It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Midlands League
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 pm 

The EVO-STIK League Southern is looking forward to playing its part in Non-League’s brand new pyramid after the Football Association announced the results of the biggest shake-up to the structure of the grassroots game in more than a decade.

The EVO-STIK League Southern was chosen on Thursday to manage and run the new Step 3 division which is being created for the start of the 2018-19 season. This follows a long-awaited review of Steps 3 and 4 of the National League System to iron out geographical anomalies, cut down on travelling costs and time for fans, players and officials and encourage more Step 5 clubs to climb the pyramid.

Announced in Sunday’s Non-League Paper before a press embargo was lifted on Monday, the first major restructuring of the game since 2004 will also see the creation of a new Step 4 division which will be run by the Isthmian League.

In total, the 276 clubs currently playing in Steps 1 to 4 will increase by 20 to 296 when the two new divisions kick-off in August 2018. Across the board, the reshuffle will see the three current Step 3 divisions of 24 clubs increase to four divisions of 22 clubs while the six Step 4 divisions currently run by the Northern Premier League, Isthmian League and Southern League will rise from 136 clubs playing in six divisions to seven 20 club divisions.

Post subject: Re: Midlands League
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 pm 

I hope those leagues taking charge doesn't suggest that will be where the new leagues will cover...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:13 pm 

My understanding is the NPL also bid to help set up / run the new league - the administrators aren't in place for a new competition just yet and candidates may well be drawn from outside the existing administrative set up or from lower down (where the logistics are of a different scale) so I think the jolly southerners will just hold their hands for a couple of seasons until the shake up is complete, then hand over control to a new entity as the Midlands Premier League takes shape.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 pm 

goose wrote:
I hope those leagues taking charge doesn't suggest that will be where the new leagues will cover...

I know someone involved in the restructuring & he said it should roughly cover the following area: Shrewsbury-Wash-Dunstable-Hereford & back up the Welsh border to Shrewsbury. The NPL will sit North of this, the SLP will sit South of this & the Isthmian will sit Southeast of this(including East Anglia).

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 am 

That's never been the midlands

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:47 am 

alex ilkeston wrote:

It pretty much looks like the Midlands to me. I suppose parts of the East coast could be argued against. But Shewsbury & Hereford for instance have local clubs in the WMRL. Dunstable is close to Northampton & that's classed as the south Midlands & if you look at places like Stamford/Spalding/Grantham then they are in the East Midlands. I guess the Northeast Midlands around parts of Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire could be excluded & end up in the NPL footprint. But there has to be dividing line. Why where do you class as the Midlands?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 am 

Windy1970 wrote:

I know someone involved in the restructuring & he said it should roughly cover the following area: Shrewsbury-Wash-Dunstable-Hereford & back up the Welsh border to Shrewsbury. The NPL will sit North of this, the SLP will sit South of this & the Isthmian will sit Southeast of this(including East Anglia).[/quote]

That would seem to have very little impact on this league, with the NPL Prem only losing Stour, Yeltz, Sutton and Rushall, possibly Barwell and Coalville depending on where you draw the line on the Wash, the Boston side or the Kings Lynn side. A team like Telford would be border country and it's a fair bit further to Blyth than Brighton if they were relegated, and there will be three leagues below that line and one north of it! At least if the M25 league get a wake-up call and have to incorporate some travel then a bit of good will come out of it - I appreciate London's a nightmare to get around... tried the M60 recently?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:18 am 

Ah thanks for that. Agree, it won't take more than 6-7 teams, at most, from us. But HOPEFULLY it will tempt the North Easterners out of their slumber. If they had continued promoting every year since us in 97, there would be no problem at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 am 

Windy1970 wrote:
alex ilkeston wrote:

It pretty much looks like the Midlands to me. I suppose parts of the East coast could be argued against. But Shewsbury & Hereford for instance have local clubs in the WMRL. Dunstable is close to Northampton & that's classed as the south Midlands & if you look at places like Stamford/Spalding/Grantham then they are in the East Midlands. I guess the Northeast Midlands around parts of Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire could be excluded & end up in the NPL footprint. But there has to be dividing line. Why where do you class as the Midlands?

I think the FA have thought how they are to get around the fact that teams don't apply. That's why the FA are going to scrap Grade E(ground grading), the requirement for promotion up to step 4. The FA are going to beef up Grade F(the current requirement for step 5)& then rename it Grade E. So this satisfies step 3/4 leagues in regards to the fact that they aren't accepting substandard grounds into there leagues. Then the FA will introduce compulsory promotion & no team will be able to wriggle out of it. This maybe a bit harsh, but the message sent out from the NPL talks about an 8th step 4 planned for the future. This is when I believe the pyramid will actually work & will not be a financially burden clubs as much as it does now. Hopefully by then the NPL1(hopefully east) will contain 8-10 former NL clubs & the furthest south they'd have to travel would be Sheffield.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:51 pm 

Windy1970 wrote:
alex ilkeston wrote:

I would class Nottingham and derby as in the midlands and at a push maybe Sheffield.

I would say for the northern teams that the m62 would be the cut off line.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 pm 

alex ilkeston wrote:
Windy1970 wrote:
alex ilkeston wrote:

I would class Nottingham and derby as in the midlands and at a push maybe Sheffield.

Sheffield isn't in the Midlands, but obviously Derby, Lincoln & Notts are in the North Midlands. With places like Stafford & Shrewsbury as the Northwest Midlands. But you then have to determine where the South Midlands are? Usually Herefordshire to Northamptonshire is classed as the South Midlands.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm 

alex ilkeston wrote:
Windy1970 wrote:
alex ilkeston wrote:

Sheffield isn't in the Midlands, but obviously Derby, Lincoln & Notts are in the North Midlands. With places like Stafford & Shrewsbury as the Northwest Midlands. But you then have to determine where the South Midlands are? Usually Herefordshire to Northamptonshire is classed as the South Midlands.[/quote]

Like I said at a push about sheffield.

Nottingham and derby are classed as east midlands.

Just think the northern section is going to be 1 big area to cover.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 pm 

I would say for the northern teams that the m62 would be the cut off line.[/quote]
Sheffield isn't in the Midlands, but obviously Derby, Lincoln & Notts are in the North Midlands. With places like Stafford & Shrewsbury as the Northwest Midlands. But you then have to determine where the South Midlands are? Usually Herefordshire to Northamptonshire is classed as the South Midlands.[/quote]

Like I said at a push about sheffield.

Nottingham and derby are classed as east midlands.

Just think the northern section is going to be 1 big area to cover.[/quote]
There are two main reasons: 1) the lack of teams over the years being promoted from the EBAC NL up to the NPL & above. Has pushed the southern boundary of the NPL southwards. This will take many years to reverse, even with compulsory promotion for champions from step
2) The shape of the country only seems to benefit the Isthmian league. I guess the Midlands league will have reasonable distances to travel. But the clubs from the northeast & southwest will continue to struggle & unless there's further restructuring, I can't see it significantly change.

Last edited by Windy1970 on Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 pm 

lets hope they take into account coastal erosion when inviting teams into this league :D

long time overdue too.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 am 

Being from West Yorkshire, I always consider Sheffield as 'down South'. The Midlands is probably Barnsley?