It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Promotion Form
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, but our current form is terrible, and we should perhaps forget about promotion at the end of this season.

One win and one draw in the last 5 is relegation form, never mind promotion form.

I'm going for a glass of "pop" or three , hopefully I'll rediscover some optimism .... but on current form I'm doubtful

Post subject: Re: Promotion Form
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:02 pm 

Poor form of late but teams do usually have a dip at some point. We've had some injuries and maybe we're more of a known quantity now. Those two Spenny games were key, really. We had a similar year under Mick Tait, when we were going well at this level, came up against a comparable club at the time in Workington, in terms of size/budget/ambition, and took one point from the two derby games. We fell away to upper mid-table I think. Maybe Spenny have a bigger budget but it strikes me we're about the same size of non-league club, i.e. a top regional semi-pro side but not in the same category as your moneybags Salford or as the big ex-League clubs like Stockport and York. So it was a good test and a bit disappointing to lose the points. But - we've done pretty well over recent years and there's more than enough time to recover our form. One problem under Tait was there was a little bit of a 'mercenary' element to the squad - half the team ran off to Harrogate, I seem to remember - but a lot of the current side have been here since the early days of Tom Wade's rebuilding job and with the added financial support Alun Armstrong has been talking about re the 1899 Club, we seem more competitive in terms of keeping hold of these players. I'm pretty confident we'll recover and we might get ourselves back in the top 5 or 6. Armstrong also has the kind of measured approach that should ensure we don't panic and get too carried away whatever happens.
At the start of the season I'd have taken top ten, no problem - we have a great young squad but this is a 'big league' and we might just have to walk before we can run etc. Having said that, top seven seems more manageable and less psychologically intimidating than top five, so we might manage it.
I've lost track of the play-off system this year, by the way - is this the year they're expanding the league clubs to 100? Just wondering why it's seven teams in the promotion zone - are four teams going up from each of the two feeder leagues? In which case, although we'd be slightly punching above our weight, this is probably the year to really go for it...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:08 pm 

you boys took a helluva beating today lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

It’s a funny old game - a good win keeps us in with a shout.

Brackley had the “meanest “ defence in the division, and yet we seemed comfortable against them and scored three.

Still all to play for ... :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, another 3 points and consolidate a position of 4th

I know that other teams have games in hand, but as the old saying goes “ rather have points on the board”

A play off place is looking a distinct possibility .... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Perhaps that defeat at bottom club North Ferriby United was the result that means we won’t make the play offs.

15 defeats so far this season does not make promotion form. Yes, I know we are in a play off place, but we haven’t exactly earned promotion, have we?

Bearing in mind that the play offs will be against teams with a similar playing record to ours, I doubt that we’ll be playing National League football next season.

I sincerely hope that I’m wrong of course, because ironically if we do go up I believe we will hold our own there.