne wrote:
Steve H wrote:
Travel is a huge issue, anyone who cannot see this is being unrealistic.

Is it though? Is it really? We work with several bus companies where I work, on a weekly basis. I would assume that any northern league team with the right resources would strike a deal with a local bus company for a mid size bus. That bus company gets an almost weekly booking for half the year, and the club gets a slightly reduced price. Say it is then a fixed price of £1000 per match, which is quite realistic, then that equates to about £500 a week, arguably the same price as perhaps 2 or 3 players at this level.

Surely northern league teams must simply consolidate their squads?

That’s ok then, as long as you’ve got no school teachers, shift workers or people with 9-5 jobs in your, squad or committee you’ll be fine for the 2.30 meet for Colwyn Bay away.

The Evo-Stick league are usually very understanding when it comes to midweek games and travel, There is pretty much zero chance have any of our North East clubs travelling to places like Colwyn Bay for a midweek match, Those types of games would always be a Saturday match, even then Colwyn Bay are unlikley to be in the Northern Section when the new league commences later this year, Yes there could be the odd game towards Manchester on a midweek, but that would likely be no more than twice a season, Only time long distance midweek games could happen is if a club has a good run in one of the major cups or postponments meaning games being rearranged, But again the Evo-Stick league would try to change a fixture more locally from a Saturday to midweek then fill that slot with a further distance travel for the Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 am 

Spot on.

Yes, arduous midweek trips can happen- especially towards the back end of the season when there have been a lot of postponements and no other option. And sometimes it means travelling with a weakened squad and not getting a fair shot at a result. It does happen- it also happens to teams travelling up to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 am 

Good call Matt, home advantage can be a big factor.

We have done Colwyn Bay away ONCE in midweek, not bad after 20 years in the NPL. Got a great 4-1 win. Good luck to all seeking to progress. The changes will make this virtually nil in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 pm 

goose wrote:
Good call Matt, home advantage can be a big factor.

We have done Colwyn Bay away ONCE in midweek, not bad after 20 years in the NPL. Got a great 4-1 win. Good luck to all seeking to progress. The changes will make this virtually nil in the future.

If Colwyn Bay actually played in the WPL & not the NPL. We wouldn’t be using them as an example.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am 

I’ve been told that the NL’s appeal to the FA, is set for the 21st February at Wembley.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 pm 

Pi££ing in the wind mate,and the more I think about this the more I’m against it.nl move up one tier so teams promoted go into evo stick premier.given the league and clubs past a)the league doesn’t deserve such a privelage and b)just about all team will purposely fail ground grading so that they can’t go up.you could end up with bishop and maybe 1 other go up automatically 1 as automatic promotion despite finishing half way and the other come 4th bottom but be only representatives in the playoffs.............some neck on the league to even suggest it.at first I thought great idea,but really this needs a lot more thought to even give the fa something to think about

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:31 pm 

mut2011 wrote:
nl move up one tier so teams promoted go into evo stick premier.
I don't think that was the intention of the statement posted by Gav. My understanding of the original proposal is that the "new" division at Step 4 would be made up of teams who have qualified for the level and not just from the Northern League. Not that the current NL Div 1 became a Step 4 division. I therefore believe that the majority of clubs in the current NL div 1 would remain at Step 5.

Gav wrote:
That is why we, in accordance with Rule 3.3 of the regulations governing the National League System, have formally applied to the Football Association for the Ebac Northern League to adjust its position within the system to include a Step 4 division covering this region.

The proposed adjustment would see the addition of a Premier Division at Step 4, which would then feed into the Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division (at Step 3).

While the rest of the proposal would see two further divisions, each of twenty clubs at Steps 5 & 6 to ensure that there was an effective structure put in place for football in the North of England.

These changes would of necessity move current boundaries southwards, the effect of which would therefore be to bring a number of existing Step 4 clubs within the new regional boundaries.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm 

NPL First Division East but administered by the Northern League.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 am 

el Queso Grande wrote:
mut2011 wrote:
nl move up one tier so teams promoted go into evo stick premier.
I don't think that was the intention of the statement posted by Gav. My understanding of the original proposal is that the "new" division at Step 4 would be made up of teams who have qualified for the level and not just from the Northern League. Not that the current NL Div 1 became a Step 4 division. I therefore believe that the majority of clubs in the current NL div 1 would remain at Step 5.

Gav wrote:
That is why we, in accordance with Rule 3.3 of the regulations governing the National League System, have formally applied to the Football Association for the Ebac Northern League to adjust its position within the system to include a Step 4 division covering this region.

The proposed adjustment would see the addition of a Premier Division at Step 4, which would then feed into the Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division (at Step 3).

While the rest of the proposal would see two further divisions, each of twenty clubs at Steps 5 & 6 to ensure that there was an effective structure put in place for football in the North of England.

These changes would of necessity move current boundaries southwards, the effect of which would therefore be to bring a number of existing Step 4 clubs within the new regional boundaries.

The NL would be promoting multiple teams & this could be any figure whatsoever! I’d expect the NL to promote 10 clubs in one go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 am 

I’ve done a little projection on a new NPL1E division. If the FA decided to mass promote the top half of the EBAC NL & then add the clubs already at step 4. In my projection I’ve promoted the top 2 teams on a ppg basis at step 4 up to step 3. I’ve also promoted the same from the NCEL Prem, but I’ve promoted extra clubs from that division & the Nottinghamshire clubs would be placed in a different league! I’ve reprieved AFC Goole after the merger of the Ossett sides.
1) AFC Goole
2) Brighouse Town
3) Consett
4) Cleethorpes Town
5) Dunston UTS
6) Handsworth Parramore
7) Marske United
8.) Morpeth Town
9) North Shields
10) Ossett United(*possible new name)
11) Pickering Town
12) Pontefract Collieries
13) Sheffield
14) Shildon
15) Stocksbridge Park Steels
16) Stockton Town
17) Sunderland RCA
18) Tadcaster Albion
19) West Auckland Town
20) Whitley Bay

I’ve heard that the F.A. actually approached the EBAC NL asking them to consider a step 4 league. The EBAC NL’s proposal was rejected by the F.A.! That’s because Tadcaster Albion & Pickering Town are the only North Yorkshire clubs. The EBAC NL have got to get realistic & if you look at the list above. Most Yorkshire teams are from in & around West Yorkshire(Leeds area). The only isolated team on the list are Cleethorpes Town! They are just south of the Humber Bridge & the M180 takes them directly towards the A1/M1.
What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am 

Windy1970 wrote:
I’ve done a little projection on a new NPL1E division. If the FA decided to mass promote the top half of the EBAC NL & then add the clubs already at step 4. In my projection I’ve promoted the top 2 teams on a ppg basis at step 4 up to step 3. I’ve also promoted the same from the NCEL Prem, but I’ve promoted extra clubs from that division & the Nottinghamshire clubs would be placed in a different league! I’ve reprieved AFC Goole after the merger of the Ossett sides.
1) AFC Goole
2) Brighouse Town
3) Consett
4) Cleethorpes Town
5) Dunston UTS
6) Handsworth Parramore
7) Marske United
8.) Morpeth Town
9) North Shields
10) Ossett United(*possible new name)
11) Pickering Town
12) Pontefract Collieries
13) Sheffield
14) Shildon
15) Stocksbridge Park Steels
16) Stockton Town
17) Sunderland RCA
18) Tadcaster Albion
19) West Auckland Town
20) Whitley Bay

I’ve heard that the F.A. actually approached the EBAC NL asking them to consider a step 4 league. The EBAC NL’s proposal was rejected by the F.A.! That’s because Tadcaster Albion & Pickering Town are the only North Yorkshire clubs. The EBAC NL have got to get realistic & if you look at the list above. Most Yorkshire teams are from in & around West Yorkshire(Leeds area). The only isolated team on the list are Cleethorpes Town! They are just south of the Humber Bridge & the M180 takes them directly towards the A1/M1.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks for this Windy, its really interesting and is more realistic for a step 4 league in this region . Travel wise it places my Club Northallerton slap bang in the middle, however I doubt we would be in this league (if it happened) anytime soon. I guess this doesn't get around the ground grading issue, and the fact some Clubs may have to spend on their grounds ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next