Marske United v Stokesley SC
Saturday 11th August, 3pm
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Match Preview Here:
http://www.marskeunitedfc.com/match-preview.htm

Post subject: Re: Marske United v Stokesley SC - Sat 11th August
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:53 pm 

Marske United Prediction Sheet Competition

Last chance to enter. Entries need to be in by 3pm tomorrow.

Forms can be downloaded from:
http://www.marskeunitedfc.com/PredictorSheet2012to13.doc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:06 pm 

Marske win 1-0 with a late direct free kick from David Onions. Both teams were surprisingly well matched and you probably couldn't have argued with a draw, although Marske had more chances but couldn't convert them. Good finish for the goal but we need to be sharper with the chances with much harder opposition to face. Still early days and the back four is taking shape nicely. Roll on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 pm 

Not sure that I agree withwhat you say about it could have been a draw Steve. Stokesley grafted hard but I don't think that Allison had a save to make (their number 9 missed their best chance when he headed over in the second chance). Marske missed a succession of chances, especially the Millington sitter from 5 yards out (sorry Billy) and could have had the game wrapped up by half time.

On the whole, we played out best football when we got the ball down and played it to feet and it was by doing this that we created our best chances. If I'm honest, there is a lot of improvement to make but this was out first game of the season and a win is a win however it happens and it puts us into the next round.

MOM selected by Arden Lettings was Leon Carling which was a decent choice. Tom Marron also played well and in Tom and Leon we look to have an excellent centre back pairing.

Good Luck to Stokesley for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 am 

Happy with the result, a win is a win at the end of the day. The team will gel more as the season progresses, exciting times ahead.
Agreed with the Marron and Carling partnership, looks a good one.

Sea Sea Seasiders!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:53 am 

I agree with what has already been said on here that ' a win is a win', an obvious statement I know, but we will need to improve on that performance if we want to make progress in the league. In my opinion (and we are all entitled to an opinion), based on yesterdays game, I think there were a few players who will find it difficult in the first division although I will be happy to be proved wrong. I know we had some top players missing i.e. Edwards, Collantine and Charlo who will all improve the team but its a long hard season and as they say 'its a squad game' and everyone must play their part. Mind you there were some good players on the bench who, based on the pre season games, (again in my opinion), I thought would have been in the starting eleven. Who knows, maybe some were being saved for next weeks first league game which will definitely be a much tougher match. However it does help if you can keep a clean sheet and I must agree that the defence is looking really solid at the moment and long may that continue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:31 pm 

ngtw and pp spot on with your assessments. Obvious from pre season and confirmed yesterday that several players are going to struggle in this league. As for the game it was awful. Barring the defence there was little to be positive about. Chris McGill ( i know hes one of your favourites PP ) what future has he at the club ? The best forward we have ( 1 of the best players we have ) cannot get in our team , when he was brought on wide left !!!!!! Hope Im proved wrong but its gonna be a long season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 pm 

Wasn't a great game to watch but I think we deserved to win.

We missed a number of good chances in the first half with the closest we came to a goal being Dekka's long range strike that was kept out by a combination of post and keeper, and Billy's shot over the bar from close range. We should have been ahead at half-time but Stokesley hadn't threatened at all.

Stokesley came out and had a go in the second half, enjoying much more possession but created few chances. Marske found some momentum again with the introduction of Gilly and I always felt we were more likely to win the game. The goal finally came in the last 20 minutes with Onions curling a cheeky free-kick around the wall, with the unsighted Stokesley keeper unable to react in time to keep the ball out.

Video below, complete with some slightly suspect dancing skills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsfDpvxIONw

We were able to see the rest of the game out without too much trouble, which is testament to the performance of the defence and I can't argue with the choice of Carling for MOTM.

Some may question the team selection but I think compared to last season, there will be more competition for places and with 46 league games to come, plus hopefully a cup run or two, I don't think anyone will be playing every game, week in, week out. We need to have a strong squad to get through this season and the level of talent we had on the bench yesterday shows we're heading in the right direction on that front.

It's also a relief that we were able to progress without needing a replay, unlike next week's opponents Newton Aycliffe, who now face a long midweek trip to Cumbria after drawing with Holker Old Boys yesterday.

Photos from travels around football grounds in the north of England (Latest update: Whickham):
http://anorthernsoultravels.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:16 pm 

Batman, must say some of your comments are dubious to say the least, but not gonna get into that, however u are entitled to your opinion.
It's gonna be a long tough season so we all need to stick together. Ive spoke to many lads in many a different NL team and as expected the performances weren't there, that's what happens in the first game due to nerves, over excitement, over enthusiasm, and a general lack of composure.
Things take time to gel but we will get there, and improve along the way.
As long as the lads are dedicated and show the commitment, which I know they are, that's all we can do.
It's one game and one win.
Wait until after 20 games, then judge us and then ok, that's the time to question the players and management, until then please stick with us. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:19 pm 

We were the better team 2nd half and created many more chances - on another day we'd have scored a few. If DO hadn't slotted that free kick (great video clip by the way Martin) it could well have been a draw NGTW :) Looking forward to Saturday and our first home game. As a Marske fan I'd love to see some cracking games and hopefully a finish above last season...but regardless of that good luck to the team and management, right behind you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 pm 

Do 1 wrote:
Batman, must say some of your comments are dubious to say the least, but not gonna get into that, however u are entitled to your opinion.
It's gonna be a long tough season so we all need to stick together. Ive spoke to many lads in many a different NL team and as expected the performances weren't there, that's what happens in the first game due to nerves, over excitement, over enthusiasm, and a general lack of composure.
Things take time to gel but we will get there, and improve along the way.
As long as the lads are dedicated and show the commitment, which I know they are, that's all we can do.
It's one game and one win.
Wait until after 20 games, then judge us and then ok, that's the time to question the players and management, until then please stick with us. Cheers

Dave,
Which one of Batman's quotes do you think is dubious? Is it the one about Gilly being the best forward at the club? Or was it the one about "Barring the defence there was little to be positive about" inferring their was nothing positive about the forwards. All this after 1 Game 1 Win 1 Goal......Gutted!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm 

I was mainly talking about the comment
"Obvious from pre season and confirmed yesterday that several players are going to struggle in this league",
Just makes me laugh how fickle some people are and how quick people make opinions on individuals after one competitive game.
All I'm saying is give people a chance and get behind the squad and give people a chance.
As for the forwards, we have 4 quality forwards and people are entitled to whom they prefer, I personally don't have anything to prove, just do my best for the club.
Let's just look forward to what will be a tough season. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm 

Let's not get bogged down with negativity so early in the season. Whilst I appreciate that each and every one of us has an opinion and the freedom to express it, we have all seen what it can do the morale of management, players and supporters. The season (league) has yet to kick off, I truly hope that we have a fantastic season, building on last years success (yes, I do see it as a success finishing justabove the drop).

The players have a job to do, as do management but lets back them all from the start. I think to start picking faults at this stage will only serve to frustrate the team rather than encourage them.

That's my opinion. C'mon supporters lets get behind the team and hopefully have a fantastic season in the league and FA Cup/Vase. We all enjoy the coach trips!!

S'mon you Seasiders.

Biggles
(AKA Andy Mole)