It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: New year, new luck?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:34 pm 

Great win for Whitby Town at Workington to endtheir 17 match unbeaten run and our 16 game winless nightmare. Hopefully the start of a turnaround for us.

Post subject: Re: New year, new luck?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 am 

Hi There Goose, Just out of interest what's happened to Whitby of late, I had high hopes for Whitby at the start of the season, Now all I see is either players leaving and Whitby losing games??, Speaking as a South Shields supporter I know we seam to play pre season frendlies against each other and have been very impressed with your club.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:29 am 

We lost three very good, influential players, some you will be familiar with. A couple were in quite negative circumstances. A couple of others followed as the manager looked to freshen things up, but yeah it's been a struggle all season with our top scorer and goalkeeper both departing for moves upwards. Major transitional period and we're relieved only one club goes down this season, though not out of the woods yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am 

Hope you come through this difficult period, I know not just speaking for myself but for the vast majority of South Shields supporters we all have a soft spot for Whitby, Hopefully we will meet next season, Some tough games to be played before the season ends, Evo Stick North is one hell of a tough league, Some very good teams, and that's not just Scarbrough & Hyde.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am 

Absolutely, we're always pleased to see North East teams taking the plunge and leaving the Northern League. Certainly Scarborough would be our derby, but yourselves would be the next closest and a very welcome addition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am 

Hopefully we are joined by both Morpeth & Marske Utd next season, Two very good clubs, run by good people, Even though they might be taking by suprise how good the quality of the whole league is, Unlike the Northern League, Yes the top clubs are good but you know they will beat the botton end clubs, Not the case in the Evo-Stick, You pretty much need to be on your game every game in this league.

As for my team South Shields, 40ys out of the Northern Premier league, It's great to be back, Everyone and every ground make you feel welcome, Some great supporters, Loads of new friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm 

Great to hear you're enjoying the ride. Morpeth would be very reluctant to move up, it seems, but not their decision! Marske would be great as it's just up the road. Hopefully Pickering from the other direction too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 am 

Morpeth do have a long trek from Northumberland so i can kind of understand there reluctants from moving up at this moment in time, However personally for this season only the FA should have asked the Northern League to allow two or three clubs to move up "Who wish to step up" I.e Bishop Auckland, Consett & Shildon, Based on there grounds and finances passing the Evo-Stick league's criteria, Then say for example the 2019/20 season make promotion mandatory, This would then be more appealing for the likes of Morpeth as suddenly there could be at least three North East clubs in the Evo-Stick League making travel less an issue, What I'm not a fan of is the likes of Morpeth paying big bucks on wages and then stopping other clubs who wish to make the step up impossible, Saying that not just Morpeth but one or two other clubs will have to make big decisions over the next 12-18 months, Do they stay a Big Fish in a Small Pond or do they finally mix it with the big boys by stepping up a level??, As you know I'm a South Shields supporter we on paper should win on Saturday against Mossley Fc, But I'll say this much, We will have to earn the right for three points, Sometimes in the Northern League last season most games were won by half time, Hence why I'm enjoying the Evo-Stick games, much prefer to watch a close fought 2.1 win than watching easy 4 Nil wins every week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am 

Agree completely on all points. West Auckland bunged up the division for long enough, Spennymoor too before they finally decided to leave when it suited them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm 

How did west Auckland bung up the Division Goose?? Never won the league only ever finished 2nd and 4th ??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm 

Top three has been a potential promotion place for a few years now. If the Northern League promoted consistently, there'd be no need for any of the changes going on over the summer.