It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern League Restructure Proposal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:23 pm 

allets2010 wrote:
Wack wrote:
I can substantiate them all Wacky, but people like you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, some of these journeys can take 3 hours, that’s a 9 hour shift, we geographically displaced, adkNorthwich 1966 whoever, just keep reading the red tops, You can tell that’s your pedigree

My cloud cuckoo land observation is thus...if you don't want a 9 hour shift, don't get promoted. My team have been incredibly successful at avoiding a Northern League top spot since 1982 although we did have a 9 hour outing to Telford in 1993. Twas full of "Southerners" :D

I don't understand this either, so what do you do each season?, actually plan not to do well?, if we are doing two teams up per season eventually it will be your turn to be top of the pile will you not mind then?

It may not eventually be their turn as they may have a wage structure which won’t really see them competing at the top end of the 1st division. If we do have a scenario f 2 up every season, I would be pretty surprised if within a number of years there wasn’t teams relegated back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:42 am 

I must stress I agree with The Pyramid, what the NL is asking for the promotion to be to a League at Step 4 which accommodates Northern Clubs like the Southern end enjoy, it’s here where the FA are not playing ball, even Whitby to Morpeth would be almost 2 hours travel, that’s setting off at 4 midweek and getting back around midnight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 am 

[quote="KANYEKICWIBOTHFEET"]I must stress I agree with The Pyramid, what the NL is asking for the promotion to be to a League at Step 4 which accommodates Northern Clubs like the Southern end enjoy, it’s here where the FA are not playing ball, even Whitby to Morpeth would be almost 2 hours travel, that’s setting off at 4 midweek and getting back around midnight.[/quote

Not a reason for being against promotion though as it was the same distance to Morpeth when Whitby were in the northern League.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 am 

Why are Whitby being mentioned as a travelling distance? They are not in that division. They are currently another division above. So if Morpeth and Marske United are promoted they won't be travelling to face Whitby Town next season. Unless Whitby Town are relegated of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am 

the little fella wrote:
Why are Whitby being mentioned as a travelling distance? They are not in that division. They are currently another division above. So if Morpeth and Marske United are promoted they won't be travelling to face Whitby Town next season. Unless Whitby Town are relegated of course.

I’d guess it’s an example of a club who have previously been in this division and have took promotion, afforded it, made it sustainable, not took them in to bankruptcy etc despite them being geographically challenged

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 pm 

Steve H wrote:
Travel is a huge issue, anyone who cannot see this is being unrealistic.

Is it though? Is it really? We work with several bus companies where I work, on a weekly basis. I would assume that any northern league team with the right resources would strike a deal with a local bus company for a mid size bus. That bus company gets an almost weekly booking for half the year, and the club gets a slightly reduced price. Say it is then a fixed price of £1000 per match, which is quite realistic, then that equates to about £500 a week, arguably the same price as perhaps 2 or 3 players at this level.

Surely northern league teams must simply consolidate their squads?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 pm 

OhMightyOne wrote:
Steve H wrote:

Is it though? Is it really? We work with several bus companies where I work, on a weekly basis. I would assume that any northern league team with the right resources would strike a deal with a local bus company for a mid size bus. That bus company gets an almost weekly booking for half the year, and the club gets a slightly reduced price. Say it is then a fixed price of £1000 per match, which is quite realistic, then that equates to about £500 a week, arguably the same price as perhaps 2 or 3 players at this level.

A bus Company would do it for £500 max . I’ve booked supporters busses for nearly 30 years and they are always good value, and VAT free

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:58 pm 

Back to the issue of buses.. Promotion is a whole lot more than that... Take a look at each levels ground grading entails. I was
surprised at what i read. Some grounds would be impossible to bring up to standard higher up the leagues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm 

OhMightyOne wrote:
Steve H wrote:

That’s ok then, as long as you’ve got no school teachers, shift workers or people with 9-5 jobs in your, squad or committee you’ll be fine for the 2.30 meet for Colwyn Bay away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:31 pm 

OhMightyOne wrote:
Steve H wrote:

It is not only money, it is the time it takes to play an away game, in particular in midweek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 pm 

Steve H wrote:
OhMightyOne wrote:
Steve H wrote:

It is not only money, it is the time it takes to play an away game, in particular in midweek

Isn’t that the reason why the FA are reducing league sizes?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:48 am 

The proposal is nothing more than an attempt to match the relegation/promotion situation across the board in football and something the northeast top league needs to adapt to. As a player who has played in both divisions of the NL for over 10 years I believe the option to be promoted should be taken away! If a team is good enough to win the 1st Division NL they don't only have a budget to match the league above but also have enough talent to probably push for promotion. However I feel that the promotion from the NL is alot easier than for a club trying to get promotion from one of the feeder league's into the thr NL. Hopefully this is a situation that maybe addressed with the new regulations!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:10 pm 

The North East's top non league divisions all do commit to automatic promotion and have done for several decades i.e. National league, National league North, NPL Prem and NPL North.
The Northern League is far from being the top north east league by a very long way. I suspect the Northern league committee don't see it that way and that is the nub of the issue.
The Northern league is running scared which is why they proposed another league run by them that in fact would just move the problem up one step and wouldn't solve anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:17 pm 

Spot on Handifan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 pm 

Spenny are an interesting case study. Our squad in the ENL was huge, 25 or more at times, because that was the squad size needed to compete in every competition at that level. 2012/13 we played 75 games.
Now we see the entire squad every match day in the 11 on the pitch plus 5 subs. Injuries are covered by some very capable young lads at U18 sitting on the bench who also play in the DCC.
Yes, we do spend more on the squad now but we did make savings. We also charge £12 and get double the crowds that we did in the ENL. There are also many more ways to increase match revenue with catering, bars, platinum club, clubhouse, Night on the Town, golf days etc.. We have won more prize money from cup competitions than we ever could in the ENL.
This hasn't happened because our owner has money. It is good management and hard work by volunteers. We may one day need to survive without Mr Groves at the helm but I fear the loss of his drive, business acumen and ambition far more than I fear the loss of his money.

Those fans who don't go to watch ENL all know that it is a very low level of football. £5-£6 gate fee doesn't make it attractive, it just confirms what is on offer. They will happily pay double and more to watch a higher level of football. There are no league clubs in this area outside the big 3 and they are struggling to excite fans tbh. There is a thriving non-league scene in the North East outside the ENL. To all the clubs who have the potential, don't let the league hold you back. I'd say go for it, be a part of it and take part. Forget about the status of the ENL which is just a stepping stone in the pyramid. Be the best you can be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next