It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Durham City AFC - Recent Form
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:16 pm 

Olly Hotchkiss and his young Durham team are playing some great football and getting decent results against some good teams despite being Durham being on a zero budget.

Money can't buy you love or results - but a very talented young Manager, a strong team togetherness and some young lads who are friends and all love the football club show just what you can achieve with good coaching, raw talent and ambition.

Last seven games saw them draw 1-1 vs a full strength Shildon team in the Durham Challenge Cup, win away 2-0 at Tow Law and 3-1 at Northallerton (Positioned 1 & 2 in the NL2), a home win versus Thornaby and two 1-0 away wins at Bedlington.

Inevitably they have been inundated recently with scouts from both professional and non-league teams but if you are free on Tuesday night and want to see some great passing football get yourself along to Willington AFC ground as Durham play Thornaby in the E Armstrong Memorial Cup 2nd Round.

Post subject: Re: Durham City AFC - Recent Form
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 pm 

Appears Olly Hotchkiss is doing a very capable job as manager of Durham City. Do you think Olly is a top manager in the making?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 am 

every credit to the young manager and his young charges and also a dedicated board for keeping the club afloat in difficult circumstances....also a special mention to richard and the willington lads,who have gone out their way to help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 am 

Yet another fine win yesterday for Olly Hotchkiss and his team against a strong Hebburn Town team now taking 15 out of the last 18 league points. It should also be noted that the Willington chaps did another fine job with the pitch making it playable when many other local games were called off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:42 pm 

Any sign of a new ground. I think news was promised a few months ago but nothing yet. I personally don't think Durham should be allowed another season of ground share without declaring any plans to have/build a new ground. Clubs are not allowed to gain a promotion using a ground share even with plans in hand to update or build a ground so why is a club allowed to retain its league status without having any declared plans whatsoever to build a new ground. Just my personal thoughts and nothing to do with the club I support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
Any sign of a new ground. I think news was promised a few months ago but nothing yet. I personally don't think Durham should be allowed another season of ground share without declaring any plans to have/build a new ground. Clubs are not allowed to gain a promotion using a ground share even with plans in hand to update or build a ground so why is a club allowed to retain its league status without having any declared plans whatsoever to build a new ground. Just my personal thoughts and nothing to do with the club I support

Think there was a press release not long ago, stating no suitable place had been found yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm 

Cestrian wrote:

Seems a bit harsh. Plenty of clubs at higher levels are involved in long-term ground shares (Kingstonian / AFC Wimbledon, Romulus / Sutton Coldfield both spring to mind, Chelmsford City were at Billericay for years with no clear path to a new ground, and our Bishop Auckland spent several seasons on the road while the Tindale Crescent development took forever to come to fruition) and, AFAIK, there is / was no pressure from their leagues or the FA to move them to their own individual grounds.

It might not be sustainable for Durham to carry on groundsharing indefinitely - it isn't doing much for their attendances and I'm sure it costs them money through rent paid to Willington and loss of bar / catering takings - but I don't see that the league should be pushing clubs under the bus when they already have problems.

[Full disclosure, I live in Durham and have an affection for the club, but I'd say the same about anyone. Except maybe Chelsea]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 am 

durham citys appeal for contributions for players expenses through twitter/pay pal seems to have come to a halt after 3 contributions,maybe the fans will tip up when they see that the owner mr bernard digs deep.as far as the ground is conserned the club are in talks with the council and keepmoat builders over some land adjoing the motorway @belmont known as mullards fields.ps durham never got a penny from bar takings or catering at their old ground,soccerena got that.all that wealth from the purchasing of the 22 acre old civil service ground,which is now fully built on,SHOULD of been the football clubs.city were used.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 am 

local lad wrote:
ps durham never got a penny from bar takings or catering at their old ground,soccerena got that.all that wealth from the purchasing of the 22 acre old civil service ground,which is now fully built on,SHOULD of been the football clubs.city were used.
12 years ago, I was castigated for forecasting that state of affairs. I feel no better for having been proved right.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:32 am 

local lad wrote:
durham citys appeal for contributions for players expenses through twitter/pay pal seems to have come to a halt after 3 contributions,maybe the fans will tip up when they see that the owner mr bernard digs deep.as far as the ground is conserned the club are in talks with the council and keepmoat builders over some land adjoing the motorway @belmont known as mullards fields.ps durham never got a penny from bar takings or catering at their old ground,soccerena got that.all that wealth from the purchasing of the 22 acre old civil service ground,which is now fully built on,SHOULD of been the football clubs.city were used.

I get running an appeal for a new ground or floodlights etc, but to fund players expenses....surely that would only be a sticking plaster exercise at best. Anyway Durham are preforming well as it is

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am 

Groundsharing to aid promotion? Sorry to thread hijack but I'm curious, can a team never be promoted while groundsharing now? Surely FC United went up a few times while at Bury's Gigg Lane, how does the rule work?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 am 

you were prooved right Keith....thats why you didnt go down well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm 

I think the rule is that if the ground share is already in place for a length if time then it is ok but a club cannot arrange a ground share to get promoted even if they are building a new ground. At least now teams have a bit of I me to bring their grounds up to ENL standard with regard to floodlights and covered accommodation but I still think that any club who have to ground share during the season etc as Durham have had to should be given a finite time of maybe a season to at least produce plans for their own ground. Indefinite ground shares in my humble opinion should not be allowed and maybe teams have to drop down a league to come back stronger. As I say just my opinion. Teams have been relegated because THEIR ground was not up to standard when their could be teams who haven't even got their own ground remain in the division(s)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 pm 

goose wrote:
Groundsharing to aid promotion? Sorry to thread hijack but I'm curious, can a team never be promoted while groundsharing now? Surely FC United went up a few times while at Bury's Gigg Lane, how does the rule work?
believe F.C.U.M. shared a few grounds for about 10years before getting their new ground about 2 year ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:52 am 

this is the 2nd time durham have put out an appeal....i subscribed to the 1st one which came to an early closure...the club didnt inform anyone the final total....ime afraid durham fans are not as generous as the Darlington fc fans.