It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: FA Cup 3rd Qual Round Draw
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm 

Noeldinho wrote:
Gijane wrote:
I beg to differ if any N/L2 team would average more than 288 and maybe only 2 or 3 N/L1 would exceed 288
also its at least £12 admission into National League North Grounds, N/L teams average would be down at least 60% if they had to pay £12 admission.

The attendances would go up as the club progressed through the leagues you'd hope. Even at 12 quid a time I can't see how NFU can survive on average attendances of 288 and still make a profit.

Context is everything. It's a village team from a place with a population of only 3,800. They averaged 450+ two seasons ago and 650+ last season. Most of their fan base is made up of disillusioned Hull fans; in the circumstances, and given the fact they're now dropping back through the leagues, 288 isn't that bad.

People on here point to Spennymoor and South Shields as proof that crowds can grow if teams take promotion, but there's no simple correlation between the two. There's hope and there's reality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:03 pm 

marinersteve wrote:
Very best wishes to both... Neither tie easy for differing reasons but certainly winnable on the right day. Kiddie could be quite out of their element of if Mr Brayson is on form they should be fearful.

The last time York came to Shields they won 6-0 (16 November 1968), which was a depressing day as we were having a fairly good season in the NPL.. Three years earlier we had beaten them 3-1 while in the North Regional so that is more the precedent we need to follow.

I'm impressed by marinersteve's knowledge of the history of the South Shields club.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm 

I'm currently researching the North Regional League, so if you can help me with some dates and results marinersteve I'd love to hear from you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Have you seen the books "Rejected FC ", one volume of which gives the very much linked histories of South Shields and Gateshead ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 pm 

I do indeed have a copy of that book sitting proudly in my 'reference library'. As you may have guessed I'm a bit of a statto, currently trying to get the date and result of every game for every team in the lifespan of the North Regional League. I estimate I'm about 95% complete.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:03 pm 

Glad to help where I can though most of my stuff is packed away while we are working in USA. I can always forward any queries to the club official historian Bob Wray. Been a fan of SSFC all my life taken to my first match at age 6 months in 1954. My parents were on the Supporters Club committee (and my mam ran the tea van) and all the family were active in the building of Simonside hall ground, My grandparents were committee members way back to Div 2 days. Somewhere a few years ago I posted some archival photos.

Apologies Ally I know this is not Northern League. Heedboy PM me and bear with me if I am slow replying - life a bit upside down just now././