It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Whickham 3 Brandon United 1
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:51 pm 

Team: Scott Cresswell. Nathan Johnstone. Jordan Lee. Alu Bangura (Joe Danquah). Liam Poppleton. Paul Cavanagh. Dan Streibelt.
Ross Peareth. Tony Thirkell (goal). Scott Swanston (goal) (Andrew Snaith). Sam MacIntosh (goal) (Craig Rook).

Unused subs: Zak Atkinson and Scot Goldsmith-Scott.

MOTM.

Post subject: Re: Whickham 3 Brandon United 1
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 pm 

A flattering scoreline to be honest and Beandon will feel they deserved a lot more.
I've said before we've been on the wrong end of key decisions by referees, today I think we got the breaks and somedays you hold your hands up and take the win.

We went behind early on got one back after Cavs pen was saved but Sam mac followed up to equalise. A scrappy first half was rounded off when Swanny scrambled in a goal just before half time to give us a 2-1 lead.

Second half Brandon came into the game and we defended very well with Poppy somehow clearing one goal bound effort off the line and scotty tipping a great save onto the post to keep our lead, Brandon also had a huge shout for a penalty turned Down, but as often happens if you don't turn pressure into goals you get punished and when a clearance was played up to Tony Thirkell he took a touch and from about 25 yards he blasted a shot in to make it 3-1. Great goal to finish off a scrappy win.

But a wins a win and we'll take it and our defending was determined and we kept our lead and finished it off when the chance came.

Brandon were good second half and they do as always try and get the ball down and play, we'll take it though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:35 pm 

I thought we played some decent football in the first half and deserved to go in 2-1 up at half time. Dan Steibelt was easily our best player during this period and Swanny worked his socks off as usual and deserved his goal. I wrote earlier that Swanny does his best work on his backside, well this was the perfect example. Well done son, keep up the good work. The penalty decision I think was a bit of luck for us, I don't think the ref. realized it was in the box when he whistled for a free kick and it was not until he got closer to the action that he had no other option than to give the pen. The second half was as you say a bit scrappy the only highlights being that save from Scotty Cresswell which was heading for the corner of the net and the goal by Tony Thirkell which must be a contender for goal of the month.
I enjoyed the game but could do without the heart palpitations of the final 15-20 minutes which we seem to get on a regular basis. Well done lads, looking forward to Thursday night.

Cliff (always on the) Edge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:13 pm 

Edited

With regards to THEIR penalty appeal (which I could not see, as I was stood in the opposite corner of the ground) I was informed the ball came up quickly from the Whickham players foot and hit his hand, it was not intentional, and it was not depriving an opposition player of a goalscoring opportunity. Mince through that.

My opinion on the explanation is 'Good call'.

Last edited by whickhamwanderer on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:17 am 

I presume that was the explanation for not giving a penalty against us in the second half, when the Brandon players and bench appealed as one. It certainly reflects the incident as I saw it from my distant viewpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:09 am 

I believe our penalty was for a push on Swanny mate not handball, the ref gave the foul and then seemed to realise it was in the box and had to give a penalty. As i said i thought we got the big decisions in our favour on saturday so we'll take it and move on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:48 am 

Appologies, I was explaining their pen appeal decision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:18 am 

I spoke to the ref and he said similar about their pen appeal. I was surprised he didnt book snapper for that kick at the end but he again felt it was accidental. I appreciate we got the big calls, ie both pens which could both of went either way but overall i did think the REf did quite well and he tried valiantly to not book players wherever possible which makes a change.

My good pals at Brandon certainly didnt agree he did ok, but its all about opinions i guess