PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 pm 

Marske United v Morpeth Town
Saturday 1st September 2012, 3pm
FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Match Preview Here:
http://www.marskeunitedfc.com/match-preview.htm

Post subject: Re: Marske United v Morpeth Town - Sat 1st Sept - FA Vase
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm 

Another new signing could be on show at Saturday's game.

Details here:
http://www.marskeunitedfc.com/news.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:42 pm 

Getting some width: I thought Danny Lambert did a good job having come on in the second half and new to the team. It finally looks like we may have some width with two wingers although Porritt was a no show and perhaps has left already (never looked happy to me). Millington isn't up to the job in my opinion, wasting at least 3 corners but more importantly just doesn't read the game well enough. How he keeps Derek Bradley on the bench defeats me. Hopefully Charlo will be available soon and am still hoping he will play wide and come in off the left wing when appropriate.
Do we have a back-up goalie? Where is Willey?
The game against Morpeth should have been won in the first 20 minutes. But too many wasted chances. Basic skills are still lacking: why do we always take long throw-ins which turn to the opposition. Throw to feet and return to the thrower. Hunter's throw in led directly to the Morpeth first goal. Too many times we hoof it up the field and miss the opportunity to pass to our mid-field. With that wind today, long balls up the field were just wasted and handed straight to Morpeth.
This seasons start is much better than last season and holds much promise but we must continue to improve skills.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

Mixed feelings about today's game. We should've had it sewn up by half-time after creating a hatful of chances but at least we live to fight another day after the last gasp equaliser.

After last week's disappointment, the lads looked well up for it today and had four great chances in the first 15 minutes, with Do, Gilly, Bruno and Millington all going close.

Morpeth weathered the early storm and almost took the lead themselves midway through the half, when a free kick was whipped in and met with a diving header that rattled the post.

Marske responded with another good spell of pressure and after a succession of corners, finally took the lead on 41 minutes with a trademark bullet header from Carling. (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxs-OUYRS2Y)

We didn't really get out of the blocks in the second half and Morpeth equalised on 55 minutes.

Danny Lambert's introduction gave us a new lease of life and he looked very lively on the right wing, delivering some dangerous-looking balls. But despite threatening in the last 15 minutes, we couldn't find a winner and the game went to extra-time (although it appeared no-one had told Anth, who was walking around shaking hands with the Morpeth players!).

Just like in the second half, we didn't really get going at the start of extra time and were probably slightly fortunate to reach the end of the first period still level.

Five minutes into the second period of extra time, Morpeth went ahead after a brief moment of confusion when it wasn't clear if the ball had crossed the line or not.

Just when it appeared our Vase chances would be dashed at the first hurdle, we found another gear and an equaliser, when Carling managed to win the ball back on the right and Lambert's cross was slotted home at the back post by Do with only a minute remaining. (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80lfCMnq0Mc)

An enjoyable game and although it was annoying not to win, given the number of chances we created, there are plenty of positives to take. I lost count of the number of times we managed to carve open the Morpeth defence and on another day, Do could've had four or five. Lambert looked very dangerous when he came on and looks like an excellent signing. Anth had another excellent game in midfield and was MOTM as far as I'm concerned.

Replay up at Morpeth on Wednesday and it's a massive game, as I genuinely believe we can have a good run in the Vase this season. The winners will play Whitehaven at home, with Guisborough or Stokesley waiting in the next round.

There's always room for improvement but there have been plenty of encouraging signs this season and with the away league game at Newton Aycliffe rescheduled for next Saturday, we have a great chance for an early double.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 pm 

Agree with everything you said Mr MJ. The game should have been out of sight by half time but it was just to be one of those days. Several one on ones and their keeper did really well (we reckoned he was Phil Parkes who had Quantum Leaped from 1975!). Lots of positives and they were a very fit and quick team who broke away well. Danny Lambert looks quick and a quality player - with Charlo on the left we could have 2 very effective wide men.

It would be easy to be critical of the finishing but it's very early in the season and like I said the keeper was good, so hopefully the shooting boots will be on for Wednesday night and we'll get through. Fancy a match up with Guisborough if it all works out....bring it on!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm 

Lambert looks a quality player, few more minutes under his belt and he has the potential to terrorise defenders in this league. Thought we took our foot off the gas in the second half in all honesty and we can't afford to that in the big league games we have coming up.

Early days but I fancy our chances this season when we have our first choice strongest 11 fit and playing regularly.

Hopefully the attendance will be higher than the lowest gate of the season so far at 107 people but the gate suffered today with Stokesley Show, Middlesbrough and Marske United at home.