Monday 9th April 2012, 11am
STL Northern League Division 1

FREE entry to all Under-16's.

Match Preview Here:
http://www.marskeunitedfc.com/match-preview.htm

Post subject: Re: Marske United v Guisborough Town - Easter Monday 11am
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:44 pm 

Northern League Website wrote:
Marske United are turning the Easter Monday derby with Guisborough into an Easter special with all manner of additional attractions and free admission for under-16s. There’ll also be a free bouncy castle, an egg painting competition in a marquee at the end of the ground, an Easter egg hunt around the ground after the match and a half-time penalty competition between Marske and Guisborough Under 12s in which all participants will also receive an Easter egg. The game kicks off at 11am, activities until 2pm. They’re hoping for a big gate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 pm 

Easy! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:00 pm 

It sounds like it too mate. Final score : Marske 1 Guisbro' 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:12 pm 

I wasn't even actually there to tell the truth!! :oops: (I'm always out and about during the Holidays, so I miss this one every time).

Whatever happened, obviously I'm glad Guizzy won but also glad we'll still be playing you again next season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm 

Seeing as my dad (Pied Piper) was unable to make the game today, and with him being the match sponsor, I thought I would do a short report of how i saw todays game.

A typical end of season game, with Guisborough more up for it than us. A soft goal gave Guisborough the lead, but Marske had a great chance to draw level straight from the kick off, when Gilly went around the keeper, but from an acute angle, hit the post via a deflection from a defender who did well to get back to cover the stranded keeper.

A silly mix up at the back gave Guisborough a simple chance to Make it 2 nil, but we hit back with a daisy cutter of a free kick, which hit the post and spun across the goal line, and went in off the other post!

2nd half was littered with passes going astray from both teams, but Guisborough got a deserved third goal and more or less killed the game.

Owen came on, and hit the bar with his 1st touch, but Guisborough saw the game out as comfortable winners.

Crowd was decent, but seemed a lot more Guisborough fans than Marske which seemed wierd, but we congratulate them for cementing their place in the division.

Many thanks to Peter, & the commitee for the things they did for the kids today. My son Fynnlay enjoyed the bouncy castle, and the 4 creme eggs he found!

And thanks to Ailsa for the hot dogs we scoffed as we were leaving the club!!!!!!

I had the difficult task of picking a MOM which I chose Craig Skelton, who never stopped working all game, and got a deserved goal.

Marske will be safe, but hope the people involved both on and on the pitch stay involved for this great Northern League club.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:37 pm 

Marske could have easily got a draw on another day after gifting 2 early goals to Guisborough with defensive errors. We created enough chances but fair play to Guisborough on the win - they worked hard, had pace that did expose us down the flanks and took their chances.

Glad we will both meet again next season. Good to see Adam Gell back for a showing from the bench, and he did well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:17 pm 

To be fair stevie i think we were great value for three points today and totally outplayed marske for large periods of the game,said that im happy both clubs achieved there goal of consoldating first div football and will be interesting to see what happens next season....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:55 pm 

It's difficult to say anything positive about the Marske performance today but it was somewhat better than the performance on Saturday; that's about it! I'm glad I didn't have to pick the MOM and with Skelly frequently offside and committing fouls I personally couldn't have picked him.
After a good run from October to Christmas we're back to playing the same poor 'stuff' we played at the beginning of the season when we were getting killed by 5 or 6 goals. Several players from last year haven't made the move up to 1st Division which could have been predicted at the end of last year - but were re-signed before the season started as if that were 'good news' instead of let go to find there way in the 2nd Division or possibly the Sunday league. In my opinion a good manager would have been scouting well before the start of the season instead of settling for all of last seasons players. The positive signings in October/November worked out well but we seemed to regress last month with the re-signing of last years leavers.
An old adage says 'last years F1 car wont win this years GP'. I'm sure it would have been easier to recruit players for next season when we were 'flying high' in mid-table. Now that we're safe, I just hope we can draw some new talent when we finish 4th bottom (my prediction) just above Jarrow on goal difference but tied on points.
Why so critical? I just want the best for the club, players, staff and supporters. When I talk to the committee they seem to want the same but appear powerless to make any changes - let's hope that's not true as we certainly need to make many changes if we are to see positive results next year. 'Keep the faith'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:56 pm 

Ultimately, both teams have achieved their number one priority for the season which was to stay above the drop zone. I enjoyed our day at Marske and not just because we took home three points. I thought Marske had done an excellent job in looking to attract people to the game - free admission for under 16s, bouncy castle, Easter egg hunt, etc. I'll look forward to our clashes again next season. My take on the game can be found here...

http://www.farfromthemassivecrowds.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm 

Fair comment Gary, you played more football than us for sure. I think both keepers did really well and kept out a few chances at both ends - maybe I just choose to remember the goals we could have had! Look forward to the 2 derbies next season, should be cracking games.

SBYank - that was certainly critical and we all have our opinions. Playing Devil's Advocate I'd have to say that Marske don't have the financial clout of many other Division 1 clubs and that doesn't help in attracting new players. I personally thought it was right to give the lads who got us promotion a chance, and we saw some people leave after that chance had been given. If you got given a lump of money for getting promoted then I'd accept your comments on improving the squad - in reality it probably costs you more to go up so you need to find more sponsors which isn't easy in the current climate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm 

southbankwanker wrote:
It's difficult to say anything positive about the Marske performance today but it was somewhat better than the performance on Saturday; that's about it! I'm glad I didn't have to pick the MOM and with Skelly frequently offside and committing fouls I personally couldn't have picked him.
After a good run from October to Christmas we're back to playing the same poor 'stuff' we played at the beginning of the season when we were getting killed by 5 or 6 goals. Several players from last year haven't made the move up to 1st Division which could have been predicted at the end of last year - but were re-signed before the season started as if that were 'good news' instead of let go to find there way in the 2nd Division or possibly the Sunday league. In my opinion a good manager would have been scouting well before the start of the season instead of settling for all of last seasons players. The positive signings in October/November worked out well but we seemed to regress last month with the re-signing of last years leavers.
An old adage says 'last years F1 car wont win this years GP'. I'm sure it would have been easier to recruit players for next season when we were 'flying high' in mid-table. Now that we're safe, I just hope we can draw some new talent when we finish 4th bottom (my prediction) just above Jarrow on goal difference but tied on points.
Why so critical? I just want the best for the club, players, staff and supporters. When I talk to the committee they seem to want the same but appear powerless to make any changes - let's hope that's not true as we certainly need to make many changes if we are to see positive results next year. 'Keep the faith'.

Last edited by Rilo on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 pm 

Surely any manager/team would have struggled on there first season in div 1. i for one think the whole club from the commitee to the players and management deserve praise for a) getting us promoted out of div 2 and b0 for keeping us in div 1 and also putting in a few good performences along the way against teams who have a much bigger budget than we have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 pm 

Well said Stevie - spot on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 pm 

Rolo, let's keep the forum open to opinions/criticisms as we all seek the best for the club without lowering ourselves to crudeness.
Many of the supporters that surround me in the crowd are unhappy with many of the team choices, complete lack of any sort of plan, width or use of wide players, and poor or lack of commitment on many occasions. I've even said it heard that the players don't respect the manager on more that one occasion. And perhaps that goes for many of the fans?
Let's not pat ourselves on the back for mediocre performances. Guisboro and South Shields out performed us with superior passing and retention of the ball. Surely we all want to improve on these performances.
If we accept that the budget is the issue the we should accept 2nd Division football in 2013/14. Do we?