Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Marske United v Consett - Saturday 22nd September
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm 

Marske United v Consett
Saturday 22nd September, 3pm
Ebac Northern League Division 1

Match Preview Here: http://www.marskeunitedfc.com/match-preview.htm

Followed by an Evening with Neil Ruddock.
Marske Workingmen's Club. 7pm.

Post subject: Re: Marske United v Consett - Saturday 22nd September
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 pm 

Finished Marske 1 Consett 2 so I didn't get the 7 points from 4 games that I was hoping for!! It looks like we are fast becoming a Jeckyll and Hyde side and followed Wednesday's excellent performance with a very poor one yersterday. For the first time this season (I think) we named an unchanged side with Gilly continuing on the right hand side of midfield with DO and Magowan up front. In the first half we barely created a decent chance other than when DO played Magowan in but he completely scuffed his shot. The only real save I can remember their keeper making was from a 25 yard half volley from Gilly which he easily saved. For Consett, Mackay was a real handful and his movement in between the full backs and centre backs was excellent throughout the game and the Marske back 4 really struggled with this. Scott will feel that he should have done better with their first goal but could do nothing about the second which was a great finish.

The first half of the second half was even worse if I'm honest and I'm pretty sure that we didn't get into the Consett boxand create a proper chance until the 27th minute of the half when Gilly's header was easily saved. DO created a chance for himself that he put just wide and the then with 10 minutes left Gilly scored with a looping header following good play by Burto (who did really well when he came on) and Wheatley who provided the cross. 3 minutes later and we could have been level (which we wouldn't have deserved) when DO showed great skill but his shot was well saved. Gilly then shot into the side netting and it looked like the last 5 minutes would be constant Marske pressure. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be and in fact Consett had the chances to make it 3-1, including a shot from Mackay that was superbly saved by Allison.

Overall, this was a disappointing performance where we got what we deserved. I chose Gilly as MOTM as he put a real shift in on the right. Up next are two real tough away games away to Bedlington and RCA - things aren't going our way at the moment but as fans we have to stick with Craig and the team and hope we can perform much better in the upcoming games than we did yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:58 pm 

Spot on NGTW. We got what we deserved from the performance which unfortunately was no points, and to be fair to the players that I spoke to at the dinner later on they all said the same. Yes we need to stick with Craig and give him our support - I'm sure he is more affected than we are about the up and down form. It'll come.

I'll say what several of the fans I stand with are saying, and I do too.... Tommy Marron is one of our best players...but not at centre back. Wheats into the middle, Burto (who has always done a job when he's come on) at left back, and Tommy into the middle for some bite and distribution. To me that plays to those lad's strengths - but I always played rugby so I'm no expert! My opinion, and happy to stand up and be counted (look....no nickname lol!)

Two really hard away games this week and 1 or 2 points will be a decent outcome. Early days so let's keep turning up and being positive. Some real effort coming in from the lads and Gilly (who I know has striking pedigree) has really impressed in midfield so if that's where he is to be then well done son - keep it up.

And on a separate note - cracking night on Saturday. Massive thanks to Peter and all involved in organising it. Personally I can't see where Pete gets his energy from with all he has going on, so loads of respect to him, and keep supporting the lad - he deserves it in bucket loads. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm 

Fair reports. Agree with playing Marron in front of back four. Still think we could use some wide players to get behind defence and provide service for strikers. Both posts say we should get behind Craig but without saying why. Is the team performance improving? More chances created? Team balance? Fitness? What is it? What we do know it's not Cup, Vase and results at Stokesley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 pm 

southbankyank wrote:
Fair reports. Agree with playing Marron in front of back four. Still think we could use some wide players to get behind defence and provide service for strikers. Both posts say we should get behind Craig but without saying why. Is the team performance improving? More chances created? Team balance? Fitness? What is it? What we do know it's not Cup, Vase and results at Stokesley.

Because Craig was the person chosen by the Chairman and Committee as the manager and it goes without saying that as a supporter of the club we need to support the manager and players. To do otherwise would be self-defeating and would do absolutely nothing to help the club to turn around their results and start to move up the table.

I, too, agree that Tommy might be better served in centre midfield with Wheats in the middle of defence. This would, of course, leave a tough decision who to play at left back, unless we can get someone new in to play there. I also agree SBY that we are still missing a wide player, which isn't to say that Gilly hasn't done an excellent job there in the last few games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 pm 

Craig and all of his management team know the score and are constantly working hard on trying to improve the squad. The hardest thing in football at any club is to keep the players happy who aren't currently in the starting eleven, and so has proved with the recent departure of several players.
But yet small, we have a very capable squad currently at the club and now need them to pull together and start getting it right on the pitch.
Some players (on paper) are currently underachieving, but hopefully they will all come good and we will soon start to see some improved individual performances as well as team results.
Tonight we signed what we hope to be another very good signing (more info tomorrow when I have time), and as I said Craig and co are constantly working hard on trying to improve things.
Improvements are gradually being made and so as fans we need to give the management a bit more time.
This is the strongest league at this level in the entire country, with some ridiculous amounts of money being thrown about at many clubs, so for a village the size of Marske-by-the-Sea we must surely at times try and see things in perspective and realise just what a brilliant little club we are part of.
Give it time and we will get to where we want to be

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 am 

southbankyank wrote:

Why does what's happening at Stokesley matter?

Why support Craig? Because he's the new manager of the club you and I support that's why.
Does my comment sound defensive? Well yes it does because I (along with 99% of fans who follow Marske) back our team through the good times and the bad. Yes I agree the current squad is capable of much better and Craig and the players will be the first to tell us that but lets put things into perspective.

1) it's still only September and our first choice 11 has only played a couple of games together.

2) new ideas and new ways of playing are been implemented into the team and that is starting to bare fruit, some of the football we have played at times has been great to watch and it's now just a case of getting that form on a consistent basis.

Like Moss has already pointed out, we have to remember the facts. Let's as a group of fans, casuals and die hards alike get behind the squad and become the 12th man. It really does make a difference.

Hopefully the attendance will be higher than the lowest gate of the season so far at 107 people but the gate suffered today with Stokesley Show, Middlesbrough and Marske United at home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 am 

I must say as a player it's certainly refreshing and somewhat encouraging to hear positivity and backing from the committee and supporters.
No-one is more disappointed at our inconsistency than the players themselves, we know we as a team are capable of achieving better things and believe me we won't stop the hard work and dedication until we get there.
We are all behind Craig and co.100% and i can assure you they are doing their upmost off the pitch to give us the best chance on it, which once we cross the white-line is ultimately down to us, the squad of 16.
As a team, club, village etc. we have the best chance of improving and moving forward if we are all pulling in the same direction. I understand your frustrations but please bare with us as I'm confident we can turn the corner, no-one intends to make mistakes but at the same time it is important we learn from them.
We have a good squad with a mix of youth and experience, so with a little bit of time, a lot of hard graft and the supporters behind us I'm sure we can make this a competitive and successful season, in what Mossy has described as the hardest league at this level in the country.. Come on you Seasiders :D
Cheers Do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm 

I did say we should get behind Craig without saying why, so here is why. Every manager needs some time to get things how he wants them, and every fan respects and understands that. We've played 7 out of 46 league games and had players come and go. Once we have a settled squad and are 20 league games in then we will have a better idea. Besides, the Billy Town performance was an improvement on the previous ones...

If nothing else, and maybe this makes me sound a bit of a fanny, but Craig has been a great servant to the club in the past, puts his efforts in for free, and is a nice bloke who will gladly sit down and talk to you after the game. As a fan, you can't ask for much more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:27 am 

I must agree with you Steve.-------------------------- It does make you sound like a fanny but having said that, don't be offended mate as I like fannies !!!!!!

Seriously though, we do need to improve and I know that Craig is aware of that too. I'm sure that he is in the process of addressing that and as such he needs ALL our support.