All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hebburn Town v Marske United - Sat 3rd Nov
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 am 

Hebburn Town v Marske United
Ebac Northern League Division 1
Saturday 3rd November, 3pm

Match Preview Here: http://www.hebburntownfc.co.uk/2012/11/02/marske-united-preview/

Post subject: Re: Hebburn Town v Marske United - Sat 3rd Nov
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:39 am 

I think I'd have to say that was the most entertaining game I've watched this season with the balance swinging both ways on several occasions. To lose the game was tough on us, and if we'd buried the 2 good chances when we were 3-2 it would have been game over. But Hebburn aren't 4th in the table for nothing, and are clearly a very quick and skillful team.

There will be calls to stick Gilly up front after his 2 goals, and if we have the wide cover then it might be worth trying out. DO never stopped running up front as usual and took his goal superbly - excellent through ball and well left by Yaley. Some good battling performances, and I'd say my MOM would be between Wheats and Gilly - although Yaley and Tommy did a lot of hard work in the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:50 pm 

Very entertaining game and if im honest it felt like we robbed 3 points.

Impressed with all at Marske and first time I've met the management team and I can say what a decent bunch of blokes. Very magnanimous in defeat.

Good luck for the season

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:02 pm 

Cheers Sholar but you didn't rob us of the points mate you won them because, unlike us, your team took the chances when they came along.
It was definitely a great game to watch if you were a neutral but as a Marske fan I'm disappointed at the result but not the performance.
and we can't really complain because we did the same to Durham last week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:33 pm 

I agree, great game goals etc but as a match poor from both teams.

Great to see decent people running a decent club

See you at your place next year

Benno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 pm 

If I'm honest, this was an unbelievable game which was a fantastic advert for Northern league football (though the defending left a lot to be desired at times). Hebburn started off superbly and could have been 2 or 3 up before we got into the game, with the 2 wingers in particular giving Lewis and Burto a lot of problems. However, we got back into the game with 2 Gilly headers, the second of which the keeper should have saved though in his defence he lost his footing and a defender got in the way! At 2-1 at HT, the next goal was always going to be important and Hebburn got it shortly after the break. Marske came straight back at the home side and DO scored with a great finish following a sublime dummy from Yaley. The game then got ridiculous as Hebburn chased an equaliser. We had 2 shots cleared off the line, a goal (rightly) disallowed for offside and two 1 on 1's where players went round the keeper but then couldn't get shots away. Typically, Hebburn then went up the other end and equalised after a mis-kick from Wheats (who was excellent throughout, that mistake excepted). Hebburn then grabbed a winner with 2 minutes left through a tremendous finish from Stephenson to give them a win that was extremely harsh on Marske (though as PP correctly says, we didn't take out chances so arguably didn't deserve to win).

Overall, I thought this was an excellent performance, the first 20 minutes and last 10 minutes excepted. Yaley and Tom were outstanding in the centre of midfield and DO ran his socks off in the lone striker role.

Things don't get any easier for Ted and the boys though with a cup game at Bishop Auckland on Wednesday followed by a home game against Spennymoor next Saturday which should be a cracker and will surely see our highest crowd of the season so far.

We are definitely moving in the right direction under Ted and if we perform like that for the rest of the season the points will come.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm 

Can't disagree with anything that's been said here. A definite game of the season contender and arguably our best performance of the season so far.

We did very well to recover after a poor first 20 minutes that could've seen us 2 or 3 down but once we got the equaliser against the run of play, the confidence visibly grew and we looked the likely winners until the last 10 minutes. We should've killed the game off at 3-2 but just couldn't find that 4th goal and credit to Hebburn, they kept on going right to the end and made us pay, just as we did with Durham last week.

This is the third game in a row where the end result hasn't matched the performance but there's been a noticeable improvement overall in the last month. We have a very winnable series of games coming up in a few weeks so it would be great to get some more points on the board before then and hopefully something to shout about in one or both of the cups.