All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Hello all
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm 

eightiesrobin wrote:
do228 wrote:
So I expect segregation again when a BIG club like Matlock visit :wink:

You were segregated in the FA cup game, no?

Yes, do not know why, leas that a thousand punters turned up.

Halifax, no segregation
Solihull Moors, no segregation
Barrow, segregation but that is understandable, we would not want the outside world to be contaminated by the locals!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:52 am 

They segregated Leek Town in the trophy four seasons ago, think the total crowd that day was around 600.

In the National League, a fair few teams weren't segregated - Boreham Wood, Eastleigh, Dover, Braintree, Forest Green, Woking, Welling, Nuneaton, even Kidderminster one year. They sometimes open the gate at half-time, I remember this happening against Aldershot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:56 am 

Yabber Dabber 2 wrote:
Welcome, really looking forward to our (Nantwich) Bank holiday clashes with you, be good to have a Cheshire derby this season, we might even have 2 if Witton can pull their fingers out.

It will make a change to play Alty in a league game instead of a Cheshire Cup game or pre season friendly.

Thanks for the welcome.

It will be interesting to see the Boxing Day / New Years Day games - I rather suspect it will be Nantwich, or maybe Witton if promoted. In the recent past, we've had Droyslden, Stalybridge, Chester (twice) and FCUM this season. I guess Stalybridge will have Ashton next year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 am 

St Albans GTFC wrote:
Looking forward to finally going to Altrincham next season, the one time we played each other in the FA Trophy in 1980 I couldn't go to the replay as I was at Art College. That was when you had a great side, Graham Heathcote and all...Alex Stepney in goal too. The first game was a 1-1 draw at London Road infront of 1,128 but even a Robbie Cooke hat trick wasn't enough in the replay as we lost 6-3. I much prefer going to places that feel like proper grounds and clubs with a bit of history. Non League, and even the EFL, are increasingly full of monied clubs coming from nowhere. I remember us playing at Kidderminster when they only had 350 there and Forest Green when any crowd over 100 was a stressful event for their turnstiles!

It will be interesting to see how you fare. It's been a competitive league this season all the way through and I don't see any reason for that to change next year. The whole Vardy thing as well has meant Premier league clubs have suddenly started dipping into the NPL looking for talent, all this has made things quite interesting.

I don't quite understand the need by some people for the league to reduce it's boundaries and I'm not a fan of the new Midland Prem League idea. I've enjoyed all the long trips, well, they're all long trips from Hertfordshire but I think it adds interest. Even coming back from Ashton on a Tuesday night after an injury time defeat felt like an experience I wouldn't forget. Parochialism has been one of the issues around the Northern League and even a 'pure' NPL still means some long trips (Whitby to Workington). I'm sure as a fan of a team that has played a lot of National League football, trips to Coalville and the like are not going to be too stressful!

We've lost a few bigger clubs in recent years (FCUM, Chorley, Darlington) so it will be nice to have one back in return and hopefully a few travelling fans too. You might find a few grounds a bit of a culture shock...Barwell, Coalville and Shaw Lane...likewise with their crowds too, I don't think I've ever seen a single Barwell fan travel to the Meres!

Doesn't seem to be much activity on this forum (you should have been here last summer when we were getting 50 posts a minute from Spennymoor fans detailing their every move!)...the Facebook group has a bit more chat.

Looking forward to it even if you're probably not!

Thanks for the welcome. Altrincham's away following held up quite well this season, considering how badly the team has fared. I don't go to many away games (only did Stockport this year), but will do more next season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 pm 

St Albans GTFC wrote:
Looking forward to finally going to Altrincham next season, the one time we played each other in the FA Trophy in 1980 I couldn't go to the replay as I was at Art College. That was when you had a great side, Graham Heathcote and all...Alex Stepney in goal too. The first game was a 1-1 draw at London Road infront of 1,128 but even a Robbie Cooke hat trick wasn't enough in the replay as we lost 6-3. I much prefer going to places that feel like proper grounds and clubs with a bit of history. Non League, and even the EFL, are increasingly full of monied clubs coming from nowhere. I remember us playing at Kidderminster when they only had 350 there and Forest Green when any crowd over 100 was a stressful event for their turnstiles!

It will be interesting to see how you fare. It's been a competitive league this season all the way through and I don't see any reason for that to change next year. The whole Vardy thing as well has meant Premier league clubs have suddenly started dipping into the NPL looking for talent, all this has made things quite interesting.

I don't quite understand the need by some people for the league to reduce it's boundaries and I'm not a fan of the new Midland Prem League idea. I've enjoyed all the long trips, well, they're all long trips from Hertfordshire but I think it adds interest. Even coming back from Ashton on a Tuesday night after an injury time defeat felt like an experience I wouldn't forget. Parochialism has been one of the issues around the Northern League and even a 'pure' NPL still means some long trips (Whitby to Workington). I'm sure as a fan of a team that has played a lot of National League football, trips to Coalville and the like are not going to be too stressful!

We've lost a few bigger clubs in recent years (FCUM, Chorley, Darlington) so it will be nice to have one back in return and hopefully a few travelling fans too. You might find a few grounds a bit of a culture shock...Barwell, Coalville and Shaw Lane...likewise with their crowds too, I don't think I've ever seen a single Barwell fan travel to the Meres!

Doesn't seem to be much activity on this forum (you should have been here last summer when we were getting 50 posts a minute from Spennymoor fans detailing their every move!)...the Facebook group has a bit more chat.

Looking forward to it even if you're probably not!

Did we mention we're in the playoff final tomorrow against Stourbridge? :wink:

Conference North

Mind that Gap Bishop ^^^^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:18 pm 

I bet you still haven't got a drinks sponsor though! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm 

eightiesrobin wrote:
I couldn't tell you if games will be segregated. Not all games were segregated this season, or even in the National League for that matter. I think the powers that be take a view based on the size of the away following.

I'm well aware we could fall straight through, like Hyde. We shall see. Regarding the new manager, there are whispers, but no official announcement yet. Current managers have been told their services are no longer required though.

Nantwich Manager Parkinson gone to u 2day , probably take 7 or 8 players with him Yabber Dabber 2 not going be happy Dabber , bit like us , when Nicky Law after getting us back into NPL , but he moved a league up :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:22 am 

Nibbler wrote:
eightiesrobin wrote:
I couldn't tell you if games will be segregated. Not all games were segregated this season, or even in the National League for that matter. I think the powers that be take a view based on the size of the away following.

I'm well aware we could fall straight through, like Hyde. We shall see. Regarding the new manager, there are whispers, but no official announcement yet. Current managers have been told their services are no longer required though.

Nantwich Manager Parkinson gone to u 2day , probably take 7 or 8 players with him Yabber Dabber 2 not going be happy Dabber , bit like us , when Nicky Law after getting us back into NPL , but he moved a league up :twisted:

Yes, heard the official announcement (it wasn't unexpected). I dare say he'll have a few squad places to fill over the summer.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:13 am 

Welcome eightiesrobin, and to you all at Alty, from all of us at Marine.
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:19 am 

yaskas8 wrote:
Welcome eightiesrobin, and to you all at Alty, from all of us at Marine.
:wink:

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm 

Always had good times at Alty and always been a cracking atmosphere. Looking forward to renewing a rivalry that has plenty of history to it.

On one particular visit to Alty (20+ years ago) we got ran through the town centre......not sure my 14st (conservative estimate) body could take that again!!

Looking forward to being back in the Prem, although the D1S does have it's charms..... unfortunately a Tuesday night at Shaw Lane is not one of them!

UTA

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm 

Boston segregated about 30 Whitby fans a few years back, but still let home fans through a gate to use the away end toilets. Comical.