It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Season so far
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 am 

With a quarter of the season over (or nearly for some Clubs) whats everyone's thoughts on surprises this season. No surprise with the top 6 in Div one, but didn't think Penrith would struggle. In Div 2, Hebburn have been the best team we have played, and Heaton Stannington will challenge , however when was the last time that 2 relegated teams were in the bottom 3 at this stage of the season.

Still a long way to go

Post subject: Re: Season so far
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 am 

Wack wrote:
With a quarter of the season over (or nearly for some Clubs) whats everyone's thoughts on surprises this season. No surprise with the top 6 in Div one, but didn't think Penrith would struggle. In Div 2, Hebburn have been the best team we have played, and Heaton Stannington will challenge , however when was the last time that 2 relegated teams were in the bottom 3 at this stage of the season.

Still a long way to go

I have been very surprised with Blyth. Heard a lot pre season about how they felt they could win the league but don't seem anywhere near. Few quid getting thrown about also so need to try and have a push from now to get where they want to be. Still a long time to go though and players they have, it can be very easily turned around!

Last edited by footyfan1 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:41 am 

From a Whitley point of view it's been a very stop-start start to the season with a lot of injuries to key players (both CB's, RB, striker) and being on holiday (both CM's at the same time!) meaning we have only had our full-strength XI out once or twice so far. It's been frustrating that we've dropped points I'm confident we wouldn't have at full strength, but we've got just about everyone back now and 7 out of our next 10 league games are at Hillheads so hopefully rise up the league table a bit as we catch up on games in hand.

Looking around the table I was very surprised to see Stockton go so long without picking up a point as they're a very good side, but results have turned and they're on the up now. Don't know too much about the situation over at Bishops but also surprised to see them struggling with the talk about pushing for promotion in the Summer. Dunston and Seaham Red Star have had very good starts in the league keeping up with the usual names near the top of the table.

I don't watch a lot of NL2, but good to see ESH Winning are well clear of the relegation zone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:19 pm 

Congratulations to the players and backroom staff of Whickham FC on a great start to the season; a handy league position and wins in the Vase and Challenge Cup. No money, just honest endeavour and a love of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 am 

Just beat me to it Raffleman. Full credit to all at the club and you know you'll be told having money doesn't make any difference :roll: to work woth a genuone set of lads there because they want to be is rewarding

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:17 am 

ressly pest wrote:
Just beat me to it Raffleman. Full credit to all at the club and you know you'll be told having money doesn't make any difference :roll: to work woth a genuone set of lads there because they want to be is rewarding

Not even an end of season bonus then ? :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:49 am 

raffleman wrote:
Congratulations to the players and backroom staff of Whickham FC on a great start to the season; a handy league position and wins in the Vase and Challenge Cup. No money, just honest endeavour and a love of the game.

Nothing at the end of the season per win then???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:01 pm 

You know how it works mate, its not changed for 15 years.

Nobodies guaranteed a penny and the point was the manager has to work with the young squad he has as he cant offer players money to bring them in.

Doing a canny job aswell.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:57 pm 

ressly pest wrote:
You know how it works mate, its not changed for 15 years.

Nobodies guaranteed a penny and the point was the manager has to work with the young squad he has as he cant offer players money to bring them in.

Doing a canny job aswell.

Doing a very good job but there has to be guarantees of £ to keep the lads happy, and to keep them at the club. Well done to whickham though so far!!!