It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Marske 2 Celtic Nation 1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am 

Well what can I say about this game ? As a Marske fan all I ever want to see from my team is 100% commitment to the cause regardless of the outcome of the game although obviously you hope to see your team win. Considering all the recent upheaval in the club I was wondering what saturday would bring but full credit goes to all concerned because this was a really good performance where every single player in a Marske shirt ran their 'puddings out' against a decent Celtic Nation side. We took the lead with a great finish from Bimbo from the edge of the box after being set up by fans favourite Chris Mcgill who, thankfully, was back in the team after being strangely left out on Wednesday night. There were chances at both ends but it remained 1 - 0 at half time. The second half saw the visitors start strongly and twice hit the woodwork but our lads continued to work their socks off and the back four were magnificent as Tommy,Leon, Wheats and Burto threw themselves into tackles, detrmined to keep a clean sheet. After weathering the storm we started to play again with Orms, Keo,Charlo and Gilly taking more control of the midfield. Then a superb passing move ended with Keo hitting a screamer from outside the box which looked like going into the bottom corner but somehow their keeper made a fantastic save only to spill the ball and DO was on it in a flash to force the ball over the line to make it 2 - 0. It was noticeable that every Marske player, barring the keeper, joined in the celebrations for that goal, in their six yard box, which showed the togetherness of the squad and again , as a supporter, that was great to see. However the game wasn't over and the visitors got on top and pulled a goal back with a header from a corner with only three minutes left on the clock. Those minutes felt more like ten but we managed to hang on and take all three points. This was agreat start for the new manager who only met the players an hour before kick off but whatever he had to say to them obviously worked because the contrast between wednesday nights performance gainst Synners and this game couldn't have been be more opposite. Well done to everyone oh and it was nice to see Bruno back in the fold especially when he left three opponents in a heap and still managed to win the free kick near the end when we were hanging on. We've got five really tough games coming up and it would be nice to see a few more points on the board from those games so no pressure then Ted.

Post subject: Re: Marske 2 Celtic Nation 1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:31 pm 

Good report. The only three things I would add are:
1. Celtic Nation had the majority of the play in the first 30 minutes with the dangerous right back and right wing slinging in dangerous crosses. Marske scored a well taken goal more or less against the run of play.
2. We only had 3 subs on the bench with Edwards senior being one of them. Several players with knocks not available. We haven't had a goalkeeper sub all season although many teams run this way. Can't afford to lose any players at the moment and would hope we hold on to Bruno.
3. I think Scott Allison had his best game of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 pm 

Bench was short due to injuries and players been away, remember we can't afford the squad size the likes of Spennymoor have.

I'll echo Piper's comments, every player in a yellow shirt put a shift in, Celtic Nation ran out of ideas in the 2nd half which is down to the way the defence and midfield defended. Went away from the game feeling really proud of the 3 points we earned.

It's still early days with the new management team but performances like yesterday's every week will see us right for the season. A tough run of games began yesterday and if they keep putting the work in I believe we are more than capable of taking points from those games.

Hopefully the attendance will be higher than the lowest gate of the season so far at 107 people but the gate suffered today with Stokesley Show, Middlesbrough and Marske United at home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:48 pm 

Can't really add anything to the above, that was like night and day compared to the Billingham Synthonia game on Wednesday. Only negative was being one number out on the meat draw, I was inconsolable...

Excellent performance and here's to many more.

:P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:44 pm 

Great report PP though I do agree with SBY that we were very lucky to go into the break 1 up as I thought they were the better side by quite a way. Whatever Ted said at half time clearly worked as we came out a different side (save for CN hitting the bar twice in the first few minutes of the half). I thought Keo had an excellent second half when he seemed to play slightly more advanced than he did in the first half and it was his superb shot that set up Onions for the decisive second goal. The whole of the team deserve a stack of credit and like PP I really enjoyed the fact that the whole team celebrated the second goal together.

I had to leave straight after the game so not sure who Richie picked as MOM but (unlike Wednesday) he would have had a real task on his hands. My vote would probably go to Wheats though Scott made a couple of fantastic saves, including one in the first few minutes and Burto had one of his best games for us. Was also great to see Bruno back and he helped immensely to hold the ball up in the last 5 minutes when we were holding on for the win.

Let's hope we have a few players back on Tuesday for what is sure to be a real tough game (not sure how long Yale and Curtis will be out injured) as we could do with a bit more strength in depth on the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 pm 

Agree with the comments NGTW. Young Jon Burton got MOM which I think he deserved, although Wheats was a close second. Great commitment and the 2nd half performance bodes well for going forward. Tough run coming up but if we can gather points here and there then it'll put is in good stead for playing some of the teams around us.