It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 am 

President_Obama wrote:
If there are teams wanting to go up (bishops/shildon) let them go, the main employer in our area is nissan and they are shift workers, which means every other week you can struggle for a side which means you’d have to sign more players or the lads have to get nights off to travel to leeds/manchester etc on a tuesday night, we also have a couple of teachers playing for us and they rarely get away from work before 5 so they couldn’t do the trips and neither could your usual 9-5s it’s bad enough getting ashington/morpeth etc away on a tuesday night without a leeds, manchester team it’s crackers, fair enough if they want to go but it shouldn’t be imposed.

Phil Turnbull is a teacher and it doesn’t get in the way of him playing for Darlington in National League North. What’s the next excuse going to be? Allergy to anything south of Scotch Corner?

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 am 

england wrote:
Just listening to ken beatties comments regarding promotion. Used to have a lot of respect for him, but he’s showed his true colours.

Concentrate on the case and will challenge the FA on promotion due to finances, absolutely laughable. No wonder the FA have decided to go down the automatic promotion route.

Totally agree. Where have you heard this England ?

Surely if Morpeth don't want promotion (or the bloke that effectively owns it seemingly doesn't) then they should avoid finishing in the top 2. My Club has avoided this scenario since 1982 when we joined the league. I can assure you, its not difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

After reading Mike Amos's blog from earlier this week. He obviously disagrees with the FA's restructuring. But said that any challenge to the automatic promotion would be futile. So Ken Beattie would be wasting his time if he tried to appeal. The guy at the FA behind the restructuring is a lawyer, nuff said.....
I hope Morpeth get knocked out of the FA Vase & have a really successful season throwing the league!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:30 pm 

Wack wrote:
england wrote:
Just listening to ken beatties comments regarding promotion. Used to have a lot of respect for him, but he’s showed his true colours.

Concentrate on the case and will challenge the FA on promotion due to finances, absolutely laughable. No wonder the FA have decided to go down the automatic promotion route.

Totally agree. Where have you heard this England ?

Surely if Morpeth don't want promotion (or the bloke that effectively owns it seemingly doesn't) then they should avoid finishing in the top 2. My Club has avoided this scenario since 1982 when we joined the league. I can assure you, its not difficult.

Non league podcast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 pm 

I've not read Ken Beattie Comments on Automatic Promotion, although Nick Gray was clear enough on the Radio they will get on with it and will be aiming to win the league, but the rules are set and all the clubs involved will have to get on with it, in saying that it doesn't say they have to actually agree with it though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 pm 

ressly pest wrote:
I've not read Ken Beattie Comments on Automatic Promotion, although Nick Gray was clear enough on the Radio they will get on with it and will be aiming to win the league, but the rules are set and all the clubs involved will have to get on with it, in saying that it doesn't say they have to actually agree with it though.

Was a radio interview.

He was suggesting they may even challenge the FA on automatic promotion. But the biggest joke was that he mentioned finances as being the reason!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 pm 

Midweek aways at the Evostik level are a pain, however they are not a weekly occurrence. You often have to travel with an understrength team due to work commitments and usually have a few lads on forms to make up the bench. Any point gained is a bonus. The flipside is you have just as many midweek home games, where the opposition have those problems and will be much easier to beat so it balances out. The reduction in league sizes will also alleviate this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 pm 

matt wrote:
Midweek aways at the Evostik level are a pain, however they are not a weekly occurrence. You often have to travel with an understrength team due to work commitments and usually have a few lads on forms to make up the bench. Any point gained is a bonus. The flipside is you have just as many midweek home games, where the opposition have those problems and will be much easier to beat so it balances out. The reduction in league sizes will also alleviate this problem.

Also teams will be in tougher cup competitions & are more likely going to get knocked out in the earlier rounds. So less league games won't cancelled & moved to week days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm 

All of the points are valid, it is and should be tougher, that’s the whole point of competition

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am 

Morpeth have put together an excellent squad and just signed two more players, are these the financial challenges the Chairman is taking to the FA?

I just don't see the argument, you don't get that many mid week games and as the years go by and more Northern teams are promoted it will make it easier.

I am sure it's more of a challenge on and off the pitch moving upwards and if they just want to stay where they are because it's easy then fine but not sure that will cut it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 am 

super_les wrote:
Morpeth have put together an excellent squad and just signed two more players
One of which is a former Republic of Ireland international :shock:

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 am 

super_les wrote:
I just don't see the argument, you don't get that many mid week games and as the years go by and more Northern teams are promoted it will make it easier

In truth, it's a bit of a double-edged sword as shorter distances are most likely picked for midweek games-you save on travel time but lose out on crowds- Blyth v York at the start of the season was a Tuesday night, for example.

There will of course be postponements, cup runs etc but that's football. It's not enough of a reason to eschew the other benefits further up.

FWIW, I still don't like the idea of compulsory promotion. It doesn't solve the problem of clubs wanting to move up being blocked by sides who dont but have big budgets. Instead you just end up with two teams not where they want to be. Highest applicant goes up would be much better. No matter how far down the division they are.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am 

Matt how can promoting clubs based on want be better than based on ability? How does it prepare a club for life at a higher level promoting them because they fancy it?

How wont it free up space at the top if the 2 best sides are promoted. Potentially 3 or 4 clubs gone in 2 years will of course free up space for all clubs to be looking at Promotion.

I still believe any club challenging this automatic promotion decision should be relegated as they clearly dont want to be in a league where promotion out the NL is possible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm 

matt wrote:
super_les wrote:
I just don't see the argument, you don't get that many mid week games and as the years go by and more Northern teams are promoted it will make it easier

In truth, it's a bit of a double-edged sword as shorter distances are most likely picked for midweek games-you save on travel time but lose out on crowds- Blyth v York at the start of the season was a Tuesday night, for example.

There will of course be postponements, cup runs etc but that's football. It's not enough of a reason to eschew the other benefits further up.

FWIW, I still don't like the idea of compulsory promotion. It doesn't solve the problem of clubs wanting to move up being blocked by sides who dont but have big budgets. Instead you just end up with two teams not where they want to be. Highest applicant goes up would be much better. No matter how far down the division they are.

Automatic promotion is the way forward for me, I know some won't agree with that and it's pointless really going over the arguments. Will make NE Non league football a lot better in the long run, however I can see the arguments against especially for the committee men who run some of the clubs and just don't want the travel and what goes with it.

However when the same clubs are in top 4 most years and trying to get a run in the Vase it's hard to say that the league wouldn't be better for the other clubs if those ones moved upwards and the other clubs progressed with some opportunities of success.

Time will tell if it works but I personally think it will.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 pm 

At least Morpeth can concentrate on promotion nw....oh wait a minute...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next