It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Consistently Inconsistent
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Well, so far this season we're doing "okay" overall. We are in the top half of the table and have had some good results.

But we have also had some disappointing results, especially at home.

But I take responsibility for the poor home form , I'm obviously a Jonah - managed to watch two home games and two home defeats. As one wag in the stand said "Stay at home and we might have a chance. Come back when we are either assured of promotion or definitely relegated"

At the beginning of the season I would have been satisfied with 12 points from the first 8 games, so I shouldn't be complaining, but it is frustrating!

Post subject: Re: Consistently Inconsistent
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:46 pm 

It's an interesting one - the pressure is off us away and we can utilise our pace and trickery on the break; Hopson has also been a really great addition and seems to do well in these types of games. We're not faring as well at home as we're coming up against much more disciplined defensive outfits, two banks of four and all that, and the home crowd have sounded a bit restless at times, which probably translates onto the pitch. We seem to get a bit desperate at times and forget we haven't got Luke Armstrong up front any more - no point lumping it up to Maguire, good as he is, and if the oppo stop us playing then we're reduced to set pieces.

I don't know how we stack up in terms of size of club, budget and so on but I doubt we're in the top ten and as far as the current points total goes, that's a very decent start. Realistically, this is a tough league, really the last of the genuine semi-pro leagues and even then, there are some pro teams; I'd be happy to stay out of the bottom half but we should be ambitious and see how high we can go, and I'm sure that's the plan. We were lucky to get the win yesterday and could easily have drawn at Gainsborough had that penalty gone in, but we've mostly made our luck and our strikers have all opened their accounts, so that's a good thing. Also, Jameson looks a top 'keeper. We do need to tighten up at the back - we're always going to be in with a chance of scoring in any game but the fact none of us would have been comfortable 3-0 up yesterday tells its own story in terms of the work still needing to be done defensively.

Armstrong is absolutely spot on in his post-match assessments - we are too nice, not ruthless at all, and that's also the main reason why we never seem to get anything out of local derbies in particular - one point from twelve against Darlo and Spenny in the past two seasons and I'm not sure that will change this year. There's a reason why we won all those Fair Play awards... It's also why, while we'll out-football about half the teams in this league on a good day, there'll be a hardcore of six or seven teams who we won't get near unless we can somehow change our game on those occasions. Interesting that, in the games we've lost, we haven't scored at all - we've just been a bit bullied out of it. On the other hand, to sacrifice the flair aspect of our game and just grind out results would take away from who we are, and most teams are either one or the other. Also I quite like supporting a team that isn't a bunch of knobs. Maybe if we could just get hold of a Chris Swailes type (it's a shame Richard Pell isn't a couple of years younger), that would sort us out. Our last good season at this level was built on Swailes and Buchanan at the back and Michael Tait snapping into tackles 20 yards in front of them. But then they don't come round very often. I'd break the bank for Gary Brown but I doubt Darlo would ever let him go!

All in all, we're doing well - it's a 7/10, B Grade so far, and the management team is really grounded and full of good sense. Probably it's the case that you'll only get real consistency with professional status so as long as we remain in this league with our current set-up, we'll have our ups and downs but it keeps life interesting and it's been great to be part of so far.

Predictions for FCUM... 3-3?!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:59 pm 

I agree with you apart from the well disciplined sides because North Ferriby were woeful and we weren't much better .It was like watching school football it was that bad, but apart from that weve done ok . :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:13 am 
Site Admin

Was that our first ever victory against FCUM ?

Another great away win, we just need to get a few home wins .....

HOWAY BLYTH !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:12 pm 

Great 2 wins aesy from home .
Now 3 home games on bounce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:39 pm 

Great win, FCUM are struggling but historically it's a difficult place to go and we have to be happy with our points haul so far.
Great finish from Maguire for the third and Dale seems to have really played himself in now.
Yep by all accounts the NFU game was a shocker but hopefully that's out of our system - two more big teams coming our way now, looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:12 pm 

Got to agree
A great start to the season with some impressive results , scoring plenty goals to boot.
My only concern is the amount of goals conceded.
could do with another commanding vocal nasty centre half to compliment present players
I am sure there must be some local lads willing to step up and give it a go.
Equally I am sue Armstrong is doing all that he can to get one in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm 

bouncer wrote:
I am sure there must be some local lads willing to step up and give it a go.

If anything, we need to be casting our net a little further.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 am 

Conceding poor goals seems to be a theme across the whole league - great result for us, but Boston's defending was woeful! They were still on the coach.
Fair play to Buddle, though - three goals so far, and they got another clean sheet vs Chorley. There's nothing wrong with Buds and Hutchinson as such, they're both great players at this level and we're lucky to have them; it's just a bit more experience in the squad would help, particularly against certain opponents - i.e. Pell did a good job for us at key moments last year - and also as cover, as inevitably we won't be able to get through the whole season with two central defenders.
At the other end, 10 goals from Maguire by mid-September is a superb return - he must be top scorer in the league by now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:34 pm 

Another 5 conceded today , mainly from headers
leader required ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:31 am 

Yes it was another disappointing one defensively and it could have been 7 or 8. We could have also scored 6 or 7 - I don't think Kidderminster were much better at the back, but it does seem to be our Achilles' heel at the moment and has been for a little while really. Ultimately it's quite an effective tactic to crowd the 'keeper and pack the six-yard box and they pulled it off well.