It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Marske 0 Billingham Synthonia 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:06 pm 

This was yet another disappointing performance from a Marske team that seems devoid of any confidence at the moment apart from 'Lips' who must be fed up of having to save us from a lot heavier defeats. Now I was one of the five Marske fans at Bedlington on Wednesday and the eleven who played in that game really put a shift in as they say. Young Burto was excellent at left back and Gilly was back to his best with at least six efforts on goal whilst playing in his favoured position up front. You couldn't have blamed the manager if he had decided to stick with the same eleven. However when I looked at starting eleven yesterday I thought we'll win this game, that is until I saw the formation they lined up in. Obviously football is all about opinions but I thought it was going to be 4 - 4 - 2 with Rawsy at right back (not Tom), Wheatley at centre half (not Rawsy) alongside Leon with John at left back (not Wheats). I expected a midfield four of Owen on the right, Tom and Gelly in the middle and Charlo on the left with Gilly and Thommo up front, but instead we got a 4 - 4 - 3 of Gell, McGill and John with a floating front three of Owen, Thommo and Charlo which often ended up as five in the middle instead.
Worryingly, although I could be wrong, I can't remember their keeeper being forced to make a save throughout the ninety minutes and feel, unless we play our players in their best positions and get back to playing 4 - 4 -2, then this winless run will continue. This defeat was by a team that we ran ragged in the second half at their place because we pressed them high up the pitch not allowing their fullbacks to get forward whereas yesterday they were marauding forward at will and causing us lots of problems. I felt sorry for Tom being moved to right back as you could see that he wasn't comfortable there and Gilly (who scored 7 of his current total of 8 goals in his first 15 games) never looks like scoring now he is being played in this deeper role. I know I'm biased about these two but I brought them both to the club and they are real assets when played in their best positions as are all players. I think Paul might be missing his right hand man to bounce things off too. Right that's my moans over with now. It's Billy Town at home next week and we definitely owe them one after losing a game that we controlled for at least 80% but came up against a keeper on the top of his game. I hope to be there but as I start twelve weeks of chemo tomorrow (monday) I don't know whether I'll pass a fitness test so may not be back for some time (if at all this season). However let's hope we can get back in the groove that brought us that fine unbeaten run not all that long ago. Sorry just noticed I haven't mentioned their two goals. The first one had been coming for ages as Lips had already made three great saves before Blyth was allowed to turn an score from the edge of the box. Half Time 1 - 0. The second was well taken after a poor back pass was intercepted but Lips saved Blyth's first shot forcing him wide but he cleverley found the net for his second of the game from a sharp angle to make the final score 2 - 0 to the visitors who were deserved winners.